Secret no-fly list causes Bangkok holiday nightmare

webfact

Why would a med student, taking a year off, visiting Pakistan and Indonesia, joining a "conservative" Islam mission, draw suspicion?

I think that if one looks back over the last few years (0/11, Madrid, London, and few other places) one knows the answer. It may be totally unfair to an innocent person concerned, but it is done for the protection of all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kcal9.com

I wonder why he has the potential for the no-fly list?

Got me stumped ... rolleyes.gif

Actually he's probably lucky that he didn't get the "special" C-130 flight to Gitmo. Just saying...whistling.gif

Do they have inflight entertainment and upgrading?

After 9-11 I was on a list and at the time I was flying a lot as part of my business and would take about 5 flights a month flying from Central America to the US and Europe and I was stopped MULTIPLE TIMES on every single flight for extra security checks even prior to boarding the planes I was pulled out and checked yet again, this happened for about a year DID i GET PISSED off ? no I understood that we are fighting a new war and was happy to comply answer questions and show them their time would be better spent focusing on other people. I even offered to be interviewed so they could take me off the list however they said they cannot and there is no way to get off so in the end I was on FIRST NAME TERMS with the security personal at IAH houston as they had checked me so many times we laughed about it.

dk

FYI Central America consists of 7 countries, none of which contain a city/airport named Houston, AFAIK.

kcal9.com

Actually he's probably lucky that he didn't get the "special" C-130 flight to Gitmo. Just saying...whistling.gif

Do they have inflight entertainment and upgrading?

Yes they got watersports, and the food is very nutritional although you are required to eat it.

The irony here is that thanks to the US making an active stand against the threat, posters have the freedom to believe that holograms trashed the twin towers.

Why would a med student, taking a year off, visiting Pakistan and Indonesia, joining a "conservative" Islam mission, draw suspicion?

I saw no reference to his taking a year off to go to Pakistan and Indonesia,

only Thailand is mentioned in the article.

He was en route from Indonesia apparently, where he'd previously met up with Tablighi Jamaat.

Seattle Times

The heading leads that he was on a Bangkok Holiday. Who really knows what he was doing.

After 9-11 I was on a list and at the time I was flying a lot as part of my business and would take about 5 flights a month flying from Central America to the US and Europe and I was stopped MULTIPLE TIMES on every single flight for extra security checks even prior to boarding the planes I was pulled out and checked yet again, this happened for about a year DID i GET PISSED off ? no I understood that we are fighting a new war and was happy to comply answer questions and show them their time would be better spent focusing on other people. I even offered to be interviewed so they could take me off the list however they said they cannot and there is no way to get off so in the end I was on FIRST NAME TERMS with the security personal at IAH houston as they had checked me so many times we laughed about it.

dk

FYI Central America consists of 7 countries, none of which contain a city/airport named Houston, AFAIK.

Well let me try and clear that up since you cant follow it, I was flying into and out of IAH Houston via central America Belize to be exact and since I was a frequent flyer with continental at the time and houston was their base that is where all my flights went to for connections wherever I was flying.

dk

DK is not wrong.

I think the whole world is very lucky that you don't have the qualifications to be in charge! Why does it matter what someone LOOKS like people are still people and deserve respect from others!!

Nah......someone who dresses and looks like a terrorist deserves suspicion before respect.

Terrorists don't consider you to be a person, so why would you say people are still people?

Suspicion before respect.

This is the kind of completely and utterly unfounded sloganeering that is based on fear, prejudice, hate and ignorance that needs to be quashed whenever it surfaces.

The depth and breadth of this complete and utter nonsense finds fertile soil in fear-addled, dumbed-down, dis informed, mind-controlled populations.

And we have hundreds of complete and utter dupes on this site who jump on it every chance hey get.

wouldn't it be easier and quicker just to say, people with a different view to yoursbiggrin.png

"i was not awaree that muslim was synonymous with terrorist."

No, but the word 'terrorist' is almost exclusively synonymous with 'muslim'.

some postings can almost exclusively be associated with the attribute dumb² whistling.gif

• Like 1

dk

Well let me try and clear that up since you cant follow it, I was flying into and out of IAH Houston via central America Belize to be exact and since I was a frequent flyer with continental at the time and houston was their base that is where all my flights went to for connections wherever I was flying.

My apologies. I assumed you were using the colloquial "america" as applied to the USA.

Yes, I am American, and no...I am not always happy about the extreme measures that have been implemented for passenger security. Its reasonable to expect delays, as well as be questioned about suspicious activity. George Orwell predicted that, by 1984, Big Brother would be all over our <deleted>. Just paying attention to recent news stories about our lack of privacy, this prediction has now come about. For those of us who have nothing to hide, its just an inconvenience. I cannot believe that things will get easier. The fact is that aircraft mishaps (caused by hijackings) seem to be diminishing. I travel alone and have spent most of my adult life (I am 58) in foreign countries. Perhaps I am perceived as a "suspicious person' because of that. NPA (no permanent address)....by choice of lifestyle. I realize I can throw up some red flags, and have been shifted around more than a few airports. Not actually detained, but removed from my flight just before boarding and told to wait for the next flight. Sometimes its just the surprised look from the Check-In people when they issue my boarding pass. I never take this personal. As our world gets more complicated (and populated) we will probably find that "Big Brother" is not just the USA, but rather a band of "Allies". Common sense would dictate that just one country, playing the role of Big Brother, would not succeed by itself. The future does not have to be Bleak....but the future of terrorism, I hope, will become soundly bleak. Perhaps one day, perhaps, we can have a good old fashioned "Parlez" with those cultures that seemed to feel they have been dealt an a bad hand of cards. Anyways, for now, lets just give them easy Credit for a new car and a piece of land. Then send in the Chinese to collect the bills......

9042494_vk.jpg

kcal9.com

IS this his REAL pic?

If so, I guess would spook many.

This is a photo from the news conference upon his arrival at LAX.

There is an article that can be read, along with many other items, if you Google his name.

You can come up with such things as his Facebook page, possibly another item that drew suspicion.

https://www.facebook.com/rehan.motiwala.5

I see nothing suspicious on his facebook page.

Check again!!!

This is a travesty of justice. If USA has any reason to suspect this guy:

1) He should not have been allowed to leave USA

2) Any possibility of terrorism could have been neutralized by USA requiring extra security scanning of individual and belongings.

People are too accepting of the infringement of civil liberties by USA since the 911 incident.

How long had this guy been out of the US?

Ever consider that his tour of Pakistan and Indonesia might have prompted this no-fly endorsation?

Exactly what do you think the no fly list is other than " extra security scanning of individuals..."

This is a travesty of justice. If USA has any reason to suspect this guy:

1) He should not have been allowed to leave USA

2) Any possibility of terrorism could have been neutralized by USA requiring extra security scanning of individual and belongings.

People are too accepting of the infringement of civil liberties by USA since the 911 incident.

How long had this guy been out of the US?

Ever consider that his tour of Pakistan and Indonesia might have prompted this no-fly endorsation?

Exactly what do you think the no fly list is other than " extra security scanning of individuals..."

There are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to begin. Why would a US citizen wander around an airport for 10, or 4 days, or even two hours and not call the US embassy? And, why would an American is such a situation refuse to talk to US representatives - I mean...<deleted>?? Of course, there's the problem with being on the no-fly list but he certainly does not help himself by being so obstinate when stranded in foreign airport. Did he think he was charming his way out of the situation? Gawd! I have little sympathy for the US efforts regarding terrorism when they act like idiots in this case, but this passenger one-upped (or one-downed) them by being such a dick.

What a great way to disarm and disrupt valid no-fly protection and defence practices, train and set -up dodgy looking non-active terrorist type/looking people (yes looks do count as it is part of profiling which Israeli security have been using successfully for years) to create doubt in the legality and false-positive hit rate and use that as a stepping stone for liberal politics to dismantle probably the most effective tool preventing airline based terror there is.

No-fly lists are so much more effective than the stage show theater that is pat-downs of granny in her wheelchair or 3 year olds and their teddies.

I think the whole world is very lucky that you don't have the qualifications to be in charge! Why does it matter what someone LOOKS like people are still people and deserve respect from others!!

Nah......someone who dresses and looks like a terrorist deserves suspicion before respect.

Terrorists don't consider you to be a person, so why would you say people are still people?

I would be very surprised if you have ever seen an active terrorist dressed like this.

• Like 1

Being on a no fly list for an American trying to return home from a far off place like Thailand is different than a no fly list for a domestic U.S. flight. There, you can just drive or take a bus.

How do you get to the U.S. from Thailand without flying? The U.S. government if they are going to deny such boardings in Thailand needs to provide a way for citizens to get home, even if that means to jail or Gitmo.

Edited by Jingthing

dk

...5 flights a month flying FROM Central America to the US and Europe...

EDIT: Sorry hadn't refreshed and I see my post is redundant. I do note however that my suspicion was correct: the erroneous post was made because of that odd and sometimes obsessive grievance that some people have with Americans referring to their country as "America"...

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

Okay BrianCR - on YOUR next long-distance flight, we will seat you next to this "don't-judge-a-book-by-its-cover" guy - see how YOU like that ! ! ! !

When in Rome ! ! ! ! !

This 'Medical Student' needs a shave and a bath and one helluva lot of deodorant !! !!

He looks like 1/2 Man; 1/2 Possum FCS ! ! ! !

Freedom of Religion: YES ! ! !

Freedom of Hygiene: NO ! ! !

bah.gif

It is your right to answer any questions only in front of a judge and there it is your right to have a lawyer present and there is nothing the police can do to get around it. If you do so it is your own decision, but you do not have to.

And if you are questioned in Thailand by an US Justice Department official you should do the same like he did. As far as I know they have no legal rights here, they are foreigners here like you and me.

But the wait to see a judge can be a bitch. I've heard on your first anniversary they give you a cupcake with a candle.

The police in Ger can detain you for 24h, after that appearing before a judge is mandatory or they have to let you go

That's nice, if you happen to be in Ger. Remember to tell them that if you are stopped in Santiago, Mogadishu or Tashkent (no implication intended re any city).

My reference was that another poster wrote that there is no Miranda in Ger and not about being arrested in Mogadischu, Tashkent or wherever

"Nah......someone who dresses and looks like a terrorist ..."

So using that foolproof approach Timothy McVeigh would have no problem boarding, but the Archbishop of Canterbury would be shackled??:

post-145917-0-89273000-1372656524_thumb.

post-145917-0-54859100-1372656618_thumb.

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if you have ever seen an active terrorist dressed like this.

I take your point (I made it myself earlier) but I think it's I portent that we all remember that terrorism doesn't only take place in non-Islamic countries - quite the contrary in fact. So certainly many terrorists have been dressed in traditional Islamic garb with beards etc.