1 Year Visa

Ok I have read all the info on the thaivisa site but am unsure about a few things.

Is it still possible to get a 1 year visa after the original 90 days visa?

And is it still possible to get a permanent visa?

How does one go about of getting one of those?

Also, is the annual cost of all the visa hassle still around 3500 B as suggested on the site?

Thank you for reading this far. I'm sure these question are trivial, but I appreciate all answers.

Regards

Ken

Ok I have read all the info on the thaivisa site but am unsure about a few things.

Is it still possible to get a 1 year visa after the original 90 days visa?

And is it still possible to get a permanent visa?

How does one go about of getting one of those?

Also, is the annual cost of all the visa hassle still around 3500 B as suggested on the site?

Thank you for reading this far. I'm sure these question are trivial, but I appreciate all answers.

Regards

Ken

What is your nationality...what is your age ?

What is your nationality...what is your age ?

Danish, 29.

I'm about to make the jump to work and live in LOS and I am looking for somekind of permanent residency.

What I understand from the info I've read is that I start out by getting a 90 day visa and then I have to extent it to one year. I can then do this indefinately. It would however be nice to have a permanent residency and ultimately a thai citizenship, as I'm not planning on ever going back.

But there was talk some time back that the 3 times 1 year visa does no longer allow for a permanent residency. So my main worry is how then to get it.

The thought of going on endless visa runs, scares me.

Thanx

Ken

On the long term I will be a legal advisor.

On the short term I'm going to have to do with being an english teacher.

Does that concern the visa issue?

You need to produce a letter from a proposed employer to be granted a Non-Immigrant visa at all. To be able to extend your visa you'll need a work permit. Otherwise it will be a border hopping exercise.

Ahh I see.

So in the case where I have to take a TEFL course first, before getting a job, it would mean that I cannot enter LOS with the Non immigrant visa?

Or would the TEFL course be enough to get the Non immigrant?

I think its the second option, but correct me if I'm wrong.

And so I would get a 90 day Non Immigrant visa right?

Which could then be extended for 1 year, right?

If all the above falls into place, where does the Residency come into play?

Thanx again

Ken

Ahh I see.

So in the case where I have to take a TEFL course first, before getting a job, it would mean that I cannot enter LOS with the Non immigrant visa?

Or would the TEFL course be enough to get the Non immigrant?

I think its the second option, but correct me if I'm wrong.

And so I would get a 90 day Non Immigrant visa right?

Which could then be extended for 1 year, right?

If all the above falls into place, where does the Residency come into play?

Thanx again

Ken

You have no grounds to obtain an extension of a Non-Imm visa. You'd need to be employed and hold a work permit, or of retirement age ( 50 or older ) or married to a Thai citizen.

Taken from Text and Talk website:

If you are European, American, Canadian, Australian, South African or a New Zealander or Scandanavian, it may be possible for us to help you acquire an official one-year visa for Thailand – provided that you apply while you are still abroad. 

You will definitely need our help (and our paperwork) in order to obtain this, as it comes down to applying at exactly the right place — and this is as simple as contacting Mr Leigh Richards via e-mail ([email protected]) and requesting it — after your successful enrollment in our TEFL course.

This visa, when obtained,  is a multiple-entry Non-Immigrant B ("B" as in business), with each of the 4 entries good for a 3-month period. This means that, after each 3 months, you will need to "step across" a neighboring country's border (Cambodia is closest) and then get stamped back into Thailand. After completing your TEFL course and accepting a job with a school which will help you get a Teacher's License and Work Permit, you will no longer need your one-year visa, as you will automatically receive a one-year extension each year, for as long as you continue to teach for your sponsoring school in Thailand. Getting the visa before you come in, if possible, is still a good idea, however, as it gives you plenty of time to choose just the right school to work for, without having to worry about using up your visa first.

(my emphasis)

What is the initial one year visa they are talking about?

Is this info not correct?

Ken

Taken from Text and Talk website:
If you are European, American, Canadian, Australian, South African or a New Zealander or Scandanavian, it may be possible for us to help you acquire an official one-year visa for Thailand – provided that you apply while you are still abroad. 

You will definitely need our help (and our paperwork) in order to obtain this, as it comes down to applying at exactly the right place — and this is as simple as contacting Mr Leigh Richards via e-mail ([email protected]) and requesting it — after your successful enrollment in our TEFL course.

This visa, when obtained,  is a multiple-entry Non-Immigrant B ("B" as in business), with each of the 4 entries good for a 3-month period. This means that, after each 3 months, you will need to "step across" a neighboring country's border (Cambodia is closest) and then get stamped back into Thailand. After completing your TEFL course and accepting a job with a school which will help you get a Teacher's License and Work Permit, you will no longer need your one-year visa, as you will automatically receive a one-year extension each year, for as long as you continue to teach for your sponsoring school in Thailand. Getting the visa before you come in, if possible, is still a good idea, however, as it gives you plenty of time to choose just the right school to work for, without having to worry about using up your visa first.

(my emphasis)

What is the initial one year visa they are talking about?

Is this info not correct?

Ken

He talks about a Non-Immigrant B visa which you are ineligible for. He does say you must apply through him. Presumably he has a tame official somewhere. Try it...you never know. It is not extendable without a work permit.

I dont worry about the work permit, as I will get a job after the 6 weeks course.

But I guess this option requires visa runs, which will be costly.

As I see it, the only other option is to enter on a tourist visa. In which case I would have to do visa runs anyway, right?

I still need an answer to the permanent Residency. There was talk on this forum back in autumn that it is gonna be much harder to get a residency. Is that correct?

Thanx

Ken

dr Pat: Please assume he meant residence permit?

Age is still a key to any extended visa ( or marriage to a Thai ) It takes 3 X One Year extensions to be eligible to apply for residency.

Nothing has changed....you need 3 one year extensions of a non-immigrant visa to be eligible to apply for residency.

I dont worry about the work permit, as I will get a job after the 6 weeks course.

But I guess this option requires visa runs, which will be costly.

As I see it, the only other option is to enter on a tourist visa. In which case I would have to do visa runs anyway, right?

I still need an answer to the permanent Residency. There was talk on this forum back in autumn that it is gonna be much harder to get a residency. Is that correct?

Thanx

Ken

You won't get work with a tourist visa.

Just enter with a Tourist visa, and apply for and get the job! Your employer will provide you with documents so you can travel to a Thai Consulate or Embassy and obtain a NON-B. That NON-B can be used to apply for a work permit on your return to the Kingdom.

Step 1 get offered a job

Step 2 get the letters from your employer to support the non imm b visa application

Step 3 get the visa from a consulate in another country.

Step 4 return / come to thailand, work and apply for the work permit.

Legally you cannot work before you get the non imm b visa. Lots of people do but they need to make visa runs.

But the problem is that I need to go through the TEFL course first.

So I guess I have to

1. Enter on a tourist visa and complete the TEFL course.

2. Get a job.

3. Leave the kingdom and get a non-immigrant B

4. Get a work permit.

5. Extend the 90 day to a full year

6. Get a permanent residency after three years.

7. Become thai citizen after 10 years :-)

How does that sound?

Ken

But the problem is that I need to go through the TEFL course first.

So I guess I have to

1. Enter on a tourist visa and complete the TEFL course.

2. Get a job.

3. Leave the kingdom and get a non-immigrant B

4. Get a work permit.

5. Extend the 90 day to a full year

6. Get a permanent residency after three years.

7. Become thai citizen after 10 years :-)

How does that sound?

Ken

That'll do you....but 6 and 7 are subject to application and are far from automatic.