Too many farangs?

typhoon

Given the number of farangs who claim that prices for everything from food to female company are rising in Thailand, I'd imagine there may not be many left in few years.

Might be lots more Koreans, Latinos, Indians and Africans though.

When i travel to the country with my Thai friends, I dont see any farangs.

Only in the tourist type places, historical places, and major towns and villages.

I havent seen many businesses not welcome tourists. At least the nice tourists anyways.

The most hostile Thai vs farang behavior I've seen is here on TV

And to be honest, this is the internet, where men can be women, girls can be boys,

and i'm sure where farang can act like Thia's, and Thai's act like farangs.

So i take all the thai hostility here on TV with a HUGE grain of salt.

the Thai hostility may actually be an azzhole farang.

"The most hostile Thai vs farang behavior I've seen is here on TV"

Yes, it sometimes seems when you read TV regularly that there's an endless barrage of negativity from so many farang, but of course it's really only a fairly small contingent of malcontents who vent behind the cover of anonymity here. I would guess most farang who choose to remain here are fairly content or at least have adjusted to life in Thailand without being in a constant state of agitation. And the vast majority of Thais go about their lives without thinking about farang at all, or if they are unable to ignore them totally, they manage to refrain from exhibiting the paroxysms of hissy fits that plague some of the TV posters who make all the "noise" here.

• Like 2

My thoughts when I read your post was the "Little Britian" sketches about the the only gay in village..whistling.gif

But to answer your question, yes far too many....the Thai goverment should make it harder for farangs to live here long term...increase the fees for the visa's, make the qualification for extension of stays harder, increase all the finanical requirements....

what a stupid comment , there are many expats living in every country in the world today , that's what makes it exciting to up and move to these countries . are there too many Asians in Australia ? no , they bring their culture to the country and so do every one else who lives in another countries . maybe you like the communist way of life . Thailand has visas requirements if long term you need money in the bank , many countries are not as strict as Thailand

Actually maybe just one, the creepy old guy in your avatar touching the teenage looking "frightened" girl.......where in the world did you find this photo from....

the old guy is not so old, and the gf, is well pleased u think she looks like a teenager at 29 years old,lol

When i travel to the country with my Thai friends, I dont see any farangs.

Only in the tourist type places, historical places, and major towns and villages.

I havent seen many businesses not welcome tourists. At least the nice tourists anyways.

The most hostile Thai vs farang behavior I've seen is here on TV

And to be honest, this is the internet, where men can be women, girls can be boys,

and i'm sure where farang can act like Thia's, and Thai's act like farangs.

So i take all the thai hostility here on TV with a HUGE grain of salt.

the Thai hostility may actually be an azzhole farang.

"The most hostile Thai vs farang behavior I've seen is here on TV"

Yes, it sometimes seems when you read TV regularly that there's an endless barrage of negativity from so many farang, but of course it's really only a fairly small contingent of malcontents who vent behind the cover of anonymity here. I would guess most farang who choose to remain here are fairly content or at least have adjusted to life in Thailand without being in a constant state of agitation. And the vast majority of Thais go about their lives without thinking about farang at all, or if they are unable to ignore them totally, they manage to refrain from exhibiting the paroxysms of hissy fits that plague some of the TV posters who make all the "noise" here.

"Malcontent" That's an interesting word.smile.png

First heard it in the film trainspotting.hit-the-fan.gifcheesy.gif

In fact i've never heard the word spoken by anyone in the U.K other than a Scotish person.

Are you a Scot by any chancewai2.gif

CCC

Given the number of farangs who claim that prices for everything from food to female company are rising in Thailand, I'd imagine there may not be many left in few years.

Might be lots more Koreans, Latinos, Indians and Africans though.

Therein lies the dichotomy. To read the neverending whining/whinging on these threads, constantly predicting the demise of Thailand and the mass exodus of farangs, I continue to see a consistent inflow of farangs into Thailand year-after-year. It's non-stop. For some reason, Thailand is like a magnet for a lot of folks.

I think that the economies back home will play a role and the weak dollar/euro/pound will have an impact. But it won't necessarily effect the inflow, only the types of farangs coming to these shores. Farangs will keep coming...but perhaps a different class? Maybe that's a good thing. And yes, perhaps more regional immigration, but I don't see more Africans or Latinos coming.

You should see how many Thais live in Australia.

You should see how many British live in the UK.............

Actually scrub that................sad.png

Mind you, I think the UK is finally coming to grips with the problem. For instance last time I was in Heathrow airport I actually saw a white baggage handler! w00t.gif

• Like 1

Need to trim down the masses and get some quality ones in, IMHO.

Maybe you could suggest that to TAT, see what they think.....................rolleyes.gif

How about an IQ test for a visa be it tourist or retirement?

It might hold up the immigration lines at the airport or imm. office but in the long run would it satisfy your needs?

Would that be a first approach?

Need to trim down the masses and get some quality ones in, IMHO.

Maybe you could suggest that to TAT, see what they think.....................rolleyes.gif

How about an IQ test for a visa be it tourist or retirement?

It might hold up the immigration lines at the airport or imm. office but in the long run would it satisfy your needs?

Would that be a first approach?

Only let tourists in who have 5k gold necklace on show and $10k Rolex.....that should keep everybody happy.thumbsup.gif

All the eccentrics with millions in the bank and backpackers, retirees, teachers can start a new Thailand in Burma!clap2.gif

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang

Everyone is a foreigner almost everywhere. smile.png

We are all farangs!! Even the Thai's abroad are farangs, i'm going to call my wife a farang and see what she says...

biggrin.png

Excellent! If she doesn't like it, suggest an "alternative" like: Sabparod (สับปะรด). That usually gets a good laugh or some slight confusion, depending on disposition of the person. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Only let tourists in who have 5k gold necklace on show and $10k Rolex.....that should keep everybody happy.thumbsup.gif

All the eccentrics with millions in the bank and backpackers, retirees, teachers can start a new Thailand in Burma!clap2.gif

CCC

Please no, I beg you. Don't send them all to Burma. Please.

• Like 2

So what's wrong with farangs in Thailand? Or Indians in Thailand? Or Burmese in Thailand?

Lest we forget--or, heaven forbid, buy into the politically/economically dominant Central Thais' bullshit revisionist history and general propaganda--Thailand, much like the USA, is a nation of immigrants.

The Central Thais came down from the hills of China a mere 1,000 years ago, pushing out and dominating the Mons and Khmers (who as far as anyone knows were always there...or there for a REALLY long time) and Kuys (whom the Thais call Suy) and other "minority groups," not to mention the Malays...sound familiar? Then there's the case of the ethnic Lao; related to the Thais, but already residing in parts of present-day Isan and minding their own business, mostly, until the Central Thais moved in and dominated them, too...

The point being, who says Thailand "belongs to" the Central Thais, any more than America "belongs" to whites of European descent...

My thoughts when I read your post was the "Little Britian" sketches about the the only gay in village..whistling.gif

But to answer your question, yes far too many....the Thai goverment should make it harder for farangs to live here long term...increase the fees for the visa's, make the qualification for extension of stays harder, increase all the finanical requirements....

what a stupid comment , there are many expats living in every country in the world today , that's what makes it exciting to up and move to these countries . are there too many Asians in Australia ? no , they bring their culture to the country and so do every one else who lives in another countries . maybe you like the communist way of life . Thailand has visas requirements if long term you need money in the bank , many countries are not as strict as Thailand

Sorry mate, not stupid at all the comment ! Fully agree with "Soutpeel" that the requirements for long-term residents are way to easy to comply for, as this allows too many border-line individuals that would not be welcome in many countries to establish their base here. "Border-line" being defined as without appropriate resources, or with a "past" involving prison or other not-so-honest activities abroad, or running away from a very nasty past (spouses, family, work) in their home countries. Long-term residents shall pass a language test (yes - I speak Thai fluently), demonstrate a clean state of bills regarding their past, and show much more than 800,000 bahts in a local bank 3 months before the renewal of their visa extension. These measures shall diminish the quantity (topic of this thread) and augment the quality (an additional bonus) of the foreigners living here.

• Like 1