Malaysian court hands down death sentence to 30-year-old Thai woman

webfact

Its a big shame for the children, but the law is the law. She broke it and knew exactly what she was doing, and its sad but just because she has kids will not alter there decision. It also seems a bit much for that !!

She may well have known what she was doing. However, (and I know nothing of her background - educational or otherwise) perhaps she was not aware of the severe form of retribution that would be inflicted on her following a conviction.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannabis is used as a medicine against cancer. The real cancer in Asia are the middle-aged laws. Perhaps the judges should try some smoke.

How many countries have legalized cannabis?

Why the question mark, what's the point in the question?

Sharia Law again. Will she be stoned first or her eyes gauged-out. Not condoning drugs but make the sentence proportionate.

Look who's on the Bench. I will never ever spend any of my hard-earned money in Malaysia.

What about her kids. Who will take care of them?

...did anyone ever take care of them...if her profession is any indication of her interests and priorities....

..or were they even 'part of her cover'.....

OMG... for 18 gram cannabis...that is incomprehensible...in Holland you can legally obtain it

OMG... for 18 gram cannabis...that is incomprehensible...in Holland you can legally obtain it

So go to Holland!

What about her kids. Who will take care of them?

...did anyone ever take care of them...if her profession is any indication of her interests and priorities....

..or were they even 'part of her cover'.....

1. We're all beating a dead horse here.

2. She is Thai and certainly needed to know the penalty.

3. I do think the law is unjust, but its thier law.

4. Yes. I do think cannibis should be legalized world wide.

5. Alcohol should be banned, then I can cross over to the otherside and make more money.

6. This woman no doubt is a mule and the traffickers just use these people, but she is just as guilty.

The short side of all of this is: Don't do it.

• Like 1

Sharia Law again. Will she be stoned first or her eyes gauged-out. Not condoning drugs but make the sentence proportionate.

Look who's on the Bench. I will never ever spend any of my hard-earned money in Malaysia.

What Sharia law? It wasn't a Sharia court, just a normal court, as they do have in Malaysia. Malaysia is a great country to live, very open and multicultural.

The laws are the standard laws for ANYONE, whether muslim or not. Nothing to do with anyone's religion. Anyone that doesn't know about what can happen if you carry drugs in a particular country you wish to traffic drugs into is just far too greedy and letting the money blind them.

She got caught, the law is well advertised. Sad for her kids but no one's fault but hers.

SE asia, you know the rules, they don't laugh with it as in EU countries

if you can't stand the death penalty, don't start to be a dealer in the first place

lots of honest jobs to do

even prostitution would only be selling her body for money, more honorable than selling illegal drugs for profit

And what precisely is morally wrong with selling cannabis, a drug which is proven to be less harmful than alcohol? Do tell us where your wisdom comes from.

What's wrong - it's against the law. How's that for wisdom. Break the law, get caught and convicted and you will be punished.

You may think this drug is less harmful than alcohol, as many of its illegal users claim. I have seen numerous reports that say the opposite and some to support it. But, whilst that's an interesting debate, it doesn't change the fact that cannabis is illegal in the majority of countries.

Do you think laws can be ignored based on every individuals' notion of what is morally acceptable or not?

The issue is not whether countries have the right to set their own laws (they do) or whether it's ok for a country to criminalise cannibis (that's up to the country). It's about whether the punishment fits the crime. Yes, she knowingly committed a crime and is therefore deserving of punishment. But does the evidence of harm you 'cite' justify the imposition of the death penalty? The degree of harm and the assuredness of the research would have to be pretty high to justify death ... is it?

• Like 2

if you can't stand the death penalty, don't start to be a dealer in the first place

even prostitution would only be selling her body for money, more honorable than selling illegal drugs for profit

And what precisely is morally wrong with selling cannabis, a drug which is proven to be less harmful than alcohol? Do tell us where your wisdom comes from.

What's wrong - it's against the law. How's that for wisdom. Break the law, get caught and convicted and you will be punished.

You may think this drug is less harmful than alcohol, as many of its illegal users claim. I have seen numerous reports that say the opposite and some to support it. But, whilst that's an interesting debate, it doesn't change the fact that cannabis is illegal in the majority of countries.

Do you think laws can be ignored based on every individuals' notion of what is morally acceptable or not?

The issue is not whether countries have the right to set their own laws (they do) or whether it's ok for a country to criminalise cannibis (that's up to the country). It's about whether the punishment fits the crime. Yes, she knowingly committed a crime and is therefore deserving of punishment. But does the evidence of harm you 'cite' justify the imposition of the death penalty? The degree of harm and the assuredness of the research would have to be pretty high to justify death ... is it?

Just as countries have the right to to set their own laws they have the right to set their own punishments. It's not as if the possession of drugs in Malaysia is a capital offence is a big secret.

That's 18 KG, not 18 grams.

Where did you read kilograms? All I saw several times was grams.

In the first post in the thread?

"A single mother from Thailand was sentenced to death by the High Court today for trafficking in 18,172gm of cannabis two years ago."

In the first post in the thread?

"A single mother from Thailand was sentenced to death by the High Court today for trafficking in 18,172gm of cannabis two years ago."

I've always been of the impression that kg. = kilogram and gm. = gram.

Since when has the abreviation for kilogram been changed to gm. ?

And BTW, I'm not argueing the point that it (18,172 grams) is equal to approximately 18 kilograms, only your perception of gm meaning kilogram.

Edited by Dap

drugs is drugs

if it is illegal and you know the punishment

"the lure of easy money", miami vice (from the '80 or '90ties)

selling her body = what do you think the 200.000 prostitutes do in pattaya, phuket, nana ?

they support themselves, their children, their parents and in many cases also the lazy life style of their deadbeat boyfriend / husband / "uncle"

It is not so much the taking of cannabis, it's what it leads to that is the problem.

It is not so much the taking of cannabis, it's what it leads to that is the problem.

The munchies?

• Like 1

it's not 18 grams she tried to smuggle but 18.

continental Europeans use a "dot" instead of a "comma" as dividers.

Ignorance is no defence.

As for the topic. Know the rules expect to pay the penalty.

Cannabis.....death penalty? It's a soft drug and doesn't make people insane like Yabaa. Or cocain. Very sad.

Yep, - one can go to down to the local bar and drink themselves silly with all forms of alcohol.... and that is OK.... Even in Malaysia.

Yet, the police are even selling Yabba here in Thailand and in Malaysia.

The whole system sucks! I do not indulge in any form of drugs, .. but it is so sad to see a Mother lose her life to insane court decisions.

Shame on the Judge.

To all you people talking about supporting a death sentence to a 30 year old Mother.... Shame on you all!

The top of Government Politicians around this globe are the biggest wheelers & dealers of drugs. Go do your research.

As far as the prostitution argument goes, ... this is a complete joke. In Thailand prostitution is illegal ... correct?

Thailand earns so much tourism revenue from that. It will never be enforced. But, - how many Thai girls would ever get the death penalty from this? No, - they just either pay the police force or have sex with them - then everything is OK.

Malaysia .. although a little stricter ... is not that much different.

Making an example of a little mother ... by death - is totally unreal. What is going on in this world?

• Like 1

Cannabis is used as a medicine against cancer. The real cancer in Asia are the middle-aged laws. Perhaps the judges should try some smoke.

Very few. How many countries give death sentence for cannabis? .... Fewer still.

I`m sure that 18 kgs of cannabis would NOT get you anything close to the DEATH sentance here in OZ.... Shame for the children sad.png

18kilos will get you a decent sentence in Aus, possibly 10 years. In the USa it would be 25+ It will get you death in a lot of other countries. Its a lot of pot!

A lot of people are missing the fact,that many Thai people, especially women from provinces, are oblivious to laws and customs of other lands, ignorance is no excuse of course,but thats why they are tricked into being mules or whores and so on, 18grams? i dare to speculate that some dick head talked her into it for very little money, or she was used as a diversion to sway away interest from a much bigger load!