Marriage Visa Once Divorced

Unfortunately, the wife wants to divorce me this week, and will not give me any time to sort my situation out

I am on a 60 day extension, on my marriage visa

i have about 7 weeks left until the extension expires

if we divorce this week, can you tell me what is the correct procedure regarding my marriage visa? i believe that it becomes invalid and i have 24 hours to leave the country, is that correct? what are my options as i have a house here, and all my life, so i need to sort things out? i am early 40's by the way, and from UK

if i simply stayed in thailand till my visa expired, even though i was divorced, what is the likelihood that i would get rolled when i left thailand in 7 weeks?

please dont slate me, or thai women, i just need some visa advice wai.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You extension become invalid upon divorce so yes you will have to leave or risk overstay fine/arrest. Although it might not be found - it also might so I would immediately travel to Vientiane for a 2 entry tourist visa to give you time to make further plans.

Although unless your wife I taking you to court, you will both need to go to the Amphur to actually sign the divorce papers...

So if you need a bit of time to sort out your visa, you could try to drag your feet a bit on going with her to sign the divorce papers

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

i have tried dragging my feet and she is making threats to kill me, to me, and via sms to members of my family

it has all got very messy, so divorce this week seems like the right option i am afraid

What did the 60 day extend?

the 60 day is an extension upon my marriage visa. My marriage visa finished last month, so we went to immigration, paid 1900B and got a 60 day "extension to visit wife" or something like that. I am not 100% on the terminology, as it is the first one i have received

Thanks for the concern Lopburi3 - i think it is just talk and anger, and she is only 5 feet tall, and all her family are in issan, so i think i am ok, but thanks wai.gif

yea, i think i will go to laos as you recommend

my plans mean that i need 90 more days in thailand before i go to back to UK for my planned trip (and a massive rethink re my future!)

considering i need 90 days, and i am in prachuap, do you think Laos is the most cost effective and time effective option still?

1 tourist visa will take you to 90 dyas.

All neighbouring countries will take 2 days to issue, (apply morning day 1 get back afternoon day 2), with the exeption of Cambodia. There it will take 4 days to get your visa.

So Laos or Malaysia will do.

1 tourist visa will take you to 90 dyas.

All neighbouring countries will take 2 days to issue, (apply morning day 1 get back afternoon day 2), with the exeption of Cambodia. There it will take 4 days to get your visa.

So Laos or Malaysia will do.

thanks mario - i might go to malaysia instead. do i have to go all the way to KL, or is Penang ok?

Also understand that inly a visa extension is rendered invalid at the time of divorce NOT a visa....

So if you living and planning on stating in Thailand after your divorce..

Why not fly out and get a 1 yr Multiple entry or at least a 3 month single entry before signing the divorce paperwork?

That would give you some time to get your self in order and decide about your future and if you will be staying in Thailand or going else where

• Like 2

Although unless your wife I taking you to court, you will both need to go to the Amphur to actually sign the divorce papers...

So if you need a bit of time to sort out your visa, you could try to drag your feet a bit on going with her to sign the divorce papers

i have tried dragging my feet and she is making threats to kill me, to me, and via sms to members of my family

it has all got very messy, so divorce this week seems like the right option i am afraid

It only costs 50 THB to register the Divorce at Amphur, if your soon to be ex-wife is in such a raging hurry, then I certainly would be disinclined to pay any more than that which you may have already lost.

• Like 1

Today I Mon , so if you can get the copy of her ID and letter (I think this is what is needed?)... Along with your bank book (if wanting 1 yr multiple entry)

You can fly tomorrow, apply for O visa on Wed pick up and fly (or bus) back Thu night and sign the divorce papers on Fri...

Just tell her you agree to go and sign the papers on Fri if she can give you the copy of paperwork needed to get your visa sorted to give you time to "wrap up" your life in Thailand

Today I Mon , so if you can get the copy of her ID and letter (I think this is what is needed?)... Along with your bank book (if wanting 1 yr multiple entry)

You can fly tomorrow, apply for O visa on Wed pick up and fly (or bus) back Thu night and sign the divorce papers on Fri...

Just tell her you agree to go and sign the papers on Fri if she can give you the copy of paperwork needed to get your visa sorted to give you time to "wrap up" your life in Thailand

sorry CW - i am not sure i follow.......

what visa can i apply for? i thought one year visa's available were - marriage (soon to be annulled), education (expensive), business and working

what is the visa you talk about, and can you explain again that it is suitable for me and would not be invalidated upon divorce? also, the funds in my bank are down to 200,000, so if i need more than that i am stumped.

He is writing about a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. A visa would not go away because of divorce. Only a extension of stay would end because of divorce.

In Savannkhet Laos you do not need to show any financial proof to get the visa.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2

He is writing about a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. A visa would not go away because of divorce. Only a extension of stay would end because of divorce.

Why would it end before the date of the extension? Is that stated in the official regulations anywhere or is this just an assumption?

If you get an extension you sign a document that tells you that if the reason for your extension goes away your extension also goes away.

Marriage and extensions based upon working are equal in this respect. If your job goes away your extension of stay ends.

In Savannkhet Laos you do not need to show any financial proof to get the visa.

This is good information Joe.

So you are saying i could travel 2moro, with no need to prove finances, just take a few documents, and get a one year marriage visa, I could then return, divorce on friday, and my visa would still be perfectly vaild for 12 more months??

Would my wife have to accompany me on this long journey??

is this sort of visa from Savannkhet outlined in the sticky thread in the top of this section? i will check now.......

Joe and helpful people of TV, you are a great help wai.gif

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif Crucial question.

Do you have a VISA which you previously got outside of Thailand in a Thai consulate or embassy?

Or do you really have an extension of your visa obtained in Thailand based upon your marriage to a Thai?

This is an important point, because if it is a real visa obtained in a Thai consulate or embassy outside of Thailand AND it is still valid (not past expiration date), the visa does not expire until it's expiration date.

If that is the case you're here legally until the visa's expiration date.

If it is an extension of your original visa based on marriage to a Thai, then that extension ends with your divorce, and also your stay in Thailand based on that extension will end with your divorce.

The visa you have in your passport has an expiration date.

If that date is already past, you need to leave to get another visa of some kind before you current visa expires.

If your original visa that got you into the country is not yet expired you can stay until that expiration date.

Once your visa is expired, and if you are then divorced, from the date that divorce is effective, you are then overstay.

You need to decide what to do based on that visa's expiration date and your actual visa status.

Personally, I would (if I thought it was safe) immediately exit Thailand and get a new visa of some kind

Then once you re-enter Thailand with a new visa, you can legally stay here on that new visa.

The divorce however, is a different matter .... and I would advise getting legal advisc there, especially if there is shared property involved.

There is such a thing as an uncontested joint divorce agreement possible if BOTH parties agree to settle any joint property questions and sign to that agreement.

But you will probably need legal advice on that (especially the "house").

rolleyes.gif

A marriage visa does not exist.

You would be getting a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage valid for one year. You will need to do border runs every 90 days and by making an entry just before it expires would give you almost 15 months.

As I said a visa remains valid not matter what happens to the reason for getting it.

You do not need the wife to go with you.

I agree with UbonJoe.

I was in Vientienne last Nov applying for a 60 day tourist visa (dont ask why) and seeing the years of Non Immigrant visas in my passport the kind lady asked me if I was married. I said yes. She said I had to apply for a Non-Immigrant O visa and under no circumstances would she issue me a tourist visa cause I was not a tourist.

So I got the Mrs to collect docs, scan them, and send them to me in Laos. I printed them and applied for said visa and was given it. Once back in BKK, went to Immigration and got the extension.

I'm a bit confused here.

By marriage visa do you mean a Non Imm type O?

And on what grounds is she applying for a divorce? You can't just say I want a divorce this week without a legal reason, even if you are Thai.

Edited by bigbamboo

This is really easy See an attorney and tell him she is threatening you If it is by SMS then go to the police and fine charges against her . This will no doubt help to drag the situation on for a few months

Dont be shy with your wife GO To the Police . They will help and even if they do not she will at least be on notice that they know you have been threatened and this will cool her down

That I am sure of

Anyway usually when someone threatens something it is only a threat for intimidation nothing more

• Like 1