Road Accident

TheFishman1

yes indeed. i was recently in a very serious motorcycle accident. was one of the scariest moments of my life. lucky to be here to write this. it was the fault of the careless driver of the car. i suffered multiple severe injuries.

be careful everyone. very dangerous out there.

very sorry to hear about the OP's friend.

Over the last couple of weeks I heard 3 students from Varee and 3 from Lanna Polytechnic died in motorbike accidents. I drove past one dying young woman lying in the road near Big C, Hang Dong and another on Sunday morning who looked seriously smashed up on the road that cuts through JJ Market/Kamtieng Market. Both were being cared for by very distressed friends while waiting for an ambulance.

I remember a comment from Nick of Mad Dog many years ago after I told him I planned to buy a car and get rid of my motorbike. He told me very earnestly that I had just extended my life expectancy by 30 years.

I wonder if any were wearing helmets.

Over the last couple of weeks I heard 3 students from Varee and 3 from Lanna Polytechnic died in motorbike accidents. I drove past one dying young woman lying in the road near Big C, Hang Dong and another on Sunday morning who looked seriously smashed up on the road that cuts through JJ Market/Kamtieng Market. Both were being cared for by very distressed friends while waiting for an ambulance.

I remember a comment from Nick of Mad Dog many years ago after I told him I planned to buy a car and get rid of my motorbike. He told me very earnestly that I had just extended my life expectancy by 30 years.

I wonder too. I try to wear my helmet all the time. I really hope it makes a difference at the time of an accident. But you can do everything right and still die or get seriously injured on a motosai. You are at the absolute whim of the good and bad driving of those around you in traffic.

yes indeed. i was recently in a very serious motorcycle accident. was one of the scariest moments of my life. lucky to be here to write this. it was the fault of the careless driver of the car. i suffered multiple severe injuries.

I am so sorry to hear that. It seems you are on the mend. I hope you have family or friends to assist you. After a serious motosai accident many even Thai people no longer motosai. I understand. I slid on gravel where they are doing the construction on 1001 )near the second ring road) and laid down my motosai. Luckily I was going slow at the time and the car behind me stopped. I took a tumble and many Thai people helped me get up. My only injury was road rash. (Yes, I was wearing a helmet.) For a period of time it was hard "getting back on the horse" because my attitude had shifted. More anxiety and more caution while driving. Caution is a good thing but too much anxiety is not good. I need to buy a car. I know. I know.

Last night coming home at around 1:00 am and again on 1001 I was thinking about the friend of the OP as i saw cars and motosai drive full speed through red lights. Blessing and luck to us all.

Edited by AgentOkeyDokey

The police could make a fortune a day by fining the people who deserve it. Going from Doisaket to Chiangmai by mopet I survived around 4 murder attempts a day, especially in the ringroad area. So glad I don't live in that traffic hell anymore, look at the roads to Maerim and Hangdong, rediculous. Everytime I survived this roads I really had the feeling of being lucky, again. People who want a safe and healthy quality life move out of this city immediately.

OP May your friend rest in peace.

Nick was quite right. I wouldn't have a motorbike here even if it was free. I'd never had an accident before I came to Thailand but I've had a few accidents here, none of them my fault, or avoidable. One was a head- on crash that my wife and I survived relatively unscathed due to the car doing it's job and crumbling in (we both had seatbelts on). You're just too vulnerable on a motorbike and bad driving is too commonplace here, I'm sorry to say.

RIP Derek.

The three Varee students were all wearing helmets. I'm not sure if Loaded's info is more up to date than mine, but I heard that two died with the third receiving serious injuries including brain damage. From someone claiming to be a witness, they were traveling west trying to come off Mahidol road just before the flyover at Airport Plaza, when they collided with a car in front which had cut them up and slowed down. Two of them were thrown straight into the fast lane at the foot of the flyover where a female driver moving at high speed was unable to slow down in time. Initially she didn't stop but later made herself known to the authorities. The poor kids received fatal head injuries and the road was stained for days later, which I saw myself.

The helmets they were using provided no protection at all.

Absolute tragedy. RIP. By all accounts they were good students. The world is less without them.

My belief is , if you ride a motorcycle you must be thinking all the time about possible danger to your life, I have seen 3 motorcycle accidents in suthep rd area over the past 2 months (not serious), all involved Thai's and a car.

Yes when riding a bike or motorbike you need to have eyes in the back of your head. Danger can come in many forms as we all know. Side streets, animals, crazy speeding kids going home from school, buses, taxis..... the list goes on.

Helmets are better than nothing, but they do not protect you from the impact of another vehicle at speed. You really do have to have your wits about you and try and be prepared for the unexpected. Drive safe and drive defensively....

Stay alive

I like motorbikes alot but are aware of the risks we take when on these roads, luckily Ive never had an accident;

Running red lights is like Russian Roulette, its NOT worth the risk

RIP

These are good posts, and it all makes me wonder...I see dozens of older Thai ladies in the downtown area every day; they don't appear to be too concerned about vehicles around them. So are they also having serious accidents? I haven't been around here long enough to get data on that....

From CMKiwi: "Running red lights is like Russian Roulette, its NOT worth the risk"

It's like Russian Roulette, but the guy holding the gun is pointing it at you, not at himself, and you're not even aware he's got a gun!

There was an overturned car and damaged motorbike near the big karaoke place just before Kawilla army camp last night. Whether it involved deaths or severe injuries, I don't yet know, but it is a fine example of how common these events are, especially late at night. If the topic of bad driving or accidents ever arises in a bar most people can offer an example from personal experience and I guarantee that most stories will begin with "today" or " yesterday"' which shows how common they are.

#14 '...they were traveling west trying to come off Mahidol road just before the flyover at Airport Plaza, when they collided with a car in front which had cut them up and slowed down....'

That is a very very dangerous exit. I used it often over the past few years, and each time held back as drivers ostensibly heading up over the flyover ramp, at the last minute, swerved into the exit lane which is extremely narrow.

Its narrowness causes a long tailback which many drivers attempt to avoid by pulling the oh-so dangerous swerving tactic mentioned above.

My condolances to the poor students, their loved ones, friends and school. Possibly Varee School may wish the traffic department to note this exit and to come up with a remedy post haste.

Edited by jingjoke