• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect warm weather,

I know I ask for way to much but have not had an issue yet

What time of year is it only 'warm'?

All year. can be hot Feb - April. But I love the climate

This is July.

The last 8 weeks have only been 'warm' to you? :huh:

Have you ever been here or are just reading from a Lonely Planet guidebook?

I'm here now and no intentions to go back EVER!

But if you get the wish you expressed in post # 12...you cant stay here..you have to leave unless you have PR or a citizenship...I am confused..on one hand you stated you wished Thailand to be free of farang, but the next post you state the intention of never going back

I'm half Thai and dual citizenship. What I meant to say is, I didn't like the farang culture back in Europe. Moved to thailand and surprisingly the farangs in thailand are even worse.

Although I can cope with it, usually avoid the crazy, perverted, etc ones, still some nice guys and gals here from Europe.

But if you get the wish you expressed in post # 12...you cant stay here..you have to leave unless you have PR or a citizenship...I am confused..on one hand you stated you wished Thailand to be free of farang, but the next post you state the intention of never going back

I'm half Thai and dual citizenship. What I meant to say is, I didn't like the farang culture back in Europe. Moved to thailand and surprisingly the farangs in thailand are even worse.

Although I can cope with it, usually avoid the crazy, perverted, etc ones, still some nice guys and gals here from Europe.

What exactly is farang culture?

Everything that isn't Thai! You know, all the bad stuff...

There are more good guys around, then you might think, Hansje..

• Like 1

I expect warm weather,

This is July.

The last 8 weeks have only been 'warm' to you? :huh:

I expect warm weather,

This is July.

The last 8 weeks have only been 'warm' to you? huh.png

As I stated I love the climate. I like hot weather after living and working in Northern Canada for so long. Is it that hard for your little brain to grasp some people just like to live in a warm climate? I play golf all year round. I fish when I am not golfing I love to ride my bike in the middle of the day. Thinks I like that you would not find in your Lonely planet book. I have been here for 6 years very happily. Owned a bar and decided it was not for me. Done things to improve everyone around me it's who I am and what I do. I get respect for the things I have done and the great choices I have made to further my self and the people around me either Thai or not. So because you can't do this and see Thai's as bad my question is why do you still live here?

Everything that isn't Thai! You know, all the bad stuff...

Ahh, you must mean accountability, safety, a lack of corruption, an honest police force, actual punishment of rich people that break laws, welfare for the poor and elderly, restricting damage to the environment etc. Yeah, all the bad stuff. Boo to that.

Edited by Kananga

What do you expect from Thailand?

i expect the unexpected , i see so many things each day that make me laugh and that is turn makes me happy .

i expect a good life from Thailand as I give so much to Thailand to make it a better country . I expect the love I have for this country to

make the Thai people around me more happy .

Edited by metisdead
Font

This is July.

The last 8 weeks have only been 'warm' to you? huh.png

As I stated I love the climate. I like hot weather after living and working in Northern Canada for so long. Is it that hard for your little brain to grasp some people just like to live in a warm climate? I play golf all year round. I fish when I am not golfing I love to ride my bike in the middle of the day. Thinks I like that you would not find in your Lonely planet book. I have been here for 6 years very happily. Owned a bar and decided it was not for me. Done things to improve everyone around me it's who I am and what I do. I get respect for the things I have done and the great choices I have made to further my self and the people around me either Thai or not. So because you can't do this and see Thai's as bad my question is why do you still live here?

I hope you didn't expect Thailand to cure your anger issues. whistling.gif

(or reading about Thailand in guide books, to)

Edited by 1020
  • Like 1

Like MrToad, I expect nothing of Thailand. Most certainly I can see things that would improve the country and simplify life for everyone. But, there is nothing that any farang can do about it, so why bother? Very often the things that would make life better are also the very things that makes Thailand so fascinating. When you can rise to a challenge and overcome it then that alone gives a good portion of satisfaction. It is one of the very reasons why I prefer riding a motorbike in crazy Thai traffic than at home in the nanny state of Canada where everyone has to follow laws just for laws sake. Learning enough Thai to order a simple meal in a small Thai village where nobody speaks English was fun. So was getting fuel or a flat fixed when in Nakhon Nowhere when there was not a station in sight. Even paying a traffic fine for a questionable offence was an interesting adventure.

It all depends on how you view everyday life and what it has in store for you. I take everything as an adventure. If I ever get to a point where I get bored with Thailand then maybe I'll move on to somewhere else, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

What Do You Expect From Thailand ?

For those with power and money to get away with murder.

For there to be no such thing as justice.

For all locals to back each other up in the face of a foreigner, no matter how wrong the Thai's actions are.

For everything presented to be a facade.

For the daily news to be sickening as police officers, soldiers kill and bully people with immunity, police and teachers are caught buying their positions and cheating on their exams.

That Thais will only help people if it is to their advantage.

Once you're cool with these it's a great place. :)

• Like 1

It's all about attitude. Clearly you have a healthy one whereas many on here do not!

Good post.

I get fed up to death of

the thais hate us

when son take over he kick out farang(this one is brilliant)

Thai rip you off al lthe time

2 tier pricing system

Thaksin will come back then civil war.

Normaly the ones who continue to talk crap,are the ones who dont even smile too much.

I could go on for ever,but u get my drift.Its so boring to here this and i am glad i have a positive outlook on my 10 year life in Pattaya

im going to put it another way,

what i didnt expect,,

was to be married to a beautiful young lady,

have a beautiful daughter,

have a pig farm, also ducks chickens, and even a pond with blah nin,

thailand has been good to me,

i didnt expect anything,

but im more then pleased with what ive got,

be happy jake

Good post mate, u got off your ass and did something positive,instead of drinking your life away.

I expected Thais to be friendly (real and genuine friendliness) whatever the circumstance, toward their own and foreigners, stranger or not a stranger.

Now I still expect that, and am disappointed on a daily basis.

It's actually the same as, if not worse than, back home.

I don't much mind other stuff as mentioned by other posters (corruption, injustice etc..... well I mind but

I didn't have high expectations), because it was my expectation (above), mostly, that compelled me to come here.

Maybe I expect too much.

(Note that I am not talking about going out for drinks with my Thai buddies....I'm talking about everyday encounters and (brief) interactions:

ordering food, sharing an elevator, paying the bus boy, riding the MRT, buying a coffee, smiling to a security guard

or the person standing around outside doing nothing or an old lady outside on her chair in front of her shop,

or when actually replying the 'sawasdee ka' when entering a 7-11, and receiving a dismal look in reward, etc. etc.).

• Like 1

I could go on for ever,but u get my drift.Its so boring to here this and i am glad i have a positive outlook on my 10 year life in Pattaya

Wow, 10 years in Pattaya and still smiling. Amazing.

Perhaps there's something readily available there that you need. I for one could not do 10 days in Pattaya without losing all faith in humanity.

I'm talking about everyday encounters and (brief) interactions:

ordering food, sharing an elevator, paying the bus boy, riding the MRT, buying a coffee, smiling to a security guard

or the person standing around outside doing nothing or an old lady outside on her chair in front of her shop,

or when actually replying the 'sawasdee ka' when entering a 7-11, and receiving a dismal look in reward, etc. etc.).

Most do exude an inner anger and unhappiness, don't they.

Perhaps there's something readily available there that you need. I for one could not do 10 days in Pattaya without losing all faith in humanity.

I pity your weakness of faith. Maybe you should spend some time in a temple to strengthen your faith. If you'tre not willing to do that, then why should anyone else treat your faith any more seriously than you do?

I pity your weakness of faith. Maybe you should spend some time in a temple to strengthen your faith. If you'tre not willing to do that, then why should anyone else treat your faith any more seriously than you do?

I pity people that think faith is a positive attribute.

I think you mistake pity for jealousy. It's an easy mistake to make.
  • Like 1

I think you mistake pity for jealousy. It's an easy mistake to make.

No, its definitely pity. I can think of nothing worse than spending my life having 'faith' in something which there was no evidence of existing and refusing to consider the fact that maybe I was wrong because I had 'faith'. For example gods. People who say 'Oh I believe in Jesus'. I think he was conceived by Mary and a god and then died on a cross but came back to life. I know that there is absolutely no way to prove this and zombies go against all scientific reason, but I'm going to believe it anyway because I have 'faith', and the stronger my faith the more I am not going to question the possibility that its all a load of crap.

Faith (in this context) is completely irrational, hinders progress and I PITY anyone who thinks it is a positive virtue. Now you tell me why I would be jealous of people who spend their entire lives with their head in the sand believing in miracles and faires?

Good night.

Edited by Kananga

The familiar smell of mildew everywhere upon entering the concourse of a long flight due to 100% humidity,

Soaking thru my first shirt within 15 mins cueing for taxi,

Turning on the light and briefly waiting for the roaches and other to scurry so I can take a leak without stepping on them,

The inane, mind-numbing obligatory exchanges, what your name, where you stay, ….

The crush of unrelenting touts, hawkers and sweaty hand-shaking tailors,

Wondering if this ATM is going to be the one that eats my card or plain just rips me off,

If I’m going to be pulled into a melee with the drunk bald, tattooed hooligans reaching ignition point,

The constant din from competing beach bars all but ensuring any peace at the beach or sleep at night,

OK, I may be sugar-coating it a bit,

whistling.giftongue.png

• Like 2

Really did not have much expectations,came here with an open mind.Having lived in a few different countries also helps.

Being an optimist in Thailand is a bit optimistic ,being negative does not help much either.(many examples here everyday)

Being a realist works well for me.Looking back is a wast of time,i live today and now i am going to get some work done in the garden.

Have a good day,and having a good day is totally up to you.

• Like 1

Really did not have much expectations,came here with an open mind.Having lived in a few different countries also helps.

Being an optimist in Thailand is a bit optimistic ,being negative does not help much either.(many examples here everyday)

Being a realist works well for me.Looking back is a wast of time,i live today and now i am going to get some work done in the garden.

Have a good day,and having a good day is totally up to you.

One of my favorite posts in a while: in part because it reflects my attitudes pretty much exactly, but also because it is ultimately an intrinsically positive one while at the same time sensible and without being sappy.

Kudos.