Girlfriend threatening Suicide

realenglish1

@Lemoncake

You've misunderstood me I think. Your response to someone saying it is. Bad idea that should not be suggested was that 1) it's not dangerous and 2) it was the last on the list. I thought in light of the nature of the objection, it's place on the list is irrelevant.

Anyway, I'm not a doctor - perhaps you are - but I've read that according to some studies Prozac CAN cause thoughts of suicide or exacerbate them. It interests me that you are so certain it does not.

Edited by SteeleJoe

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with Thai is that some will actually follow through with it.

If you off, might be easier to walk away, though personally if i loved her i would help.

Here are some suggestions

1. Take her to temple, either daily or put her in for a month, it helps to relax and perhaps "see the light"

2. Speak with Monk and ask for help

3. There is/are help offices, i know there is one in Pattaya(not sure if its good for you, but no doubt have others)

4. Doctor would be a wise choice, though i do not have much faith in Thai professionals in this field

5. Last, start to put some prozac into her drinks or food.

The last statement is ridiculous and dangerous. The administration of new anti depressants to patients with depression can increase suicidal ideation, hence it is important that the person is assessed correctly before commencing any medication. Some people should be a lot more careful about what they post.

This should be a Doctor, and or support from a Monk.

Prozac is an anti depressant, it is not new nor an experimental drug.

Prozac does not increase suicidal ideation, and if you notice it was last on the list of my suggestions:rolleyes:

I am aware, as I am a professional in the field. Sorry to disappoint you.

In addition to the suicide hotline mentioned in my prior post, you might see if you can interest her in going here. Blends Buddhist teaching with counseling:

http://www.newlifethaifoundation.com/

I know people who have volunteered up there and the feedback is very positive.

New Life is a good option, and it is relatively inexpensive.

If you off, might be easier to walk away, though personally if i loved her i would help.

1. Take her to temple, either daily or put her in for a month, it helps to relax and perhaps "see the light"

3. There is/are help offices, i know there is one in Pattaya(not sure if its good for you, but no doubt have others)

4. Doctor would be a wise choice, though i do not have much faith in Thai professionals in this field

The last statement is ridiculous and dangerous. The administration of new anti depressants to patients with depression can increase suicidal ideation, hence it is important that the person is assessed correctly before commencing any medication. Some people should be a lot more careful about what they post.

Prozac does not increase suicidal ideation, and if you notice it was last on the list of my suggestions:rolleyes:

So why not offer any advice to OP? or did i miss it?

Disregarding totally anything I might think about monks ...MONKS cannot prescribe medication. Medication might save her life!

Monks, no matter how long they have been monks, have no training in medical issues, mental illness, etc. I don't care if they have been a monk for 6000 years, they have no modern medical training, nor any special training that would help. Unless of course, getting some new "lucky numbers" from the monk, and then actually winning the lottery, would help this woman over her depression.

How many of you, living in your Christian country, would suggest, with the same circumstances, that the person just go "to confession" or talk to the bishop or whatever, in this case? You don't even know if the lady in question is religious, or what religion she follows.

• Like 1

So why not offer any advice to OP? or did i miss it?

You missed it

Basically best keep it simple at this stage Doctor Assessment, Monk Support. There are some options, but also dependent on where the OP is.

Take her to the hospital for some professional to check her out. If she is depressed and suicidal they will put her on some anti-depressants and see how she goes with that. Also some temple time would be good, head shaved and dressed in white for a month.

To deny the potential advantage of 'pastoral care' is foolish in the extreme. Of course it may not work on this occasion but there is no doubt it often does...

In fact 'pastoral care'often succeeds where medical care does not.

I suggest you get over yourself Annelaine.

• Like 1

Dear Slip,

I think you mean me, even though you said another name. I suggest you get over YOURSELF. How do you know what religion this person follows if any? If she does follow some religion, then I guess she has had access to that, and is still in the place where she is. She might be, gasp, an atheist, what then?

Anyway, if the OP wrote that his g/f had AIDS or cancer, or was diabetic, would you suggest a monk to solve that? Real (i.e. clinical) depression is considered an illness that needs treatment, not a moral failure, or character defect.

You admit, it might not work, but if it doesn't work than what is the result? It might be suicide. Is that risk okay for you? If a doctor feels that is really a risk, they will admit the person, to a hospital, medicate them, and keep watch, so that the person is mostly unable to carry out that desire.

In my experience people threatening suicide very rarely go ahead with the act. It's the quiet ones you have to watch.

Let nature take its course a troubled mind sometimes cannot be fixed.

The temple idea will only be a temporary solution to the problem.

I'd like to help but it's difficult to know where to start, where are you located might help?

Many Thai females, especially poor undeducated rural girls use the threat of suicide as a lever, it's usually nothing more than a cry for help or a sign of real insecurity. It used to be very common to see young girls with shallow slash marks on the underside of their forearms, typically self inflicted following the break up with a boyfriend, is that the sort of suicide attempt you were refering to?

Action + reaction = desired effect

Worth knowing/understanding while still young, particularly if in the OP's shoes.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Prozac does not increase suicidal ideation, and if you notice it was last on the list of my suggestionsPosted Image

Actually Prozac is NOT an anti-depressant (like Valium, diazepam, or phenobarbital)

It's a psychotropic (SSRI) or serotonin re-uptake inhibitor.

Bad idea to mess with this stuff.

Google it. Google it's side-effects. Google school shootings.

Impossible to say whether she will or will not try and commit suicide but if someone was serious about it I don't think they would tell anyone.

If they wanted to die they would be better off just doing it when no one was around so there could be no way of being saved.

A good friend of mines took a valium overdose in my flat in an attempt to 'kill himself'. Scary but I don't think he really wanted to top himself just a cry for help.

Impossible to say whether she will or will not try and commit suicide but if someone was serious about it I don't think they would tell anyone.

If they wanted to die they would be better off just doing it when no one was around so there could be no way of being saved.

A good friend of mines took a valium overdose in my flat in an attempt to 'kill himself'. Scary but I don't think he really wanted to top himself just a cry for help.

Agreed.

Call her bluff. My gf pulls that shit with me sometimes, 4 years later shes still alive! wink.png

Only a very sheltered person or a fool wouldn't know that in most cases it is a "cry for help" or an attempt at manipulation. I think it would be even more foolish to assume that it could only be that.

Aside from countless recorded cases, I can personally guarantee that some people who talk of suicide do go through with it.

And we are not talking about 1 month monks, but the ones who devoted their entire life to temple

Like the ones flying around in private jets, wearing Raybans and carrying their iPhone 5's in their Louis Vuitton bags?

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Usually someone threatening suicide is putting out a cry for help. Listening does help, but you ultimately need professional care to properly evaluate the situation.

People who are serious about it just do it..............

I'd like to help but it's difficult to know where to start, where are you located might help?

Many Thai females, especially poor undeducated rural girls use the threat of suicide as a lever, it's usually nothing more than a cry for help or a sign of real insecurity. It used to be very common to see young girls with shallow slash marks on the underside of their forearms, typically self inflicted following the break up with a boyfriend, is that the sort of suicide attempt you were refering to?

This. A former GF used to ring me and threaten to top herself, leading me to respond to subsequent calls with 'Wait - you're still with us ?'. Their ability to completely wipe such episodes from their memory banks is nothing short of astonishing. No question that Thailand needs more money pumped into mental health, but when you still have a large percentage of the population who struggle to meet the basic necessities each month, I expect that will be a pipedream for a long, long time.

Prozac does not increase suicidal ideation, and if you notice it was last on the list of my suggestionsrolleyes.gif

Some of your points are decent enough but your last one stinks and seems it wasn't made in jest.. at least admit you were wrong. As toad says, ideation is a possibility on this stuff (everyone's brain is different), along with a huge number of other side effects that a person already going through hard times does not really want to potentially experience. And this when properly assessed/prescribed and tapered by a P.doc. Stop messing around!

This. A former GF used to ring me and threaten to top herself, leading me to respond to subsequent calls with 'Wait - you're still with us ?'. Their ability to completely wipe such episodes from their memory banks is nothing short of astonishing. No question that Thailand needs more money pumped into mental health, but when you still have a large percentage of the population who struggle to meet the basic necessities each month, I expect that will be a pipedream for a long, long time.

What evidence do you have that 'especially poor, under educated rural girls' are more prone to use the threat of potential suicide. I'd be very surprised if this sort of behaviour wasn't equally done by Thai women of all sorts of backgrounds. Sounds like Issan bashing again.

Usually someone threatening suicide is putting out a cry for help. Listening does help, but you ultimately need professional care to properly evaluate the situation.

People who are serious about it just do it..............

Usually saying they will is a cry for attention. People that commit suicide just go and do it.

I hate being repetitive but I simply can't stomach the way people keep repeating this same simplistic meme - especially if they do so as if it is absolute and universal fact. There are COUNTLESS cases - many of them prominent - of people voicing their desire to die and eventually killing themselves or coming close to it. More to the point, and the reason that a while no doubt people who say it mean no harm - casual and assured comments like the above almost literally sicken me...

I have had two people (in different periods) tell me and others, repeatedly, they wanted to kill themselves. Both of whom I cared about one of whom was very important to me:

I discovered one body and watched another die.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

What evidence do you have that 'especially poor, under educated rural girls' are more prone to use the threat of potential suicide. I'd be very surprised if this sort of behaviour wasn't equally done by Thai women of all sorts of backgrounds. Sounds like Issan bashing again.

Why did you quote my post and not Chiang Mai's, given that he made the original claim re poor, uneducated Thai women. Last time I checked, there were plenty of the latter to be found throughout the length and breadth of Thailand - definitely plenty in the small fishing village south of Chumphon that my former GF was raised in ...... nowhere near Isaan.

During a dispute my friend threatened to kill himself.

I gave the advise not to do it near the house and if the train was an option......the next one is about to pass within 10 minutes.

Hurry up!!

Dispute was over.........lights-on-but-nobody-at-home for a few days and life continued.

Of course this was an attempt to manipulate me, but that is one of the most difficult things........is it manipulation or is it serious.

If it's serious where to find proper assistance?