Trying to get a non-B by mail from the Los Angeles consulate

Okay, so here's the situation. I live up in Sacramento, and the closes Thai consulate is in Los Angeles, which is a 7-hour drive, so I would rather apply for the non-B by mail. The consulate does provide this service, as long as you include a self-addressed stamped envelope with the application. The whole process takes about 2 weeks. I'm here for another 3, so I think I'll be okay.

My question is on the required documents. from their website, they list the requirements as follows:

For the purpose of employment (Type “B”) as a Teacher - single-entry only (For information on procedure for working in Thailand see "Standard Process for Foreigners Who Wish to Work in Thailand.")

- Along with the same documentation required for Tourist Visas (e.g. Actual passport, two passport-type photos, visa application, copy of 'picture page' of passport, copy of 'Green Card', bank statement, airline tickets, etc. - see "Tourist Visa Requirements") please include:
- Letter on school letterhead stating that the applicant has been hired for teaching.
- Copy of the school's registration in Thailand
- If teaching K-12 students, the school will require that you obtain a police clearance from your local police department. Please include a copy of the clearance letter (original you should present to the school in Thailand)
- Visa fee is $80 (single-entry only) payable by cashiers check or money order made payable to "Royal Thai Consulate General, Los Angeles"

Now I've applied for non-Bs before and have never had to show a bank statement or onward ticket. I've also never had to show a police clearance letter. I contacted my school and they said not to worry about the bank statement or the flight, as no teacher has had to show these documents.

But what about the police clearance letter? It will be at least another week before I get that back, since I applied for it yesterday. I do have a police clearance letter from China that I had to obtain before leaving - will that be good enough?

I, too, live in Sacto when I'm in the US. Since you're not driving anywhere, why the need to deal with the "closest" Thai consulate? You can find a list of all the Thai consulates in the US on the 'net. My one experience in person at the L.A. consulate was shocking, vile. but that was just one individual who may not be there still.

I called them up. The officer said that a bank statement and an onward ticket was not needed. For the police clearance, I do have one from China but it is almost 4 months old, and he said that the limit was 3 months, but to send it anyway and if they need another one (that is in process) that they'll contact me. I mailed it off yesterday. Hoping for the best.

Why would a Chinese police clearance letter work? Your applying from your home country the USA and assuming your a US citizen or PR?

What would China have to do with it? The letter is to find out if you have a criminal history in the country you apply from.

Why do you think that would be excepted?

China? blink.png