Nattawut speaks out on photo showing him in 'feudal' manner

webfact

Nattawut Speaks Out On Photo Showing Him In 'Feudal' Manner

nat.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Minister of Commerce and prominent Redshirt leader Nattawut Saikuea hits back at critics who accuse him of treating his subordinates like feudal slaves after a photo of 2 officials kneeling down next to him in a meeting room surfaced in social network.

The photo is said to originate from Mr. Sirichok "Wallpaper" Sopa, an MP of the opposition Democrat Party, who posted it on his Facebook account, with a caption that reads "Ammart?"

Ammart means feudalistic rulers, and is a phrase adopted by the Redshirts to attack whom they saw as the oppressive upper class elite. Another variation of the term is Ammartayatippatai or Ammartocracy.

Mr. Sirichok, nicknamed "Wallpaper" by the media for his regular appearance behind Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajeeva in numerous press conferences, seemed to suggest that Mr. Nattawut renegades on his Redshirts agenda.The photo was widely shared by anti-government critics.

Later, Mr. Nattawut wrote on his Facebook that the photo was taken yesterday at the Ministry of Commerce while he waited for the Minister of Commerce to attend a meeting. He said the 2 officials briefly went on their knees to tell him about the meeting procedure. Mr. Nattawut added that the encounter was longer than a minute.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01qYzJOVEUyTmc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-07-03

Is this not a common aspect of Thai culture with subordinates showing deference, sometime excessively, to senior people.

i have deliberately avoided using the word " superior ' because I detest it and how it's used in respect of people, I am superior to no one and no one is superior to me.

• Like 1

At least they are not under the table.

That was in the video which can be seen on YouTube later today . . . featuring a katoey, a rich monk, a scary ghost and a big fat funny gay guy . . . oh, and the jealous, psychotic mistress . . . think that covers it all . . .

• Like 2

That was in the video which can be seen on YouTube later today . . . featuring a katoey, a rich monk, a scary ghost and a big fat funny gay guy . . . oh, and the jealous, psychotic mistress . . . think that covers it all . . .

What about the corrupt politician, civil servant and BIB ?

You missed the dwarf

I wouldn't make too much out of a photo like this taken during a meeting. Just a couple weeks back, I was giving training and I had to go to the back of the room to have a quiet chat with an observing consultant, 20 years my junior, sitting behind a desk. I could have either got her to stand up, bent over her, or squatted next to her... I did the latter because it was easiest for me, put us at eye-level, and was the least disruptive to others in the room. I'm sure if someone had taken a photo of me at that point, they could have put the same sort of spin on it, but it would have been way off the mark.

So you are a "leg man"?

Is this not a common aspect of Thai culture with subordinates showing deference, sometime excessively, to senior people.

i have deliberately avoided using the word " superior ' because I detest it and how it's used in respect of people, I am superior to no one and no one is superior to me.

I beg to differ on this superiority thing.

I think I am superior to the Yorkshire ripper and Gareth Bale is superior to me as long as he keeps on knocking the goals in for 'the mighty Spurs'!!!

I wouldn't make too much out of a photo like this taken during a meeting. Just a couple weeks back, I was giving training and I had to go to the back of the room to have a quiet chat with an observing consultant, 20 years my junior, sitting behind a desk. I could have either got her to stand up, bent over her, or squatted next to her... I did the latter because it was easiest for me, put us at eye-level, and was the least disruptive to others in the room. I'm sure if someone had taken a photo of me at that point, they could have put the same sort of spin on it, but it would have been way off the mark.

Squatters' rights mate.

Don't try that after a som tum.