Russian tourist dies in ICU after fateful Phuket swim

webfact

Russian tourist dies in ICU after fateful Phuket swim
Phuket Gazette

lg.jpg
A lifeguard watched tourists carefully at Kata Noi Beach during the dangerous surf of June 20 to 23. Photo: Isaac Stone Simonelli

PHUKET: -- The Russian tourist who was comatose after being pulled from the water at Karon Beach on June 23 died on Tuesday at Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Kho Khay Gym, 31, had gone swimming with friends at Karon Beach when he was struck by big waves and dragged out to sea.

His friends called for help and he was rescued by beach vendors about five minutes later, said Karon Police Sub Lt Niphon Temsang.

He was taken to Patong Hospital and transferred to Vachira Hospital, but never regained consciousness.

“He was pronounced dead at about 7pm on July 2,” a hospital staffer told the Phuket Gazette.

Four swimmers died on Phuket beaches in the period June 20 to 23, when a “super moon” combined with the strong winds of the southwest monsoon made ocean currents especially strong.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Russian-tourist-dies-in-ICU-after-fateful-Phuket-swim-21539.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-04

That's an odd Russian name if ever I've seen one,condolences to the family of the deceased.

Kho Khay Gym, may so be, but remember school and geography... Russia is big, it is huge in

comparizon to our countries and there lives many different kind of tribes and nations....

Yes there has been many signs of warning in Phuket those days, but I guess they were in english.... and english is definitaly NOT a speciality of the russians I may say!! Can maybe work as an wake up call for that country....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

There have been many warnings about these waters lately, so nobody to blame but himself

Aren't you a peach...

A 'peach' or something worse......... How totally insensitive can you be????

Lee b sounds like a typical case of 'mouth in gear while brain is in neutral'

RIP to all 4 of those lost during the last week or so.

That's an odd Russian name if ever I've seen one,condolences to the family of the deceased.

Kho Khay Gym, may so be, but remember school and geography... Russia is big, it is huge in

comparizon to our countries and there lives many different kind of tribes and nations....

Yes there has been many signs of warning in Phuket those days, but I guess they were in english.... and english is definitaly NOT a speciality of the russians I may say!! Can maybe work as an wake up call for that country....

Glegolo

No, warning signs are in many languages, including Russian.

....I really don't see how a single red flag serves the purpose to keep people safe in a very dangerous situation....

...beaches are to be patrolled...or closed.....

They are patrolled, there are flags and big warning signs.

People choose to ignore the warnings though, because they don't know the ocean.

I never go in the water here in Jomtien, and not because of the waves. I would be safer swimming in my unflushed toilet. Here there are all sorts of Lifeguard platforms, never ever manned. Must have been built for the kickback. No money to be had patrolling for drownings, and probably not even get a tip for pulling someone from the surf.

Glegolo

what language its written in is neither here or there,,,,thats why theres a big RED FLAG there it isnt that hard to know,,its an international sign on beaches as far as i know,,like a no entry sign when your driving i presume regards,,,,,

There have been many warnings about these waters lately, so nobody to blame but himself

Yeah, be a hero and make this comment at the wake, in front of dozens of vodka'd up Russians.

ooooooooooow,,lee,b is correct ,,although he sounds a tad harsh,,,,,

what language its written in is neither here or there,,,,thats why theres a big RED FLAG there it isnt that hard to know,,its an international sign on beaches as far as i know,,like a no entry sign when your driving i presume regards,,,,,

I live very far from any ocean compared to the average ThaiVisa member. If it wasn't for this website, I would have no idea what a red flag at a beach means, and even so, I probably wouldn't even notice a red flag at a beach (I wouldn't even know where the flags are located or what shape they are).

....I really don't see how a single red flag serves the purpose to keep people safe in a very dangerous situation....

...beaches are to be patrolled...or closed.....

They are patrolled, there are flags and big warning signs.

People choose to ignore the warnings though, because they don't know the ocean.

Or traffic laws and taking precautions when crossing rail lines.

I was always taught that you should never enter the water if a red flag is flying on a beach. If there is a string of flags (yellow and red), never swim between the red flags. Yellow and red flags denote the area is monitored by life guards.

Perhaps I have got that wrong, but it is what I always followed, or perhaps there is a different meaning here in Thailand?

Anyway, the photo in the OP doesn't instill confidence, showing a red flag, a life guard and people in the water. Yes, I understand it is likely an achieve photograph, but a bit insensitive for the OP all the same.

I was always taught that you should never enter the water if a red flag is flying on a beach. If there is a string of flags (yellow and red), never swim between the red flags. Yellow and red flags denote the area is monitored by life guards.

Perhaps I have got that wrong, but it is what I always followed, or perhaps there is a different meaning here in Thailand?

Anyway, the photo in the OP doesn't instill confidence, showing a red flag, a life guard and people in the water. Yes, I understand it is likely an achieve photograph, but a bit insensitive for the OP all the same.

Unfortunately that is reality: red flags, lifeguards warning people against swimming and the people ignoring the lifeguards.

Unfortunately that is reality: red flags, lifeguards warning people against swimming and the people ignoring the lifeguards.

I agree. People entering the water, despite being warned of imminent danger, must take some responsibility for their actions.

It appears the temptation to swim in the ocean, whilst on holiday here, is too great for many, with some not making it back home.

Edited by NamKangMan