In danger of being a nation run by thieves: Thai editorial

webfact

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greatest thieves in Thailand rule RIGHT AT THE TOP AND THEY SPIT DOWN TO THE BOTTOM like the nation and the clueless foreigners are a scum to their standards, and they get their orders from the man in Dubai wai2.gifwai2.gif

After seeing these anti-corruption headlines for many years, I am beginning

to see the glimmer of a strategy here. For the powers that be, this strategy seems to be to steal as much money as possible, while at the same time have the media pump out these repetitive nonsensical headlines about how corruption is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Yet for some reason nothing is ever done......

My general sense is that corruption instead of being addressed, has actually increased to mind boggling levels. The rice scam, and the proposed 2 trillion baht infrastructure project with its implied 30 percent looting levels are just fresh examples of that....

Just saw this from the post above. "......51.2% said corruption by government officials was acceptable as long as it improved their living conditions." This points to a fundamental flaw in the thinking of the average Thai. Corruption harms the public, as the money that is supposed to be for the public benefit instead is siphoned off to a Swiss bank account or a house in London. What the Thai public gets seems to be an endless series of shoddy infrastructure projects. Guess the payments to the mia nois at least stay in Thailand... :-)

You have to judge this 51.2% in the context of the red shirt supporters who benefit from corruption. It is intuitive that those that benefit from corruption are not going to oppose it because they are already accessories to the crime of corruption.

It is not in danger of being runs by theives

It already is run by thieves whose sole interest i personal gain / profit of themselves, family and friends

I think they are trying to climb the list of most corrupt countries

There goal for 2013 is to crack the top 10

trying to climb? I think they've reached the top already!

It is not in danger of being runs by theives

It already is run by thieves whose sole interest i personal gain / profit of themselves, family and friends

I think they are trying to climb the list of most corrupt countries

There goal for 2013 is to crack the top 10

Plus the fact it has been known to have been run by thieves for decades.

Surely the people of Thailand are not dumb enough to fall for this nonsense forever. Surely!

Wish I lived in a country where I could point my finger and say. Surely the people of The USA are not dumb enough to fall for this nonsense forever. Surely! But I do and they are.... and they will.... so maybe my proposed move to LOS is to live where I can relax and enjoy being ignorant of the language and hypocrisy.

• Like 2

Corruption and graft is a huge problem and in Thailand Thais are witness to it from the day they enter their first school. Thai children school grades are not according to their abilities as no Thai child fails but his or her grades are influenced by the amount the parents paid extra to the school for higher marks.

Most foreigner teachers work without work permits but the schools and their agents still receive their near 60,000 baht for the foreigner teacher of which the foreigner teacher generally receives less than 30,000 with the balance going to the agents 20,000 and the school 10,000 or the school retains 100% of the amount not paid to the foreigner English teachers. We know this can only exist by paying graft to the school investigators.

Graft and corruption exists in most every government. U.S.A. president after president has proven how they fix elections, lie to their citizens and how they take care of their big business buddies and their war machine.

Thailand's graft and corruption is rampant, extremely visible and out of control at the schools, the post office, immigration and all levels of gov't!

• Like 2

The problem with Thais seems to be their inability to see beyond their immediate needs.

I read this in a comment by EyesWideOpen:

"......51.2% said corruption by government officials was acceptable as long as it improved their living conditions."

What they don't seem to understand is that in the long term, this kind of thing is actually detrimental to the growth of their nation. Like overpricing... If I get overpriced, I won't go back to that place ever again, so while they may have gotten more money out of me on that one occasion, they also lose a good customer.

Will they ever learn?

• Like 2

Join the club. Perhaps, after a long and costly series of exercises (maybe a few trips here and there in the region and the world), a few minor officials will be put on trial, and lots of reports will be written, but not much will change. In reality I do not believe that Thailand is any more or less corrupt than any other country. It is just in the west that the corruption is better hidden and overlooked. Good luck guys, and remember to duck just in case you do accidentally uncover real corruption of any truly important.

For Thailand to be more corrupt than other nations, would mean that the human's here are less likely to be opportunists. It is simply not the case and I agree with Ianatlarge.

Corruption in Australia is better hidden. For lower end officials, it has become more difficult, but at the top end it is business as usual for a country run by lawyers. Lets not define lawyers further.

Every now and then a tip of the iceberg gets exposed. There is a satisfactory hue and cry in the media and the iceberg floats on quietly. More quietly than before. People learn from example, how to communicate secretly more effectively. How "not" to reveal intentions in emails and sms and on pillow talk.

These anti corruption commissioners, should each be equipped with at least two forensic accountants that can trace the money trails effectively and they should then be bound by some sort of results clause, evaluated yearly.

"This month the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) is going to select members for all provinces except Bangkok, which has commissioners."

Wonder how much it will cost to encourage an NACC member to look the other way.

Join the club. Perhaps, after a long and costly series of exercises (maybe a few trips here and there in the region and the world), a few minor officials will be put on trial, and lots of reports will be written, but not much will change. In reality I do not believe that Thailand is any more or less corrupt than any other country. It is just in the west that the corruption is better hidden and overlooked. Good luck guys, and remember to duck just in case you do accidentally uncover real corruption of any truly important.

For Thailand to be more corrupt than other nations, would mean that the human's here are less likely to be opportunists. It is simply not the case and I agree with Ianatlarge.

Corruption in Australia is better hidden. For lower end officials, it has become more difficult, but at the top end it is business as usual for a country run by lawyers. Lets not define lawyers further.

Every now and then a tip of the iceberg gets exposed. There is a satisfactory hue and cry in the media and the iceberg floats on quietly. More quietly than before. People learn from example, how to communicate secretly more effectively. How "not" to reveal intentions in emails and sms and on pillow talk.

These anti corruption commissioners, should each be equipped with at least two forensic accountants that can trace the money trails effectively and they should then be bound by some sort of results clause, evaluated yearly.

Having worked in a lot of different countries, I can say Thailand is no different than most. Let's look at the UK where most of the MPs were scamming expenses. The Thai government does take care of their people all be it not like other western countries where they seem to take care of others before their own - Thai people has always had to take care of themselves and will always consider if I can take it and get away with it then I will.

• Like 1

Great, another pet project created to grease somebodies palms.

Just wonder how much grease it takes to be choose for one of the well "paid (as in opportunity to grease my palms)" anti-grease jobscheesy.gif