Marriage Visa Once Divorced

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell her to go screw herself, do the divorce WHEN YOU ARE READY coffee1.gif

i cant be chewed with the hassle mate, plus she has agreed i give her less if i divorce quickly, plus i want to divorce too now as she went mental yesterday and i sometimes worry what she is capable of doing when her anger clouds her decent side

i am tempted to risk it, but that extension of visa due to marriage that i am on will still expire in 7 weeks and i need about 12, so i will have to visa run it one way or the other in the next couple of months, so maybe do it now to penang, get a single entry, return for 60 days then extend for 30. this will give me the time i need until my next uk visit, plus it will give the ex mrs some time to get her stuff together and move on, without me being here to upset her in any way

I'm a bit confused here.

By marriage visa do you mean a Non Imm type O?

And on what grounds is she applying for a divorce? You can't just say I want a divorce this week without a legal reason, even if you are Thai.

bigbamboo - sorry, yea, i am on Non Imm Type O, and married to a thai

she is applying on the grounds of she is sick of me. will she have to come up with better than that in the amphur? i think she will struggle and may look a bit of an arse. maybe i can show the officer at the amphur the text she sent threatening to kill me if i didnt divorce her and that will be enough whistling.gif

simple : DONT AGREE TO DIVORCE

she might come and begg you in the future if she has a new farang boyfriend in sights ...

half our company is in her name, and our accountant is drawing up a plan where i buy her out, at a value of about 25% of what her share is actually worth. so i am thinking best i get out whilst the going is good

If both agreeing to divorce and both sign off at the Amphur... Then no real reason is needed

It is only if one party does not agree to the divorce and the other party file or divorce through the courts that reason needs to comply with the Reasons stated in the Thai Law

I can't remember them all... But believe the reasons allowed in order to sue through the courts for divorce are abandonment dr over 3 yrs, spouse is in prison or declared crazy or that husbands has treated another women as his wife (more than just adultery)

Sure some others can confirm if I missed any...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

she might come and begg you in the future if she has a new farang boyfriend in sights ...

half our company is in her name, and our accountant is drawing up a plan where i buy her out, at a value of about 25% of what her share is actually worth. so i am thinking best i get out whilst the going is good

you forget that you can only own 49% of your own company ?

so the 25% you are willing to give her gives you what ? 12,5 % for real ?

found already another few thais you can trust for the rest of your 51% of your "own" company to give away to ?

thanks Lopburi3 smile.png

i imagine the chance of it being found out is quite small isnt it?

when i check out of thailand in 7 weeks, does the computer flash up that i am divorced? i suppose no one really knows eh? sad.png

Unless she phones immigration and tells them.

I think the chance of you getting reported are high.

you forget that you can only own 49% of your own company ?

so the 25% you are willing to give her gives you what ? 12,5 % for real ?

found already another few thais you can trust for the rest of your 51% of your "own" company to give away to ?

no, i am giving her the cash, and she will state in contract that the proceedsof the sale in the future will go 100% to the company director, which is me.

i know some people say this will not work, but my farang accountant and lawyer are working it out for me, so fingers crossed and chok dee i hope

Just do not go and sign the divorce papers. My ex would not sign them, she waited 6 months before she caved. I did not care, but she could not remarry until the divorce papers were signed. If you have to leave, leave, there is no law stating you have to sign divorce papers.

This is really easy See an attorney and tell him she is threatening you If it is by SMS then go to the police and fine charges against her . This will no doubt help to drag the situation on for a few months

Dont be shy with your wife GO To the Police . They will help and even if they do not she will at least be on notice that they know you have been threatened and this will cool her down

That I am sure of

Anyway usually when someone threatens something it is only a threat for intimidation nothing more

The police downloaded 50 of my ex es sms messges to me threatening me with death unless I paid $$$$, downloaded them to a police telephone, asked me if I wanted to press charges.....She caved 6 months later and begged me to sign divorce papers.

Edited by lopburi3
fix quote

Thanks to ubonjoe,

could I extend this thread

to probe your knowledge a bit more. I had plenty of bucks when the lady got pregnant but due to outside needs only ever stayed 3 months. Now I'd like to get a non O and had discounted it since I no longer have plenty of bucks.

We are not married but have a house together, which I paid for but didn't worry about papers and a five year old, Thai / Aussie daughter.

Your Savannkhet Laos, info regarding the financial proof is very interesting, particularly as it is a 3 hour drive.

Do you know if one can get a non O visa if you're not officially married, but have kids?

When we got the daughter her papers, everyone considered us married and didn't need to see marriage papers. As in de facto.

Thanks to ubonjoe,

could I extend this thread

to probe your knowledge a bit more. I had plenty of bucks when the lady got pregnant but due to outside needs only ever stayed 3 months. Now I'd like to get a non O and had discounted it since I no longer have plenty of bucks.

We are not married but have a house together, which I paid for but didn't worry about papers and a five year old, Thai / Aussie daughter.

Your Savannkhet Laos, info regarding the financial proof is very interesting, particularly as it is a 3 hour drive.

Do you know if one can get a non O visa if you're not officially married, but have kids?

When we got the daughter her papers, everyone considered us married and didn't need to see marriage papers. As in de facto.

Unlikely nowadays, but not sure.

Consulates are now required to check that you are the legal father of the child and not only named on the birth certificate. You might be lucky with birth certificate and note from the mother confirming your status and that you take care of the child. But suspect will be single non-O in that case only, if at all.

Once the reason for an extension ends that extension ends. It is the rule and people have often been required to sign there understanding of that rule during applications.

I don't doubt you. I'd just like to see the actual wording or the regulation. I can't remember seeing anything like that even for working extensions of stay either.

Once the reason for an extension ends that extension ends. It is the rule and people have often been required to sign there understanding of that rule during applications.

I don't doubt you. I'd just like to see the actual wording or the regulation. I can't remember seeing anything like that even for working extensions of stay either.

So if my wife died and I am on an extension, then I would have to leave the country immediately? That seems a bit harsh.

So if my wife died and I am on an extension, then I would have to leave the country immediately? That seems a bit harsh.

'tis a cruel country notts' man

On a related note does any one know if you can still qualify for a Non O type visa if you are divorced but have two minor Thai/Farang children who you support? Any info would be appreciated.

Yes you can get a visa or extension of stay. But you would need proof of custody either full or joint.

At many offices you sign a declaration acknowleding that, see form:

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/form_acknow_con2stay.doc

Also, from the immigration webpage:

Attention

If the alien granting extension of stay permit in The Kingdom for the reason of working at a business company/organization etc., resigns from such company / organization, his/her stay permit will be immediately terminated. As a consequence, The stay permit of his/her dependents will be terminated as well. Work Permit and Stay Permit must be revoked by competent officials.

At many offices you sign a declaration acknowleding that, see form:

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/form_acknow_con2stay.doc

Also, from the immigration webpage:

Attention

If the alien granting extension of stay permit in The Kingdom for the reason of working at a business company/organization etc., resigns from such company / organization, his/her stay permit will be immediately terminated. As a consequence, The stay permit of his/her dependents will be terminated as well. Work Permit and Stay Permit must be revoked by competent officials.

That is based on working. Not marriage. For immigration purposes they are completely different

But the same rules apply for any extension of stay.

It does not matter whether it is for education, teaching, volunteer, missionary, marriage or even a 6 year old getting an extension of stay for going to school.

Edit: Mario2008's link to form does not work but this one does: http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/form_acknow_con2stay.pdf

Edited by ubonjoe

You could ask for aletter from her inviting you,omitting it is for a divorce.Local Lao hitmen here charge a hefty 160000kip up front and same after plus expense so you'll be pleased to know Im worth about 1$ a kilo

If it was just your trying to delay that caused the threats probably just empty but do not underestimate the chance of a contract hit if someone really gets upset.

I was going to say that.

What I would do, is accept that the house is gone ( which is why I always say NEVER buy a house, car or anything expensive unless so rich that one can just write it off, and you have, IMO, zero chance of getting anything back on it ), collect up all my documents and loose money, then disappear off to Pattaya ( or somewhere else if you are actually in Pattaya ). Then I'd have the rest of the time on my visa as a holiday before going back home.

I wouldn't contact her, and I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of getting a divorce.

Alternatively, if worried that she might track me down, I'd get all my money out of the bank and head to Malaysia. You can get 90 days at the border there.

And still be married: barred from marrying again and responsible for debts and what is gained during the marriage must be split upon divorce. So if he builds up a new live and finally wants a divorce, the misses might now not want a divorce and he will have to split his newly acquired wealth with his ex-wife when they finally do.

Doesn't sound attractive to me.

• Like 1

But the same rules apply for any extension of stay.

It does not matter whether it is for education, teaching, volunteer, missionary, marriage or even a 6 year old getting an extension of stay for going to school.

Edit: Mario2008's link to form does not work but this one does: http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/form_acknow_con2stay.pdf

Ok thanks, interesting I've never seen that document before or been asked to sign one ever.

BTW, the English is actually different from the Thai,

In English it says :

"...my failure to do so (inform them of changes) will be considered sufficient cause for my permit to stay to be immediately terminated,...." - implying the stay is terminated only if you don't disclose the change.

However, in the Thai it actually reads like....."for any change in visa reason your permit to stay will be terminated immediately..."

Again the Thai immigration giving out completely misleading advice in English, and any foreigners relying on a Thai to give them correct advice about Thai regulations need to be especially cautious.

Edited by Time Traveller

And still be married: barred from marrying again and responsible for debts and what is gained during the marriage must be split upon divorce. So if he builds up a new live and finally wants a divorce, the misses might now not want a divorce and he will have to split his newly acquired wealth with his ex-wife when they finally do.

Oh, for the OP that would be true, as still young. Sorry, that hadn't occured to me.

As for myself, I'm not going to be around that much longer for it to matter, and I'm definitely never going to get married again anyway.

If it was just your trying to delay that caused the threats probably just empty but do not underestimate the chance of a contract hit if someone really gets upset.

I was going to say that.

What I would do, is accept that the house is gone ( which is why I always say NEVER buy a house, car or anything expensive unless so rich that one can just write it off, and you have, IMO, zero chance of getting anything back on it ), collect up all my documents and loose money, then disappear off to Pattaya ( or somewhere else if you are actually in Pattaya ). Then I'd have the rest of the time on my visa as a holiday before going back home.

I wouldn't contact her, and I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of getting a divorce.

Alternatively, if worried that she might track me down, I'd get all my money out of the bank and head to Malaysia. You can get 90 days at the border there.

Why not buy a car ? Both of mine are in my name, one of them bought on HP. What's the problem ?

Oh, for the OP that would be true, as still young. Sorry, that hadn't occured to me.

As for myself, I'm not going to be around that much longer for it to matter, and I'm definitely never going to get married again anyway.

Never say never.

Many people in old folks home get married. Better to share their last days than sitting in a room alone.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys, much appreciated

can i just clear one thing up. everyone has said that my 60 day extension to stay is cancelled as soon as i am divorced

but i read above, that a O visa based on marriage will not be cancelled. so if i go to laos this week, and get a 12 month visa, then get divorced, will i be able to remain another 12 months legally on this multiple entry O visa?

sounds ideal for me, but laos is so far from prachuap, that i just want to be 100% sure before embarking on what will be a 18 hr journey one way

one other issue, my passport only has two full pages and about 3 half pages left. would this amount of space be enough to get me to laos, and then get my non O visa, get me back into thailand, and then out to the uk in 3 months........... and then be easily transferred to my new passport that i will buy in the UK in early october?

i live near those lovely people in the Hull thai consulate