success pizza - near dukes riverside

willfreeman

We tried it last week. Just as I suspected, it is "Italian style" food aiming at the Thai market. I went with an open mind, but was disappointed and can't say I would go back. The pizza, as has been said before, has crust like a cracker. It is way too thin and crisp and falls apart when you pick up a slice. It also lacks any flavor. I don't think they use salt in the dough even. We ordered a salad. It came with Thai sweet mayonnaise sauce. I removed as much as I could and asked for olive oil or anything else but they didn't have it. My 4 year old ordered spaghetti carbonera and liked it. It looked to me like there was no sauce on it and it was dry. The g/f ordered an appetizer of chicken wrapped in bacon with white sauce. The chicken was a little cold in the center so it was frozen, the bacon was all fat. The sauce was flavorless.

I don't see the value others have mentioned either. The above mentioned items plus one beer and one water was 560 Baht. We could go to the Dukes and order one of their huge garlic chicken pizzas for 230? Baht that would feed 3, and a salad @ 100-200 Baht, plus another item and perhaps come in even a little less than the price at Success. Or you could go to one of the authentic, well-known Italian restaurants around town with the discount vouchers that you buy on-line and have a real Italian meal for less.

I don't understand all the fuss.

but Dukes breads and pizza always give me reflux.

I don't understand why this should be so but they give me reflux also.

• Like 1

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried it last week. Just as I suspected, it is "Italian style" food aiming at the Thai market. I went with an open mind, but was disappointed and can't say I would go back. The pizza, as has been said before, has crust like a cracker. It is way too thin and crisp and falls apart when you pick up a slice. It also lacks any flavor. I don't think they use salt in the dough even. We ordered a salad. It came with Thai sweet mayonnaise sauce. I removed as much as I could and asked for olive oil or anything else but they didn't have it. My 4 year old ordered spaghetti carbonera and liked it. It looked to me like there was no sauce on it and it was dry. The g/f ordered an appetizer of chicken wrapped in bacon with white sauce. The chicken was a little cold in the center so it was frozen, the bacon was all fat. The sauce was flavorless.

I don't see the value others have mentioned either. The above mentioned items plus one beer and one water was 560 Baht. We could go to the Dukes and order one of their huge garlic chicken pizzas for 230? Baht that would feed 3, and a salad @ 100-200 Baht, plus another item and perhaps come in even a little less than the price at Success. Or you could go to one of the authentic, well-known Italian restaurants around town with the discount vouchers that you buy on-line and have a real Italian meal for less.

I find your post kind of odd. My Schnitzel came with a garnish salad that had olive oil drizzled on it. No sweet mayonaisse in sight.

I guess the fuss is, for the price of a sandwich, burger, ribs...etc at Dukes, you can get 2 entrees at Success. Dukes has them on pizza though, but I do think that is the only thing that is a better value, but Dukes breads and pizza always give me reflux.

For now Success has been good to me and I will be going back.

reflux. manly kind of a disease. does Rambo get reflux? iron man gets reflux? duh

I find your post kind of odd. My Schnitzel came with a garnish salad that had olive oil drizzled on it. No sweet mayonaisse in sight.

I guess the fuss is, for the price of a sandwich, burger, ribs...etc at Dukes, you can get 2 entrees at Success. Dukes has them on pizza though, but I do think that is the only thing that is a better value, but Dukes breads and pizza always give me reflux.

For now Success has been good to me and I will be going back.

reflux. manly kind of a disease. does Rambo get reflux? iron man gets reflux? duh

Acid reflux is in no way correlated to general physical fitness.

Acid reflux is in no way correlated to general physical fitness.

"Lifestyle

Certain foods and lifestyle are considered to promote gastroesophageal reflux, however most dietary interventions have little supporting evidence. Weight loss and elevating the head of the bed are generally useful. Moderate exercise improves symptoms however in those with GERD vigorous exercise may worsen them. Stopping smoking and not drinking alcohol do not appear to result in significant improvement in symptoms. Avoidance of specific foods and eating before lying down should only be recommended to those in which they are associated with the symptoms. Foods that have been implicated include: coffee, alcohol, chocolate, fatty foods, acidic foods, and spicy foods."

Wiki seems to disagree about the physical fitness.

I suffered from this every week in the west, now in Thailand every six months.

Don't know what the cause is, but my eating habits here are vastly changed, no more beef, very little dairy, much less white bread, no potatoes.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Exersise does not really help although a modified diet does, reflux is a physical ailment rather than an alergic reaction:

"Acid reflux is a condition in which stomach acids rise up into the esophagus because the valve that separates the stomach contents from the esophagus is faulty".

The defect described above can be seen using a gastroscope.

Exersise does not really help although a modified diet does, reflux is a physical ailment rather than an alergic reaction:

"Acid reflux is a condition in which stomach acids rise up into the esophagus because the valve that separates the stomach contents from the esophagus is faulty".

The defect described above can be seen using a gastroscope.

Lifestyle affects health.

Worry, sexual tension, stress, unhappiness are physically damaging to the body.

I had reflux for many years, but it went away completely after switching to a diet with almost no refined foods about a year and a half ago. I'm not sure it is worth it for most people though.

That might be what stopped mine too. Western food seems poisonous in some ways.

I didn't consciously change my diet, mainly just started eating what was in the local market.

Glad to hear yours is better too UG.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

well tried 'success' and it was ok for what it is but Giorgio/Antonio (1st Division) Stephano's (2nd Division) all knock it for six in my opinion

no aircon - outside with all the mozzies etc. no coffee (not allowed to sell it), no after dinner whisky/irish coffee

nice staff trying their hardest and I'm sure it will be ok but it's 3rd Division compared to the other places I mentioned

food was nice, parking ok

Wow--190 replies--8 pages long...took me forever to get to the end to post with my slow *ss wifi..

It was a knock out today with the brit tv'ers going against the damn yanks!....do u really thing all we eat is

donuts and hamburgers?....as opposed to figgy pudding-spotted dick--yada yada?....

I wonder if we rented a conference room at the shangri-la and put everyone in there from this thread....computers and all..

than as a social experiment started yet another best burger thread...after 30 mins the computers get taken away....

I can only imagine the yelling/cross-talking and finger pointing...good grief....also wonder if the 'Success" people are

reading this...slackjawed and confused...saying to themselves...wow ting tong farangs..we just wanted to sell some food....

The digital age has brought out the best in all of us as ive just witnessed and continue to verify daily here--oh the humanity!

haha yes ive been to several places and they are the best ive found

Dukes is the best in CM, with Yummy Pizza a close second. But will try this new place, so thanks for the heads up.

Duke's is way too big, served too hot and is the wrong shape.

i most certainly hope it was better than what dukes called pizza in bkk

• Like 1

it is the best pizza in Chiang Mai for sure

I have read this 8 pages and tried pizza at all the recommended places during the past 2 weeks and there is no doubt that Success has the best pizza in Chiang Mai. The only place that might surpass it is Pun Pun but Gonzo has not yet offered us his private label pizza.

• Like 1

I went with my wife & it is a nice little place.

Plenty enough fans to feel comfortable

Very Clean & the waitress was nice.

Pizza & salad is what we had.

Pizza was their success pizza with dried tomatoes,olives & bacon

Like other said thin crust.Pizza was quite good.

Salad was called Ceasar but was like a garden salad with bacon bits & fresh croutons.

Dressing was like a Mustard dressing...again quite good.

Good prices too.

The salad which was enough for two & the 6 piece pizza with a Beer Lao

was 350 baht

Not the best I have had in Chiang Mai that spot for us is still Mama Mia's Pizza

But everyone has their preferences.

Lucky we have so many choices for when the urge to have pizza hits wink.png

BTW: They did have a lot of Italian dishes on the menu & we will try some next time

Edited by mania

I have read this 8 pages and tried pizza at all the recommended places during the past 2 weeks and there is no doubt that Success has the best pizza in Chiang Mai. The only place that might surpass it is Pun Pun but Gonzo has not yet offered us his private label pizza.

Well thanks for thinking of our pizza. We have a different slant on pizza pun pun style........All the toppings are available incl cheese and special sauce..... then its rolled up and sliced cross wise like a jelly roll...has a tooth pick through the center which you hold the tips in either hand , then put the leading edge in your tongue and unwind as much as you can stuff in....

Think about it

G

• Like 1

Well thanks for thinking of our pizza. We have a different slant on pizza pun pun style........All the toppings are available incl cheese and special sauce..... then its rolled up and sliced cross wise like a jelly roll...has a tooth pick through the center which you hold the tips in either hand , then put the leading edge in your tongue and unwind as much as you can stuff in....

Think about it

G

Gonzo,

You have done it again, another fantastic offering Pun Pun Style. Your description is so enticing that I can not imagine that people have really thought about it visualizing it and not responded.

Oh the Temptations "It is just my imagination running away with me"

Had an early dinner tonight at, as the menu says, Success Italian Food. First impression was loud rush hours traffic with not really a view of anything worthwhile and thought it would be much nicer with a barrier and perhaps an interior garden theme as it was an open air dining room.

First came the home made Egg Fettucini with Meat Sauce which was beef. (100 bht). Really tasty but a bit salty, which is fine for my liking, but a bit small of a portion. All components cooked properly and put together pleasantly. The accompanying toast was not worth eating and2 even my bread loving kids didn't. The Master Chef Judges (my two boys) also gave it the thumbs up.

Next up was a Magerita Pizza. The crust was way too thin that it was just crispy w/o adding a doughy taste or texture. Although the dough/sauce/cheese ratio was correct the lack of substance in the crust made it possible to only hold a small amount of cheese and sauce so overall it was not satisfying or satiating. The lack of seasoning didn't help but my son had me try his piece that he salted and it was better. Usually the salt in the dough, sauce and especially the cheese would be enough but there wasn't enough of any.

We finished with the "Chicken & Bacon Roll White Wine cream sauce" (120 bht). After ordering as it is stated on the menu the waitress (manager?) asked if we meant the chicken with cheese as she pointed to the Chicken Kiev on the menu. I said no and repeated my order and pointed to the picture of the item and she asked if I wanted the Chicken and Cream Sauce which I replied again as it is written on the menu. What we got was a processed meat, Thai style ham you'd call it I guess, rolled around white meat chicken with mushrooms inside. The chicken meat was absolutely dry and lacked any seasoning and the stuffing was just dry cooked unseasoned mushrooms stuffed in there and the whole thing covered in an adequate cream sauce. But it all was not even warm as though each item was cooked before and it was just thrown together and sauced. This might be why they didn't know what I was ordering as they didn't know the menu and just winged it. It came with a small salad with oil and salt, showing they know to season just don't know how to nor what an Italian style dressing is suppose to be.

The staff obviously made a effort to give us good service but when I asked for the check as they were all enthusiastically gathered around a laptop I was brought the check of the only other table there. When we left we were all hungry still.

As I can't compare to Dukes as many have here, but when we go to our regular pizza pad, Mama Mia Pizzeria, my boys can never finish a pie. In many ways it wasn't nearly as good and no one there is unprofessional enough to be neglecting their duties or not knowing their jobs.

We won't be going back not because it was so bad just that there are many other better places in town.

• Like 1

Had an early dinner tonight at, as the menu says, Success Italian Food. First impression was loud rush hours traffic with not really a view of anything worthwhile and thought it would be much nicer with a barrier and perhaps an interior garden theme as it was an open air dining room.

First came the home made Egg Fettucini with Meat Sauce which was beef. (100 bht). Really tasty but a bit salty, which is fine for my liking, but a bit small of a portion. All components cooked properly and put together pleasantly. The accompanying toast was not worth eating and2 even my bread loving kids didn't. The Master Chef Judges (my two boys) also gave it the thumbs up.

Next up was a Magerita Pizza. The crust was way too thin that it was just crispy w/o adding a doughy taste or texture. Although the dough/sauce/cheese ratio was correct the lack of substance in the crust made it possible to only hold a small amount of cheese and sauce so overall it was not satisfying or satiating. The lack of seasoning didn't help but my son had me try his piece that he salted and it was better. Usually the salt in the dough, sauce and especially the cheese would be enough but there wasn't enough of any.

We finished with the "Chicken & Bacon Roll White Wine cream sauce" (120 bht). After ordering as it is stated on the menu the waitress (manager?) asked if we meant the chicken with cheese as she pointed to the Chicken Kiev on the menu. I said no and repeated my order and pointed to the picture of the item and she asked if I wanted the Chicken and Cream Sauce which I replied again as it is written on the menu. What we got was a processed meat, Thai style ham you'd call it I guess, rolled around white meat chicken with mushrooms inside. The chicken meat was absolutely dry and lacked any seasoning and the stuffing was just dry cooked unseasoned mushrooms stuffed in there and the whole thing covered in an adequate cream sauce. But it all was not even warm as though each item was cooked before and it was just thrown together and sauced. This might be why they didn't know what I was ordering as they didn't know the menu and just winged it. It came with a small salad with oil and salt, showing they know to season just don't know how to nor what an Italian style dressing is suppose to be.

The staff obviously made a effort to give us good service but when I asked for the check as they were all enthusiastically gathered around a laptop I was brought the check of the only other table there. When we left we were all hungry still.

As I can't compare to Dukes as many have here, but when we go to our regular pizza pad, Mama Mia Pizzeria, my boys can never finish a pie. In many ways it wasn't nearly as good and no one there is unprofessional enough to be neglecting their duties or not knowing their jobs.

We won't be going back not because it was so bad just that there are many other better places in town.

Double space between the paragraphssmile.png

It would be interesting to hear your revue on the Dukes Pizza.

If you know any one in the VFW from the states they have a coupon for 350 baht that will purchase a large Pizza. Only on the Dukes on the river as the one in the Night Bazaar does not have a big enough oven.wai.gif

Edit

Does any one know what time they open?

Edited by hellodolly

Never tried Duke's pizza but almost by definition the best pizza has to come from an Italian restaurant.

So what you're saying is that only black people can play the blues, cooking is an art form and no one country owns an art form

Sorry for the late reply, but I disagree.

The best sushi I ever had was in Japan, the best Italian food (including pizza) in Italy, the best Thai food in Thailand etcetera. It is about the knowledge how to prepare the food and using the right ingredients.

There certainly will be exceptions but usually the best food from country X will be prepared by a chef from country X (in country X or at least using ingredients from country X).

Never tried Duke's pizza but almost by definition the best pizza has to come from an Italian restaurant.

So what you're saying is that only black people can play the blues, cooking is an art form and no one country owns an art form

The best sushi I ever had was in Japan, the best Italian food (including pizza) in Italy, the best Thai food in Thailand etcetera. It is about the knowledge how to prepare the food and using the right ingredients.

There certainly will be exceptions but usually the best food from country X will be prepared by a chef from country X (in country X or at least using ingredients from country X).

I disagree, that may have been true at one time but not any longer.

There is a multitude of dishes today that can no longer claim ownership or origin by any particular country, steak springs to mind as does the humble sandwhich and also pizza. Fact is that many dishes now are prepared uniquely and very different in various countries, pizza from Italy and pizza from the US are both very different but both are excellent in their own way, unless of course a person is a true purist and also happens to have been alive several hundreds of years ago and can recall what the original product looked and tasted like.

Success Italian Food's take out flyer states 10.00 am. - 10.30 pm.

Tel: 081 5683990

Thanks I finally am going to have a chance to try them.

I hope they do better for me than they did for you.

But at the price I doubt it. Value for money is OK but I would put satisfaction with the food first then worry about the cost.

Unless it is one where you know the food is 500 baht to begin with. The only time I would consider that price would be at a buffet.

Success Italian Food's take out flyer states 10.00 am. - 10.30 pm.

Tel: 081 5683990

Thanks I finally am going to have a chance to try them.

I hope they do better for me than they did for you.

But at the price I doubt it. Value for money is OK but I would put satisfaction with the food first then worry about the cost.

Unless it is one where you know the food is 500 baht to begin with. The only time I would consider that price would be at a buffet.

I think every restaurant has that one bad dish, and I think at Success it must be the bacon wrapped chicken.

I went there today and got the schnitzel again, now they offer mashed potatoes...but they were kinda runny.

For 120 baht for the schnitzel, id go here instead of Mcdonalds, friend got the chicken in wine sauce again.

Id recommend getting one of the meat dishes. They are substantial enough to make you full. The bacon wrapped chicken is more of an appetizer.

Im going to try that braised beef shank next :) love the prices here and the food is good enough.

photo0200.jpg

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

I disagree, that may have been true at one time but not any longer.

There is a multitude of dishes today that can no longer claim ownership or origin by any particular country, steak springs to mind as does the humble sandwhich and also pizza. Fact is that many dishes now are prepared uniquely and very different in various countries, pizza from Italy and pizza from the US are both very different but both are excellent in their own way, unless of course a person is a true purist and also happens to have been alive several hundreds of years ago and can recall what the original product looked and tasted like.

Well I am no expert on the subject by any means but didn't pizza originate in Greece.

Why do people go to France to learn to cook?

• Like 1