Bangkok named top city in the world by Travel + Leisure (again)

webfact

Ow and i forgot to have ago about the fact that when something like a pole or phone box is removed they always leave 4-10inches of it dangerously sticking out of the ground the roads bow in like a u just so that when it rains they can make shore it floods and and incompetency seams to be a art form that is taken very seriously to perfect.

Bangkok number one? . My first couple of trips I would visit the city. 14 years later my wife and 3 kids and I get picked up at the airport and head to our home in the northeast. The longest I could ever stay in bangkok was 2 weeks. It stinks , its dirty, noisy, traffic is horrible, river and canals are full of sewage, etc., and over 14 years all of this has gotten worse. Bangkok-it is fun and exciting for the first time visitor to Thailand, but after being there and doing that , my family and I avoid it. When I think of nice cities -places like San francisco, Munich, Paris, Vancouver. When I visit a city I like to go for a run or bicycle ride , and not feel like I was poisoning myself just by being in it. Bangkok is not a culturally diverse place(not a melting pot)-it is culturally very different from the west. I like Thailand very much and enjoy trips to my "other home" as I tell people. I think Bangkok is very much worth a visit for the first time traveler-I tell everyone who is going , to spend a few days exploring it. Have fun. biggrin.png

Bangkok is not a culturally diverse place

How much of Bkk have you actually, seen, visited or experienced?

Next time you visit, take a trip to the market at Min Buri if you want to see culturally diverse.

Visit the city when its empty during Songkran when the workers head home, people of all religions and backgrounds live and work here, never once have I heard of race riots taking place, sadly the same cant be said for some of the cities you mention.

• Like 1

I wonder if the judges ever left their 5 star resort hotel? Have they seen the traffic? The millions of mangy street dogs? The lack of parks? The air pollution? The noise? Protests, riots and bombings? Is that what the tourists like?

What ever criteria was used - possibly the ability to pay the highest bribe to the judges (thanks TAT) - , it definitely overlooked Bangkok's bad points. There dozens of American and European cities and a few Asian cities which beat Bangkok hands down. Bangkok is cheap. That's it. Maybe being cheap is what appealed to the voters

Edited by Time Traveller

One has to wonder about the selection and voting process here!

Pick any subject and find a magazine about it.

The company that generates the highest advertising revenue wins the awards.

It's fairly common.

Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

I "love" Bangkok....well I love to see it slowly sink below the ocean. Build a new capital with some thought to city planning...oh, that planning word, guess it will never happen.

• Like 2

I find the 'if you don't like it then go home shower' so tedious. Finding fault with some aspect of life in LOS doesn't mean that the whole package is rejected. Can I light a little lamp in the brains of the hard of thinking? People comment adversely or otherwise because they care. The opposite of love isn't hate; it is indifference. People comment because they are not indifferent. They see what they consider improvements that could be made, to make life easier, better, maybe more stress free. Do all those who write, or have written 'if you don't like it go home' never had had cause to complain or moan? Does the air quality meets your standards, do you not mind your house being flooded, do you admire the capacity for Thais to create a traffic jam, or you not offended by the beggars or ladies that sell themselves because of the greed and avarice of those who control things to their own advantage? If you are not OK with one or more of those things, then why don't you go home? Does that make clear how dumb your comment is?

I am not really put out by a visit to BKK but if it was mandated that I had to live there I would go abroad, somewhere else. My choice. It is not unusual for posters to tell the audience what a cesspit Pattaya is. I opine that such have never ventured to the east of Sai Sarm, but that is their choice. I like living in Patts/Jomtien but no way would I recommend the city as a holiday centre unless to a sot or pervert. Would I recommend BKK as a hoiday centre? Only to a despised enemy. Vienna, Prague, Buda and Pest, Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona are redolent with places to visit and reflect on past events that occured there. That is my idea of a hiloday, others may be content to lie on a beach and turn pink or worse. BKK is neither one nor the other or anything in between. Nothing important ever happened there. It's subsidence into the sea will not unduly discomfort the World. Just my opinion - that's all. You don't have to value it.

• Like 1

I lived in Phuket for 5 years and moved to BKK about 11 months ago. I love it there. I like the energy of the place, I like the fact I can do something every night of the week if I want (parties, restaurants, openings), I can play sport (I mean competitive sport, rugby, football, touch, basketball in a club atmosphere) and I like the fact it is a very culturally diverse city. Lot's of people from all over the world in my circle of friends (thai, english, american, canadian, singaporean, uruguayan, etc). I live in Sukhumvit so I can go to Benjasiri, Queen Sirikit and Lumpini park in about 10 minutes on my bike and catch the sky train to any of the malls if I want to shop, eat or catch a movie.

I know it's not for everyone (the traffic drove me crazy so I sold my car and just take public transport or taxi's now and that works for me) but for me, at this time, it is the most fun place in the world to live. I don't go to the naughty boy venues very often, maybe once a month and usually it is someone visiting and wants to see them. So much to see and do I honestly don't understand how people can say it is a boring city to live in. But again that is me

• Like 2

I see a range of comments here, which is as it probably should be, but of the many negative comments, I also note that there are a number that are just plain nasty.

The concept that one may love a place and still be critical is fine, and of course is true, but seriously, there are comments here that could only come from people who truly hate the place - if all one has to say about a city is in such tones, then perhaps it really is time for those people to reconsider why they are here, putting up with a situation that they clearly find almost unbearable.

If you really feel that Bangkok is a dump and should sink into the sea, then perhaps not being anywhere near the place is best - but is Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Udon etcetera far enough away I wonder?

I don't like to tell people that if they don't like a place then they should leave, because my first impressions of the city back in the late 80's were that it was a place that I would never consider living in... but here I am in 2013, having lived permanently in Bangkok for the past 21 years, and I love it. So my take on positive criticism is that it is a valuable and worthwhile input that perhaps does need to be taken seriously, but there is nothing whatsoever positive about some of the comments I see here, and so for those who truly do hate my city, do yourself a favour.

On the flip side, for those who love the place, but see the problems, and want them brought to the notice of the people, I agree and wish you well, and I do hope that our positive criticisms of Krung Thep, and other parts of the country we call home, will eventually make a difference.

The "number one city in the world" rating is somewhat dubious in many ways, but taking into account the points being measured or voted on, it does make sense. Bangkok is a great place to live, and I have lived and worked in many cities in the world, throughout Asia, parts of the Middle East, Uk and Europe, and have visited a number of places in the US (I don't feel qualified to comment on America of course), and honestly, I can say that Bangkok is my choice for a permanent abode, as it has been all this time; therefore it certainly IS number one city in the world for me!

• Like 1

I find the 'if you don't like it then go home shower' so tedious. Finding fault with some aspect of life in LOS doesn't mean that the whole package is rejected. Can I light a little lamp in the brains of the hard of thinking? People comment adversely or otherwise because they care. The opposite of love isn't hate; it is indifference. People comment because they are not indifferent. They see what they consider improvements that could be made, to make life easier, better, maybe more stress free. Do all those who write, or have written 'if you don't like it go home' never had had cause to complain or moan? Does the air quality meets your standards, do you not mind your house being flooded, do you admire the capacity for Thais to create a traffic jam, or you not offended by the beggars or ladies that sell themselves because of the greed and avarice of those who control things to their own advantage? If you are not OK with one or more of those things, then why don't you go home? Does that make clear how dumb your comment is?

I am not really put out by a visit to BKK but if it was mandated that I had to live there I would go abroad, somewhere else. My choice. It is not unusual for posters to tell the audience what a cesspit Pattaya is. I opine that such have never ventured to the east of Sai Sarm, but that is their choice. I like living in Patts/Jomtien but no way would I recommend the city as a holiday centre unless to a sot or pervert. Would I recommend BKK as a hoiday centre? Only to a despised enemy. Vienna, Prague, Buda and Pest, Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona are redolent with places to visit and reflect on past events that occured there. That is my idea of a hiloday, others may be content to lie on a beach and turn pink or worse. BKK is neither one nor the other or anything in between. Nothing important ever happened there. It's subsidence into the sea will not unduly discomfort the World. Just my opinion - that's all. You don't have to value it.

I agree with you and said it before: No city is perfect, and every individual has their own list of important points, and will make their own total score.

I replied to one poster "if you don't like it why do you live here", because he was totally negative about Bangkok. If I felt like this about any city, I wouldn't live there. He then said that he is moving anyway.

I disagreed with the negativity of one poster who said that there are no parks in Bangkok (he has never been to Duesseldorf, otherwise he would consider Bangkok a very green city) and said (I think it was him but may have been another poster) that Bangkok gets flooded all the time (was true in the 1980s and 1990s, but now you really have to seek out the areas to get flooded). And even when the soi I lived in got flooded every rainy season, which is indeed a negative point, my overall score for Bangkok was still better than elsewhere.

I have good friends who live in Pattaya. They wouldn't want to live in Bangkok and I would want to live in Patts, and that's OK. I love New York, but no longer than two weeks at a time. San Francisco or Sydney are beautiful for a vacation. Taipei is a nice place to live in - if it does not rain (which it does most of the year).

I recommend Bangkok for a vacation, but within three days you have seen the sights and it is time to head for the beaches. If you live here, it's a different story: You build up relationships, you participate in the more than 30 networking events that are offered per month (something for everybody's interests), you see a stage play or go to a concert. You have a wide range of discotheques and pubs, in different areas of the city with different focus groups - despite my age, I head to RCA sometimes, otherwise I can be seen at the variety of English/Irish pubs (even though I can tell the difference only from the pub's name), and there is a lot of other things going on. No problem, if you want, to be at a different kind of entertainment venue every night. I don't do that any more (I did when I came to Bangkok over 20 years ago), but at least I have the choice to pick when I feel like it. That's why I like big metropolitan cities. I guess it has to do with me having grown up in a metropolis; it may be different for people who grew up in small towns. They might feel more comfortable in small towns, that's quite normal.

And I enjoy hanging out with Thai people. You definitely have a wide range of cultural and entertainment venues in many other cities around the world too, but it is the Thais I feel comfortable to be around with.

Everybody makes their own decision where they want to live and that is perfectly fine.

Im planning on getting out too. After nearly 8 years, I can't see the point in living here. I'm originally from the Big Apple (NYC). I cannot fathom for the life of me how Bkk can even rate a listing in this poll, much less win the top spot.

I've had some wonderful, awesome, amazing, out of this world experiences here. I've been fortunate enough to stay busy pursuing my professional interests. However, it's simply not enough to ignore the rampant corruption, pollution, chaotic traffic and complete lack of foresight and planning. Plus, sorry to say, I cannot accept certain aspects of this culture. Too much hypocrisy abounds, You can have it, for those who wish to stay.

After my departure, I'm not returning to the USA. My sights are set elsewhere, adios!

Im planning on getting out too. After nearly 8 years, I can't see the point in living here. I'm originally from the Big Apple (NYC). I cannot fathom for the life of me how Bkk can even rate a listing in this poll, much less win the top spot.

I've had some s wonderful, awesome, amazing, out of this world experiences here. I've been fortunate enough to stay busy pursuing my professional interests. However, it's simply not enough to ignore the rampant corruption, pollution, chaotic traffic and complete lack of foresight and planning. Plus, sorry to say, I cannot accept certain aspects of this culture. Too much hypocrisy abounds, You can have it, for those who wish to stay.

After my departure, I'm not returning to the USA. My sights are set elsewhere, adios!

No one is saying that living in Bangkok suits everyone. For me the "wonderful, awesome, amazing, out of this world experiences" more than compensate for the relatively minor inconveniences and I find the chaos, lack of planning, and randomness rather exciting and even endearing. The pollution sucks, but which city doesn't have any?

Yes, I live here and like it. Far better than any mainland US city, in fact. But, if I had my 'druthers, I'd be in Honolulu or anywhere in Hawaii. Of course, I would be paying $500,000 for a two room shack as well. In SE Asia, I'm beginning to like KL and environs more and more.

I've had some wonderful, awesome, amazing, out of this world experiences here. I've been fortunate enough to stay busy pursuing my professional interests. However, it's simply not enough to ignore the rampant corruption, pollution, chaotic traffic and complete lack of foresight and planning. Plus, sorry to say, I cannot accept certain aspects of this culture. Too much hypocrisy abounds, You can have it, for those who wish to stay.

Oh New York New York: The city they liked so much they named it twice. I've had some wonderful, awesome, amazing and out of this world experiences there. However, it's simply not enough to ignore the rampant crime, pollution, chaotic traffic (well, they do have a very good subway system, so no need to head into traffic) and complete lack of good weather. OK, there are exceptional days every year when the whether is good.

But then, that's OK. I like NYC. It has everything I value, including cultural and entertainment offers. Bangkok is still a nudge better (for me personally), because 1. the people and 2. the weather.

Bangkok versinkt?

Is Bangkok sinking? I don't think that will be made into a movie the way "Brent Paris?" was but let's try to answer the question. Bangkok starts off badly with an average elevation of 4 ft 11 inches according to Wiki. That means small changes have large consequences. And change is coming to Bangkok from two directions, a Double Whammy. One factor is freshwater flooding. Thailand's forests are gone, sold off by the 1%, and ain't comin' back in time to be of help. That always ensures rivers go to the sea faster, and Bangkok's river is doing that, will do that. You can divert that fast water but to where? The second is seawater flooding. A former Chairman of the Venice in Peril Fund, Anna Somers Cocks, writes this month that “the water has overtopped the impermeable stone bases of most buildings and is being absorbed by porous bricks, fragmenting them away and washing away the mortar”. But Bangkok doesn't even have an impermeable base. Wiki again: The geology of the Bangkok area is characterized by a top layer of soft marine clay known as Bangkok clay, averaging 49 ft in thickness, which overlies an aquifer system. This feature has contributed to the effects of subsidence caused by extensive ground water pumping. ... Subsidence became a critical issue, reaching a rate of 120 millimetres (4.7 in) per year in 1981. Subsidence is still occurring at a rate of 10 to 30 millimetres (0.39 to 1.2 in) per year, and parts of the city are now 3 ft 3 in below sea level.[20] There are fears that the city may be submerged by 2030." It's not "Will Bangkok Sink?" It's "When Will Bangkok Sink?" A top layer of soft clay on an aquifer, it doesn't get worse than that.

I'm one of those in this thread who consider Bangkok a dump, a fiasco by every standard of urban planning, but I wish no harm to anyone there. May all of you there be forever young -- but start looking for terra firma in Chiang Rai soon, real soon.