Your first watering hole in phuket , and is still here !

N47HAN

Either the Islander bar in Rawai or the Cheers bar in Rawai. I can't remember which was first but I used to frequent both quite regularly but I believe both are long gone now.

Actually Islander Bar in Rawai now under new management will re-open soon Paul & Leslie had to go back to UK because of health reasons. For years the best Sunday Lunch in the area always a great welcome and will be sorely missed. Actually have the pool table in my house now so not all left the island.

Either the Islander bar in Rawai or the Cheers bar in Rawai. I can't remember which was first but I used to frequent both quite regularly but I believe both are long gone now.

Actually Islander Bar in Rawai now under new management will re-open soon Paul & Leslie had to go back to UK because of health reasons. For years the best Sunday Lunch in the area always a great welcome and will be sorely missed. Actually have the pool table in my house now so not all left the island.

Good to hear it's still going. There used to be 3 partners/owners at one time I think. An elderly Brummie called Dave that headed up to Udon I think, an Aussie called Neil and another British guy but I can't remember his name. This would be going back 12 years or so. It was always a nice place to hang out.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

Cheers long gone? I remember seeing the farang owner last low season handing out fliers around Nai Harn. Its funny the guy never wanted to talk to me when I was a customer there, but was very chatty with me when he had a flier in his hand and I was trying to eat my breakfast. I sensed desperation then and Im not surprised its closed now

Cheers long gone? I remember seeing the farang owner last low season handing out fliers around Nai Harn. Its funny the guy never wanted to talk to me when I was a customer there, but was very chatty with me when he had a flier in his hand and I was trying to eat my breakfast. I sensed desperation then and Im not surprised its closed now

I was told by a friend it had closed but as the same friend told me that the Islander had closed, it could still be there for all I know. I haven't been down to Rawai for nearly 10 years. I'll have to make the effort one day to have a drive down one day and see how it has changed, though from what I have heard I would hardly recognise it.

Hard Rock on Soi Bangla, June 1989. Later moved to Soi Sea Dragon & finally forced to change the name after a lengthy court battle. Bangla was a 2 way dirt road & the Kangaroo Bar was the only bright light after 2am as it used to rock until sunrise.

are you sure it wasn't rock hard?

Rock Hard was/is on the corner. Hard Rock was a few doors back down Bangla. Ping mentioned it as being near Nordic Bungalows which is correct.

1987, Paradise Bar and one just next to it. I'm not sure of the name, but the owner's name was Dave. Neither one is still there. In 1988 I went to Dooley's Bar for Pizza, and of course a few years latter Rock Hard for other things.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Think it had the word Sala in it Sala Thai?
I don't know if I ever knew the name. I do remember there was a girl named Alice, who worked there. She then went on to open her own bar.(Alice Bar) and I believe she and her Thai boyfriend (a policeman) were charged with killing her English husband. Does anyone know if either ever served time? The Alice Bar was unique as all the available girls were only allowed on the other side of the bar.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There were photos of pool old Roger in a Thai mag all carved up with his own ornamental swords. I think she did some token time but paid her way out as far as I know.

Edited by Valentine

Had 3 favorites when I arrived in 82/83.....

On Bangala accross from what is now the Moon bar was Baby bar just normal bar beer place but first girl ever in Patong for me very nice named Phun I think.....

and then of course The Expat on Bangala under the big bhudda tree long gone now....

Best sunsets and drinking bar was The Paradise bar and bungalows(Holiday in area on beach now)

good food great place to live and relax ocean right accross the street 300 to 500 bht a night for nice bungalow.....

Best thing about the Patong bar scene back then it was alot more beachy feel to it, when I arive i go around to my local favorite bars and buy a bottle at each place

then the rest of my trip I not need carry cash as had a bottle with my name on it in the bars i went to most...very nice...

long gone those days.....

• Like 1

Hard Rock on Soi Bangla, June 1989. Later moved to Soi Sea Dragon & finally forced to change the name after a lengthy court battle. Bangla was a 2 way dirt road & the Kangaroo Bar was the only bright light after 2am as it used to rock until sunrise.

are you sure it wasn't rock hard?

Correct. had full showing up untill about 2003 I used to use it as a warm up etc.

What was the name of the go go bar on the second floor in the back in Soi Eric... I also used to go to Pia's, a few bars in on Soi Eric west side! which,i beleieve is still there

I think it was called Sunset Bar - facing the street between Safari Hotel and Bangla?

That was in 1999, so I'm not sure. The owner was an Aussie named Greg from memory.

I'd just spent my first 6 month stint on a boat in Myanmar and was on my first break, so I was not fussy as long as it had liquid refreshment.

Is it still there?

No.....it was the Hard Rock Cafe which was the last bar open in Bangla and was run by Mac, a good Thai bloke.

His bar is now in Soi Sea Dragon, but, can't remember the name.

He made T-shirts for sale identical to the real Hard Rock Cafe chain. He had to stop and change the name of the bar.

I do remember Hard Rock, Mac and his partner Dack. Was a regular there in the late nineties..... great place it was....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app