Indian tourist punched and kicked outside South Pattaya shopping mall

webfact

This is why Thailand is pushing for the quality tourist. This sort of thing tarnishes Thailand's reputation. If these people were quality tourists they wouldn't be shopping at market stalls they would be in Major Department stores shopping for designer items (made in India & Bangladesh). This incident would not have happened.thumbsup.gif

Are u serious or disturbed

Like I have said numerous times in this topic it was in jest, that is why added the smiley. It was a joke and not a serious post, lighten up some people and don't let it spoil your day. Cheers.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why Thailand is pushing for the quality tourist. This sort of thing tarnishes Thailand's reputation. If these people were quality tourists they wouldn't be shopping at market stalls they would be in Major Department stores shopping for designer items (made in India & Bangladesh). This incident would not have happened.thumbsup.gif

Like I have said numerous times in this topic it was in jest, that is why added the smiley. It was a joke and not a serious post, lighten up some people and don't let it spoil your day. Cheers.

Chooka,

No need to apologize again. Some of can recognize tongue in cheek humour.

• Like 2

Cheers, i did ask if u were serious first,and thats not a smiley thingy lol

must asked for stupid discount

Yes that's true, i used to go to Pratunam and the way they bargain either make the vendors sick or good for a laugh....price 100 baht and they bargain to 20 baht.cheesy.gif ...or they ask to look at almost every item but not buying at the end,,,,I am not saying every Indian does it but at Pratunam most do it..bah.gif

My gf was at Pratanam yesterday and she said that most of the stalls are now run by Indians (or Bangladeshi ). I have noticed this in Pantip and along lower Sukhumvit road too. It will be interesting to watch the bargining at these stalls between Indian seller and Indian customer.

Wow that's interesting. Do the Thai authorities allow this, or they just turn a blind eye to it? I thought that street vending was only allowed to be practiced by Thais (or in border areas by citizens of the neighboring country). Although I did see a Belgian street vendor selling goods in Mae Sai once.

Kolkata airport is flooded with low class travelers. Mostly they come to trade TV, cloths and several fancy Chinese goods.

While staying in Thailand, they believe worst than in India.

The way they look towards Thai women, shame on them.

True story - on all four flights I took to/from Kolkata (2 return flights between Bangkok and Kolkata on THAI) earlier this year, the same traders were on all 4 flights with me. The guy that sat next to me on my first outbound flight because a family member traveling with me was upgraded to business class appeared on all three other flights. Spooky! However, it turns out that at least 2-3 more people from the first flight I was on were also on 1-2 of the remaining 3 flights I was on. So it seems the same traders are constantly traveling back and forth between Thailand and Kolkata, probably spending only 2-3 nights in Bangkok, followed by 1 night on the plane in each direction (coz it's a night flight) and the other 2-3 nights in Kolkata. They always carry things like TVs and clothing back to India and bring tea and textiles to Bangkok.

• Like 1

more of a wink and a nudge sorry.

I enjoy observing the diversity of the different cultural patterns of the visitors and residents in Pattaya. But I'm not a vendor. I think it's unrealistic to expect short term tourists in a tourist resort to radically change cultural behaviors that have been normal to them all their lives. It would be smarter of the vendors to adjust THEIR behaviors and attitudes to account for the diversity of cultures that they encounter everyday. Yes their job is the peddle tourist dreck but another part of their role is being part of the Thailand tourism brand. Hopefully not so thuggish as the story in the OP.

That's true - since I speak Thai fluently (including reading and writing) I live in a different world to most tourists/expats because I can understand Thai people better and know the culture better. It is quite apparent to me that even in the most touristy places, Thai culture prevails and there is almost an expectation on the part of the locals for tourists not to interact with them in an offensive way, even if it's unintentional on the part of the tourist. The only thing that Thais in tourist areas don't usually expect is a foreigner speaking their language, but these days more and more foreigners can speak Thai so even in touristy areas one will find Thais that are not trained to interact with foreigners because their English and other foreign language skills are limited. This is fine by me, as I speak Thai with every Thai no matter if I'm in a tourist area or not, but for your average tourist it seems that despite the increase in visitor numbers over the years you still don't feel like you're in an "international zone" like you used to. A few years ago I always thought of places like Paragon and MBK as touristy malls where you could be forgiven for thinking you were anywhere else in the world but nowadays they somehow feel less international to me. Not sure how other expats feel but that has become my impression. It could also be related to me mostly hanging around Thai people and knowing the language, whereas some years ago this wasn't the case but on the other hand, I have noticed a trend that even in touristy areas more Thais are acknowledging that some foreigners can speak their language whereas years ago they'd be very surprised if anyone could string together more than "sawadee krup/ka" and "khob kun krap/ka".

must asked for stupid discount

Yes that's true, i used to go to Pratunam and the way they bargain either make the vendors sick or good for a laugh....price 100 baht and they bargain to 20 baht.cheesy.gif ...or they ask to look at almost every item but not buying at the end,,,,I am not saying every Indian does it but at Pratunam most do it..bah.gif

My gf was at Pratanam yesterday and she said that most of the stalls are now run by Indians (or Bangladeshi ). I have noticed this in Pantip and along lower Sukhumvit road too. It will be interesting to watch the bargining at these stalls between Indian seller and Indian customer.

Wow that's interesting. Do the Thai authorities allow this, or they just turn a blind eye to it? I thought that street vending was only allowed to be practiced by Thais (or in border areas by citizens of the neighboring country). Although I did see a Belgian street vendor selling goods in Mae Sai once.

What surprised me was the Indians seem to be running some the stalls along Sukhumvit Road was where the deaf & dumb Thai Stall owners were. At least those guys had sense of humour whereas the Indians were asking ridiculous prices that were not even worth the effort to bargain down. For example they asked us for 500 baht for a plastic phone carrier thingy for songhan. We just walked away and i got one in Big C for something like 25 baht. . Don't know and i am not asking if they have Work Permits.

• Like 1

what a completley stupid post,,how old are you,,,your embarrasing yourself,,

Oh the irony.Whoosh.

more of a wink and a nudge sorry.

Sir, I think you should not say sorry again and again.

You are not that one who kick and punch said Indian tourist.

this is normal and accepted in Thailand, watch a Thai soapie and you will see how far a temper tantrum can go and how Thais think this is normal and acceptable

if further evidence is needed check the police reaction, or lack there of

Edited by wwex
  • Like 1