Russia's anti-gay laws have teeth -- gay priders assaulted

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Protests in Sochi have been almost non-existent.

Here's a brave Russian athlete, Alexey Sobolev, sporting a Pussy Riot themed snowboard.

Billy Jean King, part of the Obama snub of Putin, missed the opening for family reasons, but will attend the closing.

It will be interesting to see if there is any visible protest at the closing, considering the competition part will then be over.

post-37101-0-96490700-1392645329_thumb.j

Sochi is happening now.

What about AFTER Sochi? The message from Russian gays is clearer than ever -- don't stop paying attention to their oppression AFTER Sochi!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/olympics/outside-the-olympics-pressure-on-gay-russians-grows/2014/02/16/288a944c-90e7-11e3-b227-12a45d109e03_story.html

“No, nothing has changed because of the Olympics,” he said. “What will happen after the Olympics, we’ll see. People are very frightened. Many LGBT people think the situation will be worse after the Olympics. There is a panic in the community, especially among those who are partly or almost out, those who are active.”

Their fate, he said, now lies with the larger world.

“Don’t stop paying attention to us after the Olympics,” he said. “What happens depends on you.”

In case anyone doubts the American social value right wingers are involved with the oppression of gays in Russia and other parts of the world. They are losing in the USA (for the most part) but they are now aggressively EXPORTING their hateful agenda:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2014/02/21/noted-homophobes-launch-global-antigay-coalition

In case anyone doubts the American social value right wingers are involved with the oppression of gays in Russia and other parts of the world. They are losing in the USA (for the most part) but they are now aggressively EXPORTING their hateful agenda:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2014/02/21/noted-homophobes-launch-global-antigay-coalition

I don't have time to watch all your videos and follow all your links, but I did with this one. Yes, I know that US politicians meddle with lawmaking in developing countries to create laws and regulations that no developed country would accept any more.

OK, there are people against gay rights in the US. Nothing in this world is without competition and if you ask me, I am totally in favour of gay rights. But then, I am gay so I am biased.

I fight my fight with persuasion. It was hard since my comping out in my late teens, and I have won over all family members and friends. That is because of the respect I showed them.

The male activist in the video did not make any effort to persuade or convince. He showed up in a hooded sweatshirt for a press conference, for Pete's sake. He certainly wasn't representing me. And everybody talked at the same time - hell, I would have thrown him out of my press conference too. The white-haired lady was dressed appropriately (appearance does matter if you want to bring a point across), but she came up too late, I couldn't hear what she was trying to say.

It appeared to have been just an exercise in provocation rather than an attempt to change people's minds. I can't see how this helps the movement for acceptance of gay people in the world. What everybody learned was that gay activists have no manners.

I'm a little surprised that the National Press Club allowed itself to be host a hate group like that. I guess it's news though so they'll host anyone's press conference. I don't think that protester represents all gay activists. He's just himself. If you're suggesting heckling is ALWAYS wrong, I don't really agree, I'd look at it on a case by case basis.

I posted the item mostly to highlight the actions of that despicable right wing hate group and their involvement in helping countries GLOBALLY legislate against gay people, as in Russia, Africa, etc. Not so much to comment about the hecklers although it did make good video theater.

Also, I just got a chuckle thinking about a certain youthful "adventure" I had one late night in an office in that very building. wub.png

Edited by Jingthing

I'm a little surprised that the National Press Club allowed itself to be host a hate group like that. I guess it's news though so they'll host anyone's press conference. I don't think that protester represents all gay activists. He's just himself. If you're suggesting heckling is ALWAYS wrong, I don't really agree, I'd look at it on a case by case basis.

I posted the item mostly to highlight the actions of that despicable right wing hate group and their involvement in helping countries GLOBALLY legislate against gay people, as in Russia, Africa, etc. Not so much to comment about the hecklers although it did make good video theater.

Also, I just got a chuckle thinking about a certain youthful "adventure" I had one late night in an office in that very building. wub.png

With him? cheesy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just in time for Sochi, English Channel 4 releases a documentary about violence against gays in Putin's Russia.

Rather than post the video here, I suggest searching this at youtube.

Dispatches - Hunted (Documentary about homophobia in Russia)

The reason -- content too graphic for direct posting here.

More about the doc:

Investigative journalist, Liz Mackean, who made the film said: "We filmed these groups with their knowledge, and what I found shocking afterwards was that only a few asked to have their faces disguised.

"They all believe they are doing the right thing.

"Occupy Paedophilia has groups in more than 30 cities. They operate with impunity and under the cover of the remarks [Vladimir] Putin has made suggesting that children are at risk from homosexuals."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/02/violence-against-gays-in-russia_n_4712741.html

I downloaded that video awhile ago from a different source, forgot about it and just happen to watch it today.

Some of what takes place is truly horrific and quite literally nauseating. Although the brutality from the skinhead types (and the garish red-haired woman) as well as the pseudo-nationalistic-defender-of-morality moron and the bigoted priest can be found anywhere, the fact that the police, courts, government and much of the public essentially support and abet them is truly appalling (a woefully inadequate word under the circumstances).

Growing up in America in the 50's & 60's was decidedly unpleasant and, as Mathew Shephard & others who have been brutalized, murdered, bullied & driven to suicide have illustrated more recently, it's still hell for many people, but I can't imagine living in the sort of environment that's shown in this documentary. I also can't imagine being as brave as a few of the gay & straight people shown in the video are.

Truly horrific and far worse than the level of bigotry I guess I had imagined, especially if the sort of violence shown is that wide spread.

• 2 weeks later...

Moscow's largest gay club gets violently intimidated into closing, owner seeks asylum in USA:

Central Station was the target of at least three documented attacks in the past six months — one where armed men sprayed the club's unmarked door with bullets in November, another where malefactors released a harmful gas into the club just weeks later, and a third, allegedly organized by the building management, where a group of men dismantled the club's roof in December. In early January, the club's CEO resigned and formally requested asylum in the U.S.

http://www.advocate.com/world/2014/03/18/moscows-largest-gay-club-shuts-its-doors

As was totally predictable, things getting worse for GLBT people in Russia after the world's eyes went away after Putin's propaganda show in Sochi, which more and more really does directly relate to the Hitler Olympics in Berlin.

An interesting connection is made between Putin's vicious scapegoating of sexual minorities and his invasion and land grab in Crimea.

“All the LGBT activists are really concerned about the conflict in Crimea and we’re really standing up against war and military intervention in Ukraine,” Polyakova told the Washington Blade in response to a question about whether the ongoing conflict has worsened the Kremlin’s LGBT rights crackdown. “They cut us down when we try to raise our voices, but now we [have] temporarily stopped because we were charged.”

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2014/03/22/activist-russia-lgbt-rights-record-continues-deteriorate/

Edited by Jingthing

More weirdness from Putin's anti-gay Russia. Anti-gay violence continues to be on the increase ... even if you're not really gay.

Local authorities told Interfax via AFP, "On Sunday evening, members of Easy School held a St Patrick's Day flashmob in the mall. Some youths came up to them and expressed displeasure at the proceedings. A conflict took place that grew into a fight on the square outside the mall."

Meanwhile, a law enforcement source told the news organization that the Easy School members were mistaken "for representatives of non-traditional sexual orientation," according to the report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/24/russia-st-patricks-day-attack-_n_5022961.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Edited by Jingthing

More weirdness from Putin's anti-gay Russia. Anti-gay violence continues to be on the increase ... even if you're not really gay.

Local authorities told Interfax via AFP, "On Sunday evening, members of Easy School held a St Patrick's Day flashmob in the mall. Some youths came up to them and expressed displeasure at the proceedings. A conflict took place that grew into a fight on the square outside the mall."

Meanwhile, a law enforcement source told the news organization that the Easy School members were mistaken "for representatives of non-traditional sexual orientation," according to the report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/24/russia-st-patricks-day-attack-_n_5022961.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Well, I guess it was an honest mistake by those youths. No need to put them in jail; these things happen.

• 4 weeks later...

Documentary about Russian gay youth comes out:

“Imagine a child—I am speaking of myself now—a teenager at the age of 14, 15, who always comes to school late because he is bullied there, and before entering recites ‘Our Lord in heaven . . . ’ It’s true. This is not a joke. And it’s not funny.” The boy speaking is Pasha, a gay Russian teenager and one of the protagonists in Children 404, a new documentary about LGBT kids in Russia that is showing at this year’s Hot Docsfilm festival in Toronto. The film takes its name from an online mutual support groupfor gay Russian youth, which in turn is a play on the common Internet error message that appears on screen when a page cannot be found. It’s meant to suggest that in today’s Russia—especially since last year’s law banning “propaganda” supporting “non-traditional sexual relationships” among minors—gay youth are similarly banished. “The law states that it protects minor children under the age of 18, but of course no one has asked those under 18 for their opinion,” says Elena Klimova, the group’s founder.

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/movies/children-404-explores-plight-of-gay-kids-in-russia/

Edited by Scott
Font

My thoughts are with young gay people in Russia, although it doesn't sound like there is any age when it would be comfortable to be gay in Russia. Growing up in a conservative area, I can relate to some of the experiences, but at least I wasn't exposed to a gov't that backed the active mistreatment of gays.

No doubt that the anti-gay laws in Russia are bad, but we also have to see that it is a very big country. I failed to find in the article where in Russia this happened. I am sure that there are regions in the US where this could have taken place.

I also just googled for "gay bars in Moscow" and got many hits. Russia, while not an icon of gay acceptance, is not another Uganda.

It probably could have happened a lot of places, but the US doesn't rate very high in the places it would likely happen. The big haters of gays are here, and Russia is # 7 of the top 10.

http://listverse.com/2013/12/30/10-countries-that-completely-hate-gay-people/

... and Singapore is #8. Which means the list says nothing.

No, I am not defending the apparent gay pin-up guy from the 1980s, but I ask for a bit differentiation between major cities such as Moscow and St. Petersburg, and rural towns in the Far East. I do not believe that everything is the same everywhere in Russia.

Edit: I see JT just started a new thread about Larry King, making my point that such things not only happen in Russia.

Edited by onthemoon

It probably could have happened a lot of places, but the US doesn't rate very high in the places it would likely happen. The big haters of gays are here, and Russia is # 7 of the top 10.

No, I am not defending the apparent gay pin-up guy from the 1980s, but I ask for a bit differentiation between major cities such as Moscow and St. Petersburg, and rural towns in the Far East. I do not believe that everything is the same everywhere in Russia.

Edit: I see JT just started a new thread about Larry King, making my point that such things not only happen in Russia.

Perhaps post on the Larry King thread then. The U.S. isn't on the top anti-gay countries list. I don't think it belongs on the same list as RUSSIA and Iran.

Perhaps post on the Larry King thread then. The U.S. isn't on the top anti-gay countries list. I don't think it belongs on the same list as RUSSIA and Iran.

I'll post on the Larry King thread as soon as I have viewed the vid.

Does Singapore belong on the same list as Russia and Iran? It is there. I have never heard of anybody tortured or murdered in Singapore for being gay - but I have heard it about the US.

I am not against the US in any way, I am just against using two different measures depending on your bias.

The judgement about how anti-gay a country is can best be made by the laws, or lack of laws. From the link, this is what is says about Singapore:

".... two guys who get hitched face up to two years in prison. While the law is rarely enforced and there are signs that attitudes are softening, it remains a crime for broadcasters or media outlets to show LGBT people in anything but a negative light. TV stations have previously received hefty fines for simply interviewing a gay celebrity."

The same thing holds true for Russia. It isn't just about how you are treated, because there are homophobic people everywhere and there are violent people everywhere. Some of the newer member countries of the EU have had some less-than-warm welcomes for gays. The standard lies in what protections a gov't provides for it's citizens. In Singapore, if your gay, you will likely get little protection, even if the crime committed was non sexual. You certainly won't get the opportunity to tell your story to the press in an unbiased manner. I have only known of one person who was arrested for gay sex in Singapore, and that was quite a few years ago. He was sentenced to jail, but it wasn't a long sentence. He was disowned by his family, though.

In Russia, the mistreatment of gays is widespread. I my work with refugees some years back, if you were gay and you were from Russia, you could pretty easily establish a claim to refugee status.

The problem with many of these countries is that you don't actually have to be gay, or caught doing anything of a sexual nature. Simply being identified as acting gay will get you mistreatment and there is little recourse in the legal system.

The law is one thing. It may be bad in Malaysia or Singapore, but both countries have very interesting and open gay scenes. That is because it is not a big social issue as it is, for example, in parts of Russia or the US.

And when I mentioned in another thread last year that Taiwan is very homophobic because I personally know a couple of people who were disowned by their families, I was told that I am wrong and that Taiwan is gay-friendly, just look at the movies coming out of that country.

So, how do you measure whether a country is homophobic? I'd say the social acceptance is far more important than the law.