Thai Bank Account

would like to know if there is a bank that will allow opening of accounts without a work permit, i am here on a 60/90 day tourist visa, just dont want to keep getting hit with fees from my australian bank account when withdrawing money at the ATM's, i have searched the forum but there doesnt seem to be much current on this subject

would like to know if there is a bank that will allow opening of accounts without a work permit, i am here on a 60/90 day tourist visa, just dont want to keep getting hit with fees from my australian bank account when withdrawing money at the ATM's, i have searched the forum but there doesnt seem to be much current on this subject

You can open a savings account at Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial and many others here in Thailand just by showing your passport. You can get an ATM card so that you can draw your cash from machines.

bazmlb, you can open an account without a w/p in many places. It is a bit hit and miss, althouh the bank may be the same some local area managers just won't help you. In that case move on to another branch and try again. I opened a Bangkok Bank Account in Pattaya at the branch on second road opposite soi 6, no w/p visa. Another mate did it with a 30 day entry visa at the same place.

The most effective way to save on fees is to use a Westpac Banking account from OZ and transfer the money via the internet. If you have set it to 5K max then you can send 5K and it will only cost you $20 AUD. Send in AUD currency and it will be in your account usually within 24 hours. If you don't want to do it that way you can walk into any branch in OZ and for about $30 you can send much higher amounts. I try to send my money when the exchange rate is in my favour, so when you feel the time is right do it then. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Kasikorn Bank and Ayuthaya Bank raised their interest rates the other day to 4 to 5 per cent, for Thais.

Does anyone know if we as farang somehow can get more than 0,5 per cent on our Thai accounts? 0,5 per cent seems to be the maximum still for us.

Kasikorn Bank and Ayuthaya Bank raised their interest rates the other day to 4 to 5 per cent, for Thais.

Does anyone know if we as farang somehow can get more than 0,5 per cent on our Thai accounts? 0,5 per cent seems to be the maximum still for us.

When you put it in a fixed deposit. You can get the same rate.

www.lawyer.th.com

When you put it in a fixed deposit. You can get the same rate.

www.lawyer.th.com

I know a chap that has just sold his house in the UK, he has put 4 million Baht into an account at the Kaliskorn bank, which pays him interest of 5.5% every 7 months, they then transfer the interest made into his current account, this is what he told me the other day. check it out with the bank.

Read my latest info on the BANGKOK BANK things seem to change daily here in the land of smiles :o