Less than 10% of test takers passed recent teachers' examination

Less than 10% of test takers passed recent teachers' examination

BANGKOK, 3 July 2013 (NNT) – The Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC) has revealed that less than 10 percent of test takers passed the 60% scoring mark required for admission to the post of assistant teachers, at the 1st round of the assistant teachers testing for year 2013.

According to OBEC secretary-general Chinnaphat Phumirat, only 1,536 people passed the teachers' exam although as many as 21,000 people took the test. He said that in Khonkaen province, nobody passed the testing meant to filter candidates for the 28 available positions in the province.

Mr. Chinnaphat indicates that the Office of the Teacher Civil Service and Educational Personnel Commission (OTEPC) will determine whether an extra round of testing would be required to find would-be assistant teachers to fill the available positions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-07-03 footer_n.gif

How on earth are they going to improve the educationsystem here, when prospective teachers are to stupid to pass a simple test?whistling.gif

Btw. The 10% mentioned in the OP would be flattering for some districts! In Korat less than 2 % passed, 47 out of 2749 passed! bah.gif

• Like 1

I would love to see a copy of this test and see if my 6 year old can pass. My god there must be some less than bright people running around.

I guess the test would be sooo difficult since it requires to answer specific questions like,..." what would you do if you have a relationship with a lover,...?"

I would love to see a copy of this test and see if my 6 year old can pass. My god there must be some less than bright people running around.

I guess the test would be sooo difficult since it requires to answer specific questions like,..." what would you do if you have a relationship with a lover,...?"

Someone out there must be able to find a copy of the test

Sounds to me a bit like the students O net test questions . eg You are out with a girl and start to have sexual feelings for her. What do you do a) Have sex . cool.png go home and tell your mother, c) go find some male friends and play football with them.

Farang teachers are also faced with questions and answer options that are just as stupid, in order to get their teacher licences.

Sounds to me a bit like the students O net test questions . eg You are out with a girl and start to have sexual feelings for her. What do you do a) Have sex . cool.png go home and tell your mother, c) go find some male friends and play football with them.

Farang teachers are also faced with questions and answer options that are just as stupid, in order to get their teacher licences.

I agree. let's not be too hasty in judging the quality of the applicants until we see the test. Otherwise we must also conclude there aren't too many bright farang teachers out there too. How many have passed all 4 tests out of the thousands that have so far passed the exam? Not too many.....

It is the same test for Thai and Farang teachers. Just one version in english and one Thai. 10% passing same for Thai takers.

Whereas farang teachers in Thailand are all top quality.......just sayin'.

Little in Thailand is of quality, farang and Thai.

Please don't judge the book by its cover. Many of us do a great job here. 9 years should mean something to somebody, roughly speaking.- wai.gif

Well here's another angle.

Six months ago my Thai niece, 20 years old (just graduated from the new 4 / 5 year education degree)

applied for teacher positions at many schools, some responses:

- 'Your overqualified'.

- 'You won't fit at this school because what you learned is different to the way we run this school'.

- 'No teaching positions available but we can offer you a teacher assistant position, 3,000Baht per month after all deductions,

and if you pass the teachers assistant exam'.

• Like 1

How on earth are they going to improve the educationsystem here, when prospective teachers are to stupid to pass a simple test?whistling.gif

Btw. The 10% mentioned in the OP would be flattering for some districts! In Korat less than 2 % passed, 47 out of 2749 passed! bah.gif

I studied in the field of education. However, neither at the university nor later on the job nobody could give me an answer to a vital question: how do you make a stupid person (student) to understand and accept that he/she is stupid? The smart guys in this country are in charge of the brainwashing to keep the majority stupid. It works for them.

One wonders about all the previous test takers who passed.blink.png

Thats the problem with corruption. The good gets lumped with the bad.

Its a long way to credibility, but a single step to lose it all.

Even a longer way back once your lost it.

And the kids are the ones to suffer.sad.png

This time was all new tests, so those who passed before took different tests. I saw the new tests personally and was disappointed. Asking questions that had no relation to the profession of teaching and no where in the world were taught by anyone.

• Like 1

This time was all new tests, so those who passed before took different tests. I saw the new tests personally and was disappointed. Asking questions that had no relation to the profession of teaching and no where in the world were taught by anyone.

Could you give some examples of the questions, since you've seen them. It would help us get a better perspective on the story.

Thanks, Gosompoi.