New Passport, do I need to transfer tourist visa?

I just made a new passport at my embassy in Bangkok because the old passport was already expiring in September. Do I need to transfer my tourist visa (90 day tourist visa) from my old passport to my new one? Or can I just present both at immigration (at the airport) when I leave Thailand?

Also, if I need to transfer it where would I do that?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Present both pasports when you leave.

Exactly what wayned said. Present both and you can't go wrong.

My wife has just had her passport renewed in the UK. Her retirement visa is in the old one. She just needs to present both until she renews her visa in September.

Present both pasports when you leave.

Exactly what wayned said. Present both and you can't go wrong.

My wife has just had her passport renewed in the UK. Her retirement visa is in the old one. She just needs to present both until she renews her visa in September.

If she goes to Immigration they will transfer it to her new passport. Free.

A visa is never transferred. But suspect this may be an extension of stay for retirement and in that case the extension and information of original visa must be transferred into the new passport at immigration issuing the extension of stay.

I guess it is quite simple.

If you obtain a new passport, your old passport is not valid any more.

That might mean the "visa" IN the passport is not valid any more.

If controlled by police/immigration police, you have a passport without any stamps, visa's etc.

Oh, you have an old passport with stamps & visa?

How nice.

If in doubt, check with immigration police.

Immigration in Nong Khai transferred my Immigration O-O (based on marriage) multiple entry 1 year visa. Cost me 20 baht (I think for her lunch).

I doubt they transferred the visa, I think they transferred the extension of stay with re-entry permit.

I am in exactly the same situation. My old passport expires in September. I have already received my new passport with the instruction (from NZ immigration) to cut the corner of the old passport to say it has expired, but on my next 90 day reporting I will simply show the old passport & if there is a question about it I will have my new passport and ask them what tot do.

I am in exactly the same situation. My old passport expires in September. I have already received my new passport with the instruction (from NZ immigration) to cut the corner of the old passport to say it has expired, but on my next 90 day reporting I will simply show the old passport & if there is a question about it I will have my new passport and ask them what tot do.

make copies of both new and old passport and your arrival/departure card and visit immigration. At immigration you fill in form.

Immigration will transfer the stamps to the new passport for free, so you only have to use the new passport.

Thanks for the replies!

For my case, it is only a tourist visa with that card that you have to fill out in the airplane (with departure and arrival sides). No extension of stay or any other types of visa.

I have read on previous posts that even when people went to the immigration office here in Bangkok they said that they could not transfer such visas and just to go directly to the airport with both passports. The conflicting reports I read were at some border posts, not at the airport. I might be wrong, so if anyone had any problems with a case like this at the airport please let me know.

I think I will just go the airport earlier than normal and hope there are no problems.

You will have no problem at airport.

Just ignore posts about going to immigration those were for people that have extensions of stay.

If you went to immigration they might turn you away and tell you to do it at airport.

A visa is never transferred. But suspect this may be an extension of stay for retirement and in that case the extension and information of original visa must be transferred into the new passport at immigration issuing the extension of stay.

My passport expired in september 2014 and my retiredment etension in february 2014, do I have to get a new passport for the new extension. I leave thailand in mars 2014 and have a new passport when returning

in october 2014 + the old one too

You must get a new passport and extension placed in that if you want to continue retirement extensions of stay without a break - as you do not plan to return until after any extension in old passport would be invalid as they do not extend beyond date of expiration (August) and you say return is in October. As you plan to be here longer than current extension allows getting a new passport and extension prior to leaving seems the best option as you will then not have to worry about the extra time in February/March and will have a passport with more than six month validity at all times. Just remember to get a re-entry permit at the same time you extend.

I just went through this same procedure less than a month ago. I was told by my embassy that all i needed to do was present both passports , even though the older one with the visa stamp (Mine was for an Non immigrant B) was now cancelled. Word of warning, they lied or did not have a clue. I was faced with the reality that i would lose the remaining 7 months of my visa. Their response at immigration was to cancel my flight and obtain the necessary stamp at immigration in Bangkok. (Not the airport immigration). I guess you could say i was less than impressed considering i would of thought i would of needed to have it transferred to the new book but stupidily took the advice of an embassy official. Should of gone with my initial gut feeling.

I would suggest you organise at immigration in Bangkok , before heading out to the airport. Your visa being a 90 day visa , may apply differently to the yearly immigration B visa, but i would definately check with Immigration in Bangkok to avoid a similar senario.

Interesting.

I travelled for a number of years with two passports. One "expired" and the other with a note inserted by the UK passport office to the effect that my "expired" passport contained a valid visa. The visa related to a Middle Eastern country and not Thailand.

I just went through this same procedure less than a month ago. I was told by my embassy that all i needed to do was present both passports , even though the older one with the visa stamp (Mine was for an Non immigrant cool.png was now cancelled. Word of warning, they lied or did not have a clue. I was faced with the reality that i would lose the remaining 7 months of my visa. Their response at immigration was to cancel my flight and obtain the necessary stamp at immigration in Bangkok. (Not the airport immigration). I guess you could say i was less than impressed considering i would of thought i would of needed to have it transferred to the new book but stupidily took the advice of an embassy official. Should of gone with my initial gut feeling.

I would suggest you organise at immigration in Bangkok , before heading out to the airport. Your visa being a 90 day visa , may apply differently to the yearly immigration B visa, but i would definately check with Immigration in Bangkok to avoid a similar senario.

That is the difference bewteen a tourist visa or visa exempt entry and a non-immigrant office. The last one must be taken care of at an immirgaiton office, the first ones can be done at the border.

I just went through this same procedure less than a month ago. I was told by my embassy that all i needed to do was present both passports , even though the older one with the visa stamp (Mine was for an Non immigrant B) was now cancelled. Word of warning, they lied or did not have a clue. I was faced with the reality that i would lose the remaining 7 months of my visa. Their response at immigration was to cancel my flight and obtain the necessary stamp at immigration in Bangkok. (Not the airport immigration). I guess you could say i was less than impressed considering i would of thought i would of needed to have it transferred to the new book but stupidily took the advice of an embassy official. Should of gone with my initial gut feeling.

Your post is is completly wrong for OP's case. He does not need to have done at immigration.

I suspect you had an extension of stay not a visa.

If you had a valid visa the embassies advise was correct. You just go to airport showing both passports. Your visa in old passport can be used until it expires by showing both passports upon entry to use the visa.

As said he had an extension of stay (loss of 7 months without re-entry permit) so transfer had to be done at immigration prior to travel. Those on actual visa or visa exempt entry (90 days or less) do not do at immigration but take both passports to departure point when have old/new passports.

Concerning NON-O or NON-(any categorie) visa-extension transfer to new passport.

With old passport apply for one year extension stamped until date of expiration.

Get new passport. Usually apply one month before expiration.

Present old and new passport at immigration any date before old expiration.

The visa-extension will be stamped in new passport for the rest of this years' extension free of charge.

I forget if you must fill in a form and must make any copies.

Then every next years when do extension, you have to bring copies from old passport also.

Two copies of original Visa and copies of change from TR to NON-O if so and it's extension.

To be sure ask immigration beforehand.

You should not have to bring any copies of old passports, and I have never done so - the original visa information is entered into the new passport along with the extension of stay information and they have the old passport and extensions on file if they want to check.

I just went through this same procedure less than a month ago. I was told by my embassy that all i needed to do was present both passports , even though the older one with the visa stamp (Mine was for an Non immigrant cool.png was now cancelled. Word of warning, they lied or did not have a clue. I was faced with the reality that i would lose the remaining 7 months of my visa. Their response at immigration was to cancel my flight and obtain the necessary stamp at immigration in Bangkok. (Not the airport immigration). I guess you could say i was less than impressed considering i would of thought i would of needed to have it transferred to the new book but stupidily took the advice of an embassy official. Should of gone with my initial gut feeling.

Your post is is completly wrong for OP's case. He does not need to have done at immigration.

If you had a valid visa the embassies advise was correct. You just go to airport showing both passports. Your visa in old passport can be used until it expires by showing both passports upon entry to use the visa.

No it wasn't an extension of stay but an actual 1 year non immigrant B visa. This is why i was confused and annoyed when at immigration at the airport. I took it up with immigration there but told me they could not stamp the visa into my new passport even though the embassy had told me this is the normal procedure. As for OP's case i realise it was a different visa an may relate to different procedures but was merely pointing out one way or another to take it up with them before heading out to the airport as to avoid a similar scenario. :-)

• 2 months later...