Farang got Stabbed

ShopBoy

The taxi driver's (Mr Choetchai) version of the story in Today's Thairath:

"I picked up Mr Pilkington opposite Central Bangna Dept Store and was taking him to his house on Sukhumwit 85. Sometime into the journey around Sukhumwit Soi 68, with the meter reading 51 Baht, the traffic became very congested and Mr Pilkington began loudly complaining that I was trying to cheat him. He proceeded to get out of the taxi and walk off. I opened the passenger side window and asked him for the money and he responded by throwing a cup of coffee over me that he had been carrying. I snapped, took the sword from the boot and stabbed him to death before fleeing in my taxi."

Investigating officer Police Colonel Thawatkiat added a few more details (a lot of this must be supposition though since there were no witnesses other than the driver):

"Mr Pilkington had been in Thailand for 3 years and spoke Thai well. He lived in an apartment on Sukhumwit Soi 85 with his Thai gf.

The deceased thought the meter had been tampered with and was displaying the incorrect fare so got out the taxi. When he was challenged and asked to pay, he threw a cup of coffee over the driver, which drove him into a fury and the stabbing occurred. We have the checked the meter and it hasn't been tampered with. A fare of 51 Baht up to soi 68 is reasonable for that distance.

I believe Mr Pilkington had become irritable seeing the meter rise while stuck in the traffic and making no progress, which led to the tragic incident.

An investigation into Mr Choetchai's previous convictions revealed that he'd been arrested for possession of crystal methamphetamine 15 years ago in Chaiyapum province."

Here we go - by the end of the BIB investigation it will be the fault of the farang. The coffee is hardly a reason for the extreme violence that was used, and sadly I doubt that version of the story anyhow.

• Like 2

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story is now being run on CNN.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/08/world/asia/thailand-american-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Bangkok, Thailand (CNN) -- A taxi driver in Thailand has been charged with murder after allegedly stabbing an American with a machete during a fare dispute.

Police said they arrested Cherdchai Utamacha in Bangkok over the weekend, hours after closed-circuit television footage showed him attacking Troy Lee Pilkington, an American citizen who had lived in Thailand for three years.

Authorities allege that Cherdchai told police he was infuriated after Pilkington accused him of cheating and threw coffee in his face as the two argued over how much the American owed for a taxi ride.

The fare was 51 Thai baht (about $1.60), according to police, who interrogated the driver.

Security camera footage helped police track down the suspect quickly, Col. Thawatkiet Jindakuansanong said.

"When we traced the man to a house in Bangkok, we still saw blood stains on his shirt (and) shoes," he said.

Police said the driver smacked and stabbed Pilkington multiple times. They have not released a cause of death pending autopsy results.

This story is all over the world by now.

A friend just emailed me a link to a story in the #1 online newspaper in Israel, and the source is AP (one of the largest news agencies in the world).

Thanks, Jingthing.

The first thing that struck me about the article was that the American's name wasn't mentioned, a scanned copy of his passport, yes, but not named. Very strange reporting and not I'm not going to presume to why.

As Mr Pilkington is now obviously deceased, there's only one side to this story and that's the story of the alleged killer.

Whatever occurred, I'm sure he didn't deserve to die.

The name is Troy Lee Pilkington (or something similar), American, age 51.

This is from an AP news release.

Edited by soomak

Will he get a lesser sentence because of the coffee throwing story? I'm confident he'll be convicted of murder but not sure how the Thai justice system deals with so called motivations.

This taxi driver is not the sharpest pencil in the box. The coffee story could be easily proven or dis-proven by a forensic examination of his shirt which the police claim they have.

Shirt story number 1:

He took his shirt off and threw it in a canal and the police do not have it.

Shirt story number 2:

The police recovered the shirt from the canal as well as the knife

Shirt story number 3:

The bloody shirt was recovered at the home of the attacker

Edited by sbk
Completely inappropriate reference removed- dont' do it again

The coffee story doesn't really sound believable - but even if it is, it is no excuse for murder.It's almost as crap as "the dog ate it" for not doing homework. IMO only the death penalty is appropriate for the taxi driver.

However given the BIB ineptitude they could easily screw up this investigation - they really are a bunch of clowns.

It is an atrocious attack by a Thai. Many of us are highly embarassed, and we are very saddened. However, that is no reason to call all Thais, or taxi drivers for additional matter barbaric, machete wielding killers, as a result of one solitary bad incident.

Every country has its angered people, and emotionally uncontrolled people, in momentary out-bursts that end up with murder.

Please consider all other law abiding Thais, that many of you seem to want to gel into the same group as this disturbed man.

I hope for consolidation and, soon, closure for Mr. Pilkington's family; but please, stop writing dirt about Thais and Thailand as a generalisation.

Sunisa. sad.png

With all due respect: this "is" almost a daily occurrence in Thailand, and it will no doubt continue to be until there is true Thai outrage and shame about what is happening. Only Thais can change Thailand. As posted previously, the murder rate per capita in Thailand is 2X that of the "gun crazy" USA. One does not have a murder rate that is 2X unless it "is" happening every day. When you claim violence happens in other places too, you are in essence arguing that two wrongs make a right. How is that possible? Yes, violence happens elsewhere; and it is up to those people to be shamed and outraged enough to try to stop it. But it has nothing to do with what happens in Thailand. Two wrongs DON'T make a right; never have and never will.

Thailand deserves all the shame and bashing it receives for its racism, violence and corruption, and it should continue until the Thais themselves are so outraged and fed up that they do something about it. The same is true everywhere else in the world, too. Only when the majority of peaceful people will no longer accept it, does anything change..

RIP

What a total load of crap, atsiii. Were you just born yesterday? Do you know these murder stats in Thailand always include the south, which is in no way representative of the rest of Thailand? I personally hope that you run into a crazed taxi driver and decide to show him what a man you are. Then you will truly get what you deserve.

Edited by Berkshire

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

probably because more American and Russian tourist coming here now!! Not saying its ok to run around stabbing people with a sword. but used as an example Americans don't carry a lot of popularity around the world thanks to there foreign policies.... In general there are a lot more arrogant wealthy visitors to Thailand
So blame the Americans and their foreign policies. Wow, and did Obama change them ? or not.

So.......I guess no gratitude for saving the world in WWll ?? Darn...

"Thailand deserves all the shame and bashing it receives for its racism, violence and corruption, and it should continue until the Thais themselves are so outraged and fed up that they do something about it.".......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow ! If the average Thai person knew about the racist comments that are directed at them by some of the posters on this forum they would indeed be outraged. So much for rule number 8 - "Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais."

• Like 1

If the wife truly said:

... he was a family man, he didn't drink and was a fun person. The only thing he didn't like was people trying to cheat him which he wouldn't tolerate in any manner....

Then let something good come out of something bad.

For all you newbies who just don't know it, or the more foolish of veterans of LOS out of touch with reality, you will be cheated here, often for a mere 5 baht.

If you can't live with it, you should go home. Or you can stay here, be stubborn, and die with it. You're not gonna change it, and someday something like this will happen to you, too. Mr. Pilkington is not the first, and he is not the last.

There are plenty of us here who hate getting ripped. We walk away and live. We don't lose our tempers.

Me, it's one of many reasons I've had enough. I'm tired of walking away, but I know better than to do otherwise. Now I'm walking far away, for good.

The victim had no reason to get publicly angry over 51 baht. Especially since he knew Thailand well. Nor did he deserve to die.

The killer had no reason to kill over 51 baht, and now he deserves to die.

Things aren't always as black-and-white as the Black Team and the White Team claim.

Academically speaking, if the killer's account is true... It's no different than shooting someone who runs out of your gold shop or liquor store with the intent of robbing you. The amounts involved don't really matter apart from the shock value.

CNN

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/08/world/asia/thailand-american-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I don't think a westerner living in Bangkok three years is going to argue over a 51 Baht taxi ride.

Afterthought: I am all smiles with a 51 Baht taxi ride and always tip. There are a lot of good people driving taxis but it seems to me, that during the past year or so, the bad guys are starting to out number the good guys.

Edited by razer

Academically speaking, if the killer's account is true... It's no different than shooting someone who runs out of your gold shop or liquor store with the intent of robbing you. The amounts involved don't really matter apart from the shock value.

You can't use deadly force on a misdemeanor crime. I don't know Thai law, but I'm guessin' 51 baht would be in line with a misdemeanor.

As for felonies, there are many jurisdictions in the States where, no, you can not use deadly force even in a felony theft.

CNN

I don't think a westerner living in Bangkok three years is going to argue over a 51 Baht taxi ride.

I've walked away from "friends" who have been here eons, because they could not adapt.

How about that guy with the balloons on the BTS?

"Thailand deserves all the shame and bashing it receives for its racism, violence and corruption, and it should continue until the Thais themselves are so outraged and fed up that they do something about it.".......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow ! If the average Thai person knew about the racist comments that are directed at them by some of the posters on this forum they would indeed be outraged. So much for rule number 8 - "Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais."

Agree. And some who are truly sympathetic (like Ms. Sunisa) are no longer, because of the retarded venom being spewed on this thread. How utterly shameful it is to blame an entire country on this one guy. In the USA, we have murders practically every day. I doubt people are thinking all Americans are this way.

• Like 2

That's a good point. And I'll bet my left nut that if say, back in the USA or farangland, if some young black or foreign guy was to get shot robbing a convenience store, not one of the weasels on this site would be sympathetic. Double standard?

The victim had no reason to get publicly angry over 51 baht. Especially since he knew Thailand well. Nor did he deserve to die.

Things aren't always as black-and-white as the Black Team and the White Team claim.

Why does everyone assume that the 51 baht story is true?.. like it's indisputable gospel?

The cabbie had plenty of time to make up a story. For all we know the meter was displaying 150 baht or higher.

I really doubt that the victim would have gotten that upset over 51 baht... just 21 baht over flag-fall...,a guy who has been living and working in Thailand (Bangkok) for 3 years,.

We'll never know the truth. The only truth we can rely on is that whatever the cabbie states has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't assume anything. All I can do is go by what I read, filter out the obvious BS, and comment on the rest. Just like everyone else here, including yourself.

But his own wife (purportedly) stated he would not tolerate being cheated. She should know, don't you think?

51 baht or 150 baht or, hey, 1500 baht is irrelevant to the appropriate behavior of both parties.

Why does everyone assume that the 51 baht story is true?.. like it's indisputable gospel?

The cabbie had plenty of time to make up a story. For all we know the meter was displaying 150 baht or higher.

I really doubt that the victim would have gotten that upset over 51 baht... just 21 baht over flag-fall...,a guy who has been living and working in Thailand (Bangkok) for 3 years,.

We'll never know the truth. The only truth we can rely on is that whatever the cabbie states has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't assume anything. All I can do is go by what I read, filter out the obvious BS, and comment on the rest. Just like everyone else here, including yourself.

But his own wife (purportedly) stated he would not tolerate being cheated. She should know, don't you think?

51 baht or 150 baht or, hey, 1500 baht is irrelevant to the appropriate behavior of both parties.

Even if it was true no reason to kill him, but it seems real extreme not paying and throwing coffee on the driver. I would get pissed too but I would still not kill someone for it.

If this is true (to be honest i doubt it but it cant be proven) he should get some reduction in punishment but not walk free. Wonder if they checked the guy for yabaa.

Even if it was true no reason to kill him, but it seems real extreme not paying and throwing coffee on the driver. I would get pissed too but I would still not kill someone for it.

If this is true (to be honest i doubt it but it cant be proven) he should get some reduction in punishment but not walk free. Wonder if they checked the guy for yabaa.

Well, they reported recovering the shirt. Is there any trace of coffee on it? Did they report recovering the cup at the scene? Prints? DNA? Was there coffee on or in the cab?

Like Tropo said, we'll never know.

But something, no matter how small, prompted the driver to violence, which can be pretty small here.

That's a good point. And I'll bet my left nut that if say, back in the USA or farangland, if some young black or foreign guy was to get shot robbing a convenience store, not one of the weasels on this site would be sympathetic. Double standard?

No, it's not! The situation you describe above has no relevance to what happened to the American. No one with half a brain who's been in this country more than 5 minutes believes the taxi driver's story. Stop being a 'Berk'.

Well, they reported recovering the shirt. Is there any trace of coffee on it? Did they report recovering the cup at the scene? Prints? DNA? Was there coffee on or in the cab?

But something, no matter how small, prompted the driver to violence, which can be pretty small here.

The thing is I don't have much faith in cases like this where it is in the police its best interest to make it look like the foreigner was guilty (better image for Thailand).

So I doubt we will really never know like Tropo said. But yes cup at the scene and coffee on the shirt or cab. That would be something that could prove it if it was done by some serious police officers.

The one thing that strkes me I have seen on this forum is people continually stating that foreiners should be more tolerant and accept the vile behaviour of the Thai minority that act in this despicable manor, and to some extent even accept it, it is what it is......

WRONG, it doesn't matter how badly somone behaves (even when intoxicated, tolerance is a 2 way street) they don't deserve to loose their life over it (self defence or defence of yourself, your family or loved ones excepted), there are "civilised" ways of dealing with conflicting issues, either party can walk away. Shouting and gestating because you are angry and frustrated is a normal way of venting you feelings, going to the trunk of your car and getting a sword (or reaching for a gun) is not.

I seriously question what would have happened if this unfortunate man had disarmed the taxi driver and this turned out the other way...........

I am sure he was carrying the sword to use with his som tam for lunch, oh no it was for "self defence", thats why it was in the trunk.......

The same goes for "Farangs" too, there have been a few too many of those incidents lately as well, buying a knife at a 7/11, taking pot shots at someone that owes you money........

A sad endightment on the human race, but it should not be tolerated, full stop !!!

Shouting and gestating because you are angry and frustrated is a normal way of venting you feelings facepalm.gif

Maybe a psychotherapist could help with your "normal way of venting your feelings" wai.gif

And assulting somone with a sword is OK?

You have NEVER lost it and raised your voice...NEVER...Buddah

Even in writting do you raise easily your voice? : "NEVER" twice in capital letters LOLtongue.png

The problem is not if I did raised or not my voice, by the way I never ever said (or thought) assaulting with a sword was OK!

I simply do not believe as you do "shouting and gestating is a normal way of venting your feeling" I am not a Buddah but yes I learned to control myself not more, not sure you did already, but it is not too late.

Have a good day! wai.gif

PS: If you don't like the psychotherapist way, relaxation could help too thumbsup.gif

The thing is I don't have much faith in cases like this where it is in the police its best interest to make it look like the foreigner was guilty (better image for Thailand).

So I doubt we will really never know like Tropo said. But yes cup at the scene and coffee on the shirt or cab. That would be something that could prove it if it was done by some serious police officers.

You're right. Which raises the question, what's to stop one cop from making the evidence fit? Pour a bit of coffee on the shirt, print the cup from the victim, after the fact, all to make LOS come out just a shade better.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

But we could speculate all night.

Time for dinner and a read, though ....

It is upsetting enough, for all involved. However, to continue to dictate negativity about Thailand; Thais; and to generalise and mark down life here is, for me, more upsetting. This is not a daily occurance, and I have expressed Thai sympathy in this matter. I have tried to explain that Thailand will take this matter seriously, very much so. Yet there are still wanton negative remarks that flow. This event is not a normal daily event, especially against foreigners by taxi drivers in general. I am saddened by the continued detriment to my people and homeland.

I studied in England, and I saw as much unruly violence on a daily basis as here, if not worse. Knife carrying in the British youth is something that staggered me. Deaths my stabbing astounded me. Can't we agree to agree that this event is not particular to Bangkok?

Sunisa. sad.png

Your homeland is the UK. Give it up already.

My father is British. I am Thai, as I see myself. I grew up here, studied hard and understand my homeland. I don't know what your insinuation is, but I knew I would get this, for trying to attempt to give a Thai point of view in a Western forum. I knew I was unwelcome from the outset, and your post proves such as my thoughts hold.

Thank you for your inspiration to not venture further on this site.

Sunisa.

There are a number of things that point out that you are not a native Thai but rather a recent resident. You are registered here as a female from Pathumtani, you are clearly neither.

There is one thing you are NOT doing here and that is giving a Thai point of view. Rather, you are painfully trying to portray what you think is a Thai point of view but doing so with a very Western mindset. You are not culturally Thai. Most of the Thais that have worked for me in my 15 years here were educated overseas. They still remain very much Thai in the same way that you and I remain English, Americans remain American, the Dutch stay Dutch etc.

A few days ago, when you first appeared here, you came along trying to use a few Thai colloquialisms. The first one you tried out was " Baa - Khun ting tong na!". I'm not going to educate you about that one or on the "Alai na?" you used.

The stuff you have written in English is much more enlightening and gives away the fact you are about as Thai as a scotch egg. Of course, now you are claiming to be half-Thai because you know you can't really keep up the pretense of being Thai.

It'd be no different than you pretending to be a French or German woman on an expat forum out there. This would be apparent very quickly because of your misuse of local language and the grammatical tells that come from you growing up in England.

Note also that, as you full well know - a couple of days a go I pointed out that you are English, prior to you mentioning any connection with England. Now you are trying to keep things going by making out you are an expat kid.

Whatever gets you through the night, I guess...

What was the point of this post Inspector Clouseau? None of it matters, you are just "trying" to be clever when it is not warranted. I for one valued her opinion on this thread and I don't care if she has a British father, Thai mother. She is absolutely entitled to give a point of view from a Thai perspective, you have no idea of her circumstances and your amateur detective work is poor at best (grammatical tells!). Why don't you tell us where in the UK she was educated? The clues are there.

Sunisa made some good points and added some balance to this forum. It is such a tragic occurrence and I would like to think that MOST Thais are sickened by the events, hence i welcome her comments. However, after your potentially insulting thread along with some others it appears she has now gone which is a shame.

• Like 1

The one thing that strkes me I have seen on this forum is people continually stating that foreiners should be more tolerant and accept the vile behaviour of the Thai minority that act in this despicable manor, and to some extent even accept it, it is what it is......

WRONG, it doesn't matter how badly somone behaves (even when intoxicated, tolerance is a 2 way street) they don't deserve to loose their life over it (self defence or defence of yourself, your family or loved ones excepted), there are "civilised" ways of dealing with conflicting issues, either party can walk away. Shouting and gestating because you are angry and frustrated is a normal way of venting you feelings, going to the trunk of your car and getting a sword (or reaching for a gun) is not.

I seriously question what would have happened if this unfortunate man had disarmed the taxi driver and this turned out the other way...........

I am sure he was carrying the sword to use with his som tam for lunch, oh no it was for "self defence", thats why it was in the trunk.......

The same goes for "Farangs" too, there have been a few too many of those incidents lately as well, buying a knife at a 7/11, taking pot shots at someone that owes you money........

A sad endightment on the human race, but it should not be tolerated, full stop !!!

Shouting and gestating because you are angry and frustrated is a normal way of venting you feelings facepalm.gif

Maybe a psychotherapist could help with your "normal way of venting your feelings" wai.gif

And assulting somone with a sword is OK?

You have NEVER lost it and raised your voice...NEVER...Buddah

Even in writting do you raise easily your voice? : "NEVER" twice in capital letters LOLtongue.png

The problem is not if I did raised or not my voice, by the way I never ever said (or thought) assaulting with a sword was OK!

I simply do not believe as you do "shouting and gestating is a normal way of venting your feeling" I am not a Buddah but yes I learned to control myself not more, not sure you did already, but it is not too late.

Have a good day! wai.gif

PS: If you don't like the psychotherapist way, relaxation could help too thumbsup.gif

You have completely missed the point, please read it again. The point that is being made is that sometimes people get angry and shouting is a way of expressing anger. Most people never go any further then this and even though appear out of control they are in fact in control and would stop short of any stupid violence. In this case the driver can not control himself at all and completely lost track of reality by hacking to death someone who confronted him. it would have been better for the driver to have shouted back, waved their arms at each other and maybe even thrown a few choice words then walked away. No one would have died if it were not for the taxi drivers complete lack of control. Mr Pilkington did not reach for the nearest object and batter the driver to death, he was walking away annoyed, that's all, he controlled himself. Get it?

I disagree that the price is irrelevant in this case.

The cabbie claimed to have taken the victim a short distance only, therefore it was in his best interest to suggest the meter was reading a ridiculously small amount (and threw in the 1 baht to make it seem genuine), in order to make it seem like the victim was being extremely unreasonable - and threw in the coffee for good measure.

51 baht makes the cabbie seem like an honest bloke. 150 baht (for example) would make him a thief.

No one will ever be able to establish what was showing on the meter, but no one should believe the murderer.

Edited by tropo