Thai Yai 'Samurai motorcycle gang' doing drive by crimes in CM?

jaideeguy

The wife just told me that she heard on the local news about a Thai Yai Shan motorcycle gang that call themselves 'the Samurai' gang and they are doing random hit and run acts like throwing rocks at people and windows of shops and even some reports of slash and run from their motorcycles. Also heard a stern warning from BKK head police for the local cops to put a stop to it or they will harm tourism. Can anyone else confirm this??

A come back? From 2008

Each time a new Samurai gang rears its menacing head the authorities and media disseminate fear throughout Chiang Mai and soon the city's residents are waiting for the inevitable day they'll be surrounded by pseudo-warriors on spruced up 125 cc Hondas. In 2002 when Dew's boys were in full swing (pun intended) we battened down the hatches, locked up our daughters and sat petrified at late night red lights. Collective Samurai fright was such, that other street gangs started tooling themselves up with the new weapon of choice. The whole city was in a frenzy over these apparently savage teenagers on motorcycles with a zero tolerance to attached limbs.

Dew, laughing as I recall the paranoia of those harrowing days, claims that the media and police were very far from the truth, propagating an exaggeration of facts which sent a sinister message out to the public while also sending shockwaves through other gangs. "Casualties were only inflicted on a few rival gang members," says Dew, "not the general public like people were told." But of course gossip was spread and cultivated until the Chiang Mai public was writing each others' nightmares from the rumours they'd heard (everyone seemed to claim a sister-in-law or neighbour who had a best friend whose uncle had been chopped down one dark night by the Samurai), while the cops were steadfast in capturing the heads of these ostensibly deadly gangs.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2096

And recently and more real in the results.

Police Seize Samurai Sword from Student Gang in Changpuek

CityNews - On 29th June, around 2.30 p.m. Changpuek Police apprehended a group of twelve young men who were sitting in front of seven-eleven, Boriboon Market branch, on Chotana Road. When body searches were performed on the group a metre long Samurai sword was found.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2004

Teen Cut Up Young Man in Knife Attack - Victim says for no reason at all

CityNews – On 24th June, at around 1 a.m., Somnuek Torbue (19) ran into Maeping Police Station after being attacked. Somnuek was covered in blood after his head and right shoulder had been slashed with a knife in what the victim says was an attack without motive.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=1975

Over the years its been samurai gang, miyo gang, motorsai gang, etc etc etc. Basically young boys out and about having fun and causing trouble. Couple of days ago a student was caught near Chang Puek with a sword, guess that brings talks of the gangs back... BTW, Thai Yais are the generic scape goats in Thailand.

the samurai gang are local cm vocational students not thai yai. reported news on media also did not mention thai yai but vocational students.

above post was right. its always these so called "news" spread around via facebook, twitter with inaccurate details and always blame on thai yai and various other hill tribes

Follow CM108 on Facebook.

Just a week or so ago they caught one of them with a big sword.

Don't know how they are picking their targets. They have been slicing people, throwing rocks at moving cars.

And that is just is being reported.

There have been some dogs found to have big sword type wounds.

Hopefully they don't start going after tourists... That is not going to play well.

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=142

The police don't look very forgiving of these ones.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=563176007061967&set=a.126356387410600.16792.111227565590149&type=1&theater

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Thanks Tywais for the links and I now feel safer on the streets of CM, not that we're ever in town after dark anyway. It seems as I suspected......over hyped by the press.

interesting read from the Chiang mai news.........

kids will be kids everywhere and I used to be a naughty teenager myself, but never carried a blade longer than 5 inches, and never had cause to use it. Funny to compare motorcycle gangs on 125cc Hondas with the Hell's Angles who rode real motorcycles.

saw a songthew getting a real fisting at taepae gate the other day (late afternoon). but the guy standing at his drivers door doing the honours wasnt young and wasnt taking prisoners. bib arrived shortly but not b4 songthew was somewhat delirious and red. me, i quickly move away, assuming the guns would be drawn any second. but no guns or knives that i could see from my now distant vantage point. both actors thai or chinese.

Edited by ttwitt

They were not the the Samurai' gang, but just a small bunch of thugs out on the rampage.

Some of this group is now in custody and off the streets for a while and a few have been released pending charges and a court appearance.

The police have taken a no tolerance policy with these gangs, most being apprehended and arrested as soon as they begin to cause trouble. So no cause for alarm.

• Like 1

my other better half is tai yai. they are always blamed for basically everything that seems wrong going on around chiang mai and the north. well, i guess them and the hill tribes. but especially tai yai, as they are burmese and hated. i've personally been around at least 10 situations of being marked, questioned, asked to show ID, and then summarily dismissed. along with this treatment is the invariable disrespect from a thai person because of language. tai yai can speak thai, but they are laughed at many times when doing so. i was once standing behind my wife when a food cart vendor spoke incredibly rude to her. i stepped up, told him to show some respect as this was my wife and i would not tolerate it, and he changed his tune. when i read the original post, a little bit of steam came out, as i know that means the police and others will be on the "hunt" for these "hoodlums." which means, more stops of the tai yai people and more cash in the police coffers. pricks. sorry, i feel strong about this.

Edited by BuddhaMind

Thai TV had one of the original Samurai gang members on and he said these are just kids looking to show they have power and not associated with the real gang.

Of course none of that matters if they are slashing people at random.

saw a songthew getting a real fisting at taepae gate the other day (late afternoon). but the guy standing at his drivers door doing the honours wasnt young and wasnt taking prisoners. bib arrived shortly but not b4 songthew was somewhat delirious and red. me, i quickly move away, assuming the guns would be drawn any second. but no guns or knives that i could see from my now distant vantage point. both actors thai or chinese.

I've been cut up so many times by Red Songtaews and I have often felt like doing the same-common sense prevailed, however.

BTW-I'm not sure that giving someone a good beating is commonly called 'Fisting' -- or is it??

Oops-sorry I just saw that CMKiwi beat me to it above.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by haybilly