Less than 10% of test takers passed recent teachers' examination

Of the 10% who made the grade they are only 10% as good as their overseas equivalents.

I have hired people in my company who have held Thai Bachelors degrees but their education does not even come close to CSE's (The UK's Basic Secondary Education Certificate)

Teenagers leaving normal Thai education come out knowing almost NOTHING, I really don't know what they teach them but its shameful.

Thai educational standards are really, really bad. Its amazing the country is able to function at all. sad.png

Don't know about Bachelors but I do know Brits. who have left high school with a handful of CSEs (GCSEs) at passing grades (C or 3). I also know a number of Americans, Aussies and Kiwis who have left high school with the same relative educational standard (CSE C). I also know quite a number of Thai ex students with a degree, multiple degrees and a couple with masters (though they call it something else). I'll leave out any that have studied abroad including those who have studied in other SE Asian countries. Of what remains, a couple at best could come within shouting distance of a CSE pass or equivalent, the rest would fail.

As a quick observation. I think that this exam is different to the teacher licencing exam, but rather one of the teacher placement exams for Thai teachers looking for a government school. As:

nobody passed the testing meant to filter candidates for the 28 available positions in the province.

Indicates that the test was to filter prospective job candidates, rather than provide teaching licences (At least I'm hoping so lol, as I sat my teachers licence tests in Khon Kaen, and am expecting the results this month. I am very hopeful of passing at least 1 exam lol).

Although I would imagine that the exams were of a similar style to the krusapa teachers licence exams e.g. A lot of very subjective questions.

• Like 1

I remember a few years ago talking to a PHD from the University of Michigan who took the four tests for a teacher's license. He only passed one and he said the only reason he passed was because it was the last one and he finally figured out to pick the choice that was the longest most complicated and usually made no sense.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Of the 10% who made the grade they are only 10% as good as their overseas equivalents.

I have hired people in my company who have held Thai Bachelors degrees but their education does not even come close to CSE's (The UK's Basic Secondary Education Certificate)

Teenagers leaving normal Thai education come out knowing almost NOTHING, I really don't know what they teach them but its shameful.

Thai educational standards are really, really bad. Its amazing the country is able to function at all. sad.png

Had an American friend send his Thai son to a Trade school to learn to be a mechanic. Spent three years at this school, still doens't know how to change a spark plug. just saying..

How on earth are they going to improve the educationsystem here, when prospective teachers are to stupid to pass a simple test?:whistling:

Btw. The 10% mentioned in the OP would be flattering for some districts! In Korat less than 2 % passed, 47 out of 2749 passed! :bah:

How can you be sure that it is a simple test?

This probably explains why the students and teachers in my Ampher are only able to put together two English sentences:

"Good Morning Teacher. How are you today?"

Yep! ASEAN 2016 here we come! Chok dee kruu laa nak rian. You're gonna need it.

Thai exams are notoriously difficult. The exam given to foreign teachers for a Thai teachers license is a joke with less than a two percent pass rate.

It may have to do with the illiterate fools who think they understand how to develop an

objective-based exam. But they're only illiterate fools because culturally, it's almost impossible to develop critical thinking skills with an education in the Thai school system.

No wonder Chinese-Thai amart send their kids to the West to get a credible education.

Edited by connda

Whereas farang teachers in Thailand are all top quality.......just sayin'.

Little in Thailand is of quality, farang and Thai.

You deserve what you pay for in labor costs. Why is it different with education? Professioinal salaries available only when you leave teaching and start administrating. Want to attract the best and brightest? Start paying llike your future relies on it.

Unless I have misconstrued your comment, you seem to be saying that there are few quality teachers (either Thai or foreign) in Thailand. I guess you are able to make such a sweeping statement because....?

You've obviously got access to some remarkable statistics.

I remember a few years ago talking to a PHD from the University of Michigan who took the four tests for a teacher's license. He only passed one and he said the only reason he passed was because it was the last one and he finally figured out to pick the choice that was the longest most complicated and usually made no sense.

Evidently your PhD buddy was a slow learner if it took him 3 attempts to figure out what the examiners wanted. coffee1.gif

Evidently your PhD buddy was a slow learner if it took him 3 attempts to figure out what the examiners wanted. coffee1.gif

There are four different tests in one round, so I assume he took four different tests one time. Even if he did them multiple times, they do change the contents of the tests to a lesser or greater degree each round (and yes, they are difficult to pass- people passing the tests, from at least the last few rounds, had high scores of 70-80% at most).

Edited by jbauer

Example question on professional ethics (not totally accurate, but along the lines):

Who is the better teacher?

a) A teacher who is often late to class but regularly helps out at the local temple and has spent several years as a monk.

B) A teacher who is enthusiastic, loved by his students, gets excellent exam results but has frequently been seen drinking beer and smoking cigarettes.

c) An upstanding member of the community who dictates to his students all lesson every lesson.

d) A reliable, hard working teacher who comes to school on his days off but sometimes cannot maintain discipline in the classroom.

And there is one correct answer.

The second post in this thread said blame the test (to save face). Blame the test because it is utter horse shit.

Naboo - holder of a Thai teacher's licence from Kurusapa, no axe to grind.

• Like 1