Where to buy Atropine? Methomyl poisoning

Yesterday some fxxxxer laid out food soaked with Lannate (DuPont) to one of our dogs; the scene thereafter was horrific, and he died after 20 minutes. We tried inducing vomiting with vinegar, but he was already overcomed with the poison. After much research today into first-aid, antidotes etc. one of my questions are how do I get hold of Atropine? This is not an antidote but the effect is oposite that of methomyl, so it can relieve symptoms so that you buy time. That they are alowed to sell such strong, odourless poison that tastes and looks like tablesalt to whoever wants it is really surprising and shocking.

We have no proof of who did this, but I wish all evil and bad things to that person... R.I.P Po.

Read more about Methomyl here:

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/haloxyfop-methylparathion/methomyl-ext.html

Got hold of a 0,6 ml glass ampoule of Atropine Sulphate in 1 ml. solution from a local chief-doctor. It was given under strong doubt to me due to its toxicity. When he understood that it was for use on animal and from methomyl poisoning. Also bought hydrogen peroxide to induce quick vomiting, and sodium bicarbonate that act as a neutralizer because the poison breaks down in reaction in contact with alkaline solutions.

post-96121-13728672050674_thumb.jpg

So from what I have read, I would give a 5% sodium bicarbonate solution to the dog (in mouth with a syringe), then 1 spoon of hydrogen peroxide and wait 20 seconds until I administer 1 more spoon (which should work if the poison has not taken over). Lastly I would give 1/3 or 1/2 of the Atropine intermusculuar or intravenous if the symptoms are still strong.

Again, we are talking minutes here. So tomorrow I will make a nice kit ready to use IF this happens again and IF I am able to help.

What happened to your dog was tragic. I can't imagine how I'd feel if something like that happened to my dog.

Just a few thought to share:

(1) If you give the sodium bicarb first, then two spoonfuls of hydrogen peroxide, surely the dog will vomit all the bicarb before it's had a chance to work. To me it seems more logical to induce vomiting first, then to attempt to neutralise what poison remains.

(2) Calculate how much atropine to give in advance, based upon your dogs' body weights. 1/3 or 1/2 ampoule is too vague.

(3) Intramuscular and intravenous administration are going to require different doses, and are going to have different timescales/levels of effectiveness. That said, if you're stressed (as is likely, should this happen again) or inexperienced at injecting, IM is going to be much easier than IV. Do the necessary research on dosage now.

And let's just hope you never have to put your plan into action.

Incidentally, weren't there replies to your posting that stressed the need to keep your animals away from would-be poisoners? They appear to have disappeared; they offered good advice. Trying to save your dogs after they're poisoned is going to be 50/50 at best. Better to keep them away from poisoners in the first place.

after adminstering atropine u have to go for medical help anyhow; atropine causes other things to happen;

sorry about your dog; btw, the hydrogen peroxide usually loses its 'umph' after a time,so if u want to keep int in the emergency kit, you have to update , as well as with the baking soda. i think u can get epipens of atropine. funnily enough, we have one per person per household here in our emergency gas bomb kits that are issued to us (im in israel) and there are many stories of people using the pens by accident, including a friend of ours, a thai worker, who wanted to see what the thing was, and the pen went off (he found a kit in their living quarters, and though the kit was sealed, he opened it) ; causes a sort of dehydration among other things...

sorry about your pet... how did u know what the poison was?

The motive behind the poisoning is important too, be it revenge or planned burglary etc.

Times like this recorded CCTV (with clear imaging) is so so worth the cost.

yes you need to find out a motive,i watched channel 3news this morning where 4 dogs had been poisoned so that a bunch of evil barstewards could break into the houses to get the key's to the owners vehicles.i saw one of the dogs owners who wanted to give them a taste of what they gave the poor dogs.this gang have been doing this for quite a long time hope channel 3 follow this up.