success pizza - near dukes riverside

willfreeman

Well I am no expert on the subject by any means but didn't pizza originate in Greece.

Yes, it's generally believed to be, and some of the earliest pizzerias in in the east coast of the US outside of NYC were established by Greek immigrants.

Edited by AngelsLariat

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what you're saying is that only black people can play the blues, cooking is an art form and no one country owns an art form

Sorry for the late reply, but I disagree.

The best sushi I ever had was in Japan, the best Italian food (including pizza) in Italy, the best Thai food in Thailand etcetera. It is about the knowledge how to prepare the food and using the right ingredients.

There certainly will be exceptions but usually the best food from country X will be prepared by a chef from country X (in country X or at least using ingredients from country X).

I disagree, that may have been true at one time but not any longer.

There is a multitude of dishes today that can no longer claim ownership or origin by any particular country, steak springs to mind as does the humble sandwhich and also pizza. Fact is that many dishes now are prepared uniquely and very different in various countries, pizza from Italy and pizza from the US are both very different but both are excellent in their own way, unless of course a person is a true purist and also happens to have been alive several hundreds of years ago and can recall what the original product looked and tasted like.

Well I am no expert on the subject by any means but didn't pizza originate in Greece.

Why do people go to France to learn to cook?

Greece or Italy, I don't know but the principle remains the same whichever it is.

Do people go to France to learn to cook, more so than they go to other countries, I'm unsure about that. I suspect that one of the reasons they may go to France is because it's the home orf the Corden Bleu school of cooking?

French Method Cooking is the basis for most of Western food preparation. The Culinary Institute of America, considered the best culinary school in the world by many incl. some of the most respected French Chefs such as Paul Bocuse (he's son was in my class there) and they teach French Method which is a style of cooking that can be applied even to some Thai food.

Perhaps in the past there were more cooking schools in France and more appreciation for food fine dining there but I bet there are more culinary students in the USA now.

I've personally had my favorite French meal in France, Thai in Thailand etc. for many reasons but that's no reason that most good food can't be prepared in most places esp. with the availability of many non-local products all over the world and overnight airfreight for those special orders.

But I've been discussing is just making decent dishes of a different culture by the locals. Not Haute Cuisine or anything that takes a culinary graduate to prepare but spaghetti and meatballs. Maybe the old adage "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" should be changed to "If you can't cook ....

French Method Cooking is the basis for most of Western food preparation. The Culinary Institute of America, considered the best culinary school in the world by many incl. some of the most respected French Chefs such as Paul Bocuse (he's son was in my class there) and they teach French Method which is a style of cooking that can be applied even to some Thai food.

Perhaps in the past there were more cooking schools in France and more appreciation for food fine dining there but I bet there are more culinary students in the USA now.

I've personally had my favorite French meal in France, Thai in Thailand etc. for many reasons but that's no reason that most good food can't be prepared in most places esp. with the availability of many non-local products all over the world and overnight airfreight for those special orders.

But I've been discussing is just making decent dishes of a different culture by the locals. Not Haute Cuisine or anything that takes a culinary graduate to prepare but spaghetti and meatballs. Maybe the old adage "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" should be changed to "If you can't cook ....

Yes I have a friend who was a great Chief he learned from several of the best in America at one point in his career he was the only executive chief in America under 30. I know it is a little off the topic but it is extremly interesting to talk about with some one who knows the business from one end to the other.

Actually my point was that perhaps to get the best Italian pizza you just might have to go to Italy But to get the best pizza you would have to go to Greece. Now apparently using that logic we have to go to Greece to get the best doughnuts & French Fries.

Actually I think the French Fries depend on the potato they use to fry. Apparently cooking them in the same oil as you have cooked some thing else in can affect them also. Great job on the paragraphs.wai.gif

• Like 1

Had an early dinner tonight at, as the menu says, Success Italian Food. First impression was loud rush hours traffic with not really a view of anything worthwhile and thought it would be much nicer with a barrier and perhaps an interior garden theme as it was an open air dining room.

First came the home made Egg Fettucini with Meat Sauce which was beef. (100 bht). Really tasty but a bit salty, which is fine for my liking, but a bit small of a portion. All components cooked properly and put together pleasantly. The accompanying toast was not worth eating and2 even my bread loving kids didn't. The Master Chef Judges (my two boys) also gave it the thumbs up.

Next up was a Magerita Pizza. The crust was way too thin that it was just crispy w/o adding a doughy taste or texture. Although the dough/sauce/cheese ratio was correct the lack of substance in the crust made it possible to only hold a small amount of cheese and sauce so overall it was not satisfying or satiating. The lack of seasoning didn't help but my son had me try his piece that he salted and it was better. Usually the salt in the dough, sauce and especially the cheese would be enough but there wasn't enough of any.

We finished with the "Chicken & Bacon Roll White Wine cream sauce" (120 bht). After ordering as it is stated on the menu the waitress (manager?) asked if we meant the chicken with cheese as she pointed to the Chicken Kiev on the menu. I said no and repeated my order and pointed to the picture of the item and she asked if I wanted the Chicken and Cream Sauce which I replied again as it is written on the menu. What we got was a processed meat, Thai style ham you'd call it I guess, rolled around white meat chicken with mushrooms inside. The chicken meat was absolutely dry and lacked any seasoning and the stuffing was just dry cooked unseasoned mushrooms stuffed in there and the whole thing covered in an adequate cream sauce. But it all was not even warm as though each item was cooked before and it was just thrown together and sauced. This might be why they didn't know what I was ordering as they didn't know the menu and just winged it. It came with a small salad with oil and salt, showing they know to season just don't know how to nor what an Italian style dressing is suppose to be.

The staff obviously made a effort to give us good service but when I asked for the check as they were all enthusiastically gathered around a laptop I was brought the check of the only other table there. When we left we were all hungry still.

As I can't compare to Dukes as many have here, but when we go to our regular pizza pad, Mama Mia Pizzeria, my boys can never finish a pie. In many ways it wasn't nearly as good and no one there is unprofessional enough to be neglecting their duties or not knowing their jobs.

We won't be going back not because it was so bad just that there are many other better places in town.

This is about right - it's ok but there are better places. The problem is this was 'over-sold' by some posters and therefore expectations rose and were disappointed. I would not put it in the top 10 of Italian places I'm sorry to say but it's not 'bad' just not 'good'

• Like 1

"Actually I think the French Fries depend on the potato they use to fry. Apparently cooking them in the same oil as you have cooked some thing else in can affect them also. Great job on the paragraphs.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif"

Not to go into a long off topic dissertation but the old culinary adage "Presentation is everything" is only revelant to first impressions (which also some say similar things about) and I prefer to thinks of it as "Everything is everything" meaning in this case the cleanliness, temperature, and kind of the oil, variety of potato, cooking time and proper amount of product compared to amount of oil for a quick enough recovery time (time it takes for the oil to come back to desired cooking temp) among other things and well actually everything else including if one deep fries french fries after using the oil for frying fish they might have a fishy flavor and this is why a restaurant should have separate deep fryers for certain items.

Glad your enjoying the paragraphs, hope the last run on sentence isn't too upsetting!

• Like 1

Never tried Duke's pizza but almost by definition the best pizza has to come from an Italian restaurant.

So what you're saying is that only black people can play the blues, cooking is an art form and no one country owns an art form

Sorry for the late reply, but I disagree.

The best sushi I ever had was in Japan, the best Italian food (including pizza) in Italy, the best Thai food in Thailand etcetera. It is about the knowledge how to prepare the food and using the right ingredients.

There certainly will be exceptions but usually the best food from country X will be prepared by a chef from country X (in country X or at least using ingredients from country X).

I disagree, that may have been true at one time but not any longer.

There is a multitude of dishes today that can no longer claim ownership or origin by any particular country, steak springs to mind as does the humble sandwhich and also pizza. Fact is that many dishes now are prepared uniquely and very different in various countries, pizza from Italy and pizza from the US are both very different but both are excellent in their own way, unless of course a person is a true purist and also happens to have been alive several hundreds of years ago and can recall what the original product looked and tasted like.

mistake

will check them out today

Edited by hellodolly

"Actually I think the French Fries depend on the potato they use to fry. Apparently cooking them in the same oil as you have cooked some thing else in can affect them also. Great job on the paragraphs.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif"

Not to go into a long off topic dissertation but the old culinary adage "Presentation is everything" is only revelant to first impressions (which also some say similar things about) and I prefer to thinks of it as "Everything is everything" meaning in this case the cleanliness, temperature, and kind of the oil, variety of potato, cooking time and proper amount of product compared to amount of oil for a quick enough recovery time (time it takes for the oil to come back to desired cooking temp) among other things and well actually everything else including if one deep fries french fries after using the oil for frying fish they might have a fishy flavor and this is why a restaurant should have separate deep fryers for certain items.

Glad your enjoying the paragraphs, hope the last run on sentence isn't too upsetting!

I think the best 'French' fries I have had were in Belgium - I suppose there they would be called 'Belgium' fries. They are considered part of their national cuisine.

You are right in that one potato does not fit all purposes. There are potatoes best suited for roasting and there are those that mash well. The roasting potato works well for fries and the trick is to soak the fries before cooking which will help give you a crisp fry.

just going back to the original subject pizza in C.M I am not a pizza maven and reading this topic it seems that Dukes is worth a visit so am going to try Dukes at the Promenada when it opens easy parking and have 2 kids.clap2.gif

When I was in Italy about 40+ years ago, I had pizza at several places. I don't remember whether it was in Rome or Florence but the pizza was served cold and was not that tasty. That was my limited experience with Italian pizza.

I grew up in NY and always enjoyed a fresh pizza slice right out of the oven especially Sicilian pizza.

This is about right - it's ok but there are better places. The problem is this was 'over-sold' by some posters and therefore expectations rose and were disappointed. I would not put it in the top 10 of Italian places I'm sorry to say but it's not 'bad' just not 'good'

Yup, it was way 'over-sold' by some posters. I didn't have high expectations but did go with an open mind. As has been said, just O.K but not worth going back. So many better choices for the same or even less money if that's what it's about.

just going back to the original subject pizza in C.M I am not a pizza maven and reading this topic it seems that Dukes is worth a visit so am going to try Dukes at the Promenada when it opens easy parking and have 2 kids.clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25>

Lets see..... you are going to try Dukes at the Promenada,, [great idea ] when it opens..... and when the easy parking is available.... and when you have 2 kids.....

Just a question..... how many kids do you have now, and if none, and the kids are not twins, you won't be going out to the new Dukes for a couple years...... Aaaawwwww comon, try one of the currently open Dukes in the meantime.....

wai2.gifwai2.gifbiggrin.png

Well A friend of mine and I went today. I will be going back. I had the chicken schnitzel and it was delicious.

We shared a pizza and a Caesar salad.

Not a big fan of the salad so I will say it was OK my friend likes them and gave it a thumbs down. The pizza was good but not outstanding. The crust was lacking some thing not sure what. Maybe a little thicker. For the money it was OK.

Also made the mistake of ordering the pizza special recommended by the server. It was a little on the chili side and I really don't care for that on my pizza. Asked for Parmesan cheese and they brought me a little dish of it.

My friend had something made with beef shank he said it had the bone in and the marrow is supposed to be left in it but it wasn't. He said it was OK but the sauce was more Spanish than Italian.

Over all the service was very good. Decent English spoken.

• Like 1

just going back to the original subject pizza in C.M I am not a pizza maven and reading this topic it seems that Dukes is worth a visit so am going to try Dukes at the Promenada when it opens easy parking and have 2 kids.clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25>

Lets see..... you are going to try Dukes at the Promenada,, [great idea ] when it opens..... and when the easy parking is available.... and when you have 2 kids.....

Just a question..... how many kids do you have now, and if none, and the kids are not twins, you won't be going out to the new Dukes for a couple years...... Aaaawwwww comon, try one of the currently open Dukes in the meantime.....

wai2.gifwai2.gifbiggrin.png

I do have 2 kids not twinscrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif so the wait won`t to long thumbsup.gif OH the parking is very easy now maybe difficult in 2 yearsw00t.gif

Edited by akampa

Yup, it was way 'over-sold' by some posters. I didn't have high expectations but did go with an open mind. As has been said, just O.K but not worth going back. So many better choices for the same or even less money if that's what it's about.

for less money please recommend a place.

I cant think of any.

Well A friend of mine and I went today. I will be going back. I had the chicken schnitzel and it was delicious.

Not a big fan of the salad so I will say it was OK my friend likes them and gave it a thumbs down. The pizza was good but not outstanding. The crust was lacking some thing not sure what. Maybe a little thicker. For the money it was OK.

Also made the mistake of ordering the pizza special recommended by the server. It was a little on the chili side and I really don't care for that on my pizza. Asked for Parmesan cheese and they brought me a little dish of it.

My friend had something made with beef shank he said it had the bone in and the marrow is supposed to be left in it but it wasn't. He said it was OK but the sauce was more Spanish than Italian.

Ive never had a real caesar salad anywhere in Chiang Mai, not even down the street from Success.

croutons and anchovies are crucial.

Apparently, there are a number of recipes for Caesar salad, but all I really want is the one that most restaurants use in the USA and it is hard to find here. I much prefer the American version of minestrone soup too, but none of the Italian restaurants here use it.

Ive never had a real caesar salad anywhere in Chiang Mai, not even down the street from Success.

croutons and anchovies are crucial.

anchovies are not "crucial" to a Caesar salad and being a veggie I should know :)

Ceasers Salad:

Use only kos lettuce, coat lettuce in egg white & lemon juice and cover with parmesan using a shake bag, chill, add croutons (freshly made), feed anchovies to the cat, serve ceasars salad and enjoy.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

Ceasers Salad:

Use only kos lettuce, coat lettuce in egg white & lemon juice and cover with parmesan using a shake bag, chill, add croutons (freshly made), feed anchovies to the cat, serve ceasars salad and enjoy.

you didn't mention how to get the fur off the cat, before adding it to the salad.....

oops I forgot, veggies don't eat ????

.....cat meat....

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Success Italian Food's take out flyer states 10.00 am. - 10.30 pm.

Tel: 081 5683990

Thanks I finally am going to have a chance to try them.

I hope they do better for me than they did for you.

But at the price I doubt it. Value for money is OK but I would put satisfaction with the food first then worry about the cost.

Unless it is one where you know the food is 500 baht to begin with. The only time I would consider that price would be at a buffet.

I think every restaurant has that one bad dish, and I think at Success it must be the bacon wrapped chicken.

I went there today and got the schnitzel again, now they offer mashed potatoes...but they were kinda runny.

For 120 baht for the schnitzel, id go here instead of Mcdonalds, friend got the chicken in wine sauce again.

Id recommend getting one of the meat dishes. They are substantial enough to make you full. The bacon wrapped chicken is more of an appetizer.

Im going to try that braised beef shank next smile.png love the prices here and the food is good enough.

photo0200.jpg

I had the Chicken schnitzel and it was really good. The one in your picture looks to me like it had been cooked a little long mine was a bit lighter in color and the chicken was very moist the sauce was superb.

that braised beef shank was what my friend had and he said it was OK but they took the marrow out of the bone and the sauce was more Spanish than Italian.

I realize this is just about a double post but I did not seee your mention of the braised beef shank. Also I had not really said any thing about the Chicken other than it was really good.