Farang got Stabbed

ShopBoy

A few months ago I looked into the luggage compartment (boot) of a Bangkok taxi while retrieving my friends suitcase. Saw an Aluminum baseball bat. No other sports equipment, just the bat. Probably there to be used as a weapon I'd guess and hopefully for defense and not attack purposes.

Maybe the bus is safer after all.

Come to think of it, what use is a weapon in the boot of a taxi?In most cases, if the driver is attacked, he has to open his door, get out, go to the back of the car open the boot, then get the weapon. By that time the attacker is gone. It would seem to me that the weapon is in the boot in case the driver wants to attack someone, probably the passenger who complains about the fare etc.

• Like 1

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot Comment about what should happen, Tell me HAS there been an arrest and charge ? Becuse if not then I suggest serious action by the US government supported by other western governments

Don't want to get into an argument here but from what I've heard, the American threw some water or coffee over the driver after complaining how expensive the fair was.

With this in mind, do you really think any government would get involved? Sure the reaction was well and truly over board but some will say the 'farang' started the row and maybe he just got more than he bargained for.

It's one thing pissing and moaning about the fair, but throwing your drink in someone's face??? Many on this site would also resort to violence after that sort of provocation.

That's true, if the passenger really did throw his drink at the taxi driver.

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

Is Thailand really head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats? I find that very hard to believe, are you taking the population of countries and expats into this statistic? Although I believe Thais are amongst the biggest cowards (not them all), if you mind your own business, and stay sober, Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world.

" Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world. "

Agree !

The driver's story doesn't add up to me. I've take a taxi from Central Bangna to On Nut and the fare is usually around 60 baht. If the fare had reached 51 baht by Udomsuk, that is not far off from my expectation. So why would the passenger be so upset over this fare? He probably thought the meter was rigged (which happens), but the numbers don't add up to me.

AVOID CONFLICT with Thais at all costs

I agree and learned that from ... Thai (they also avoid conflict!). Some years ago I bought a pack of hair elastics, worth 15 bath. When I got home and opened the package it seemed all elastics were "rotten". I told my thai pal I was going to take them back to the store (typical farang reaction, i didn't care about the 15 bath but wanted to tell the seller his goods were decayed). My friend said not to do it, just accept it and buy new ones somewhere else. Live and learn.

ps. where I come from most sellers would expect a customer to come back and inform them since it's bad for the shop (owner might not even know the elastics have decayed). different country, different thinking/traditions.

Edited by stickylies

Please do not take the murderer's story of having coffee thrown at him at face value. His motivation at inventing a "justification" is obvious.

That is what eyewitnesses said.

But of course the eyewitnesses are most likely Thai - so you would not believe them anyway, right?

I saw plenty of farang behaving like the taxi driver describes this man. i believe him and the eyewitnesses.

• Like 1

Please do not take the murderer's story of having coffee thrown at him at face value. His motivation at inventing a "justification" is obvious.

But of course the eyewitnesses are most likely Thai - so you would not believe them anyway, right?

I saw plenty of farang behaving like the taxi driver describes this man. i believe him and the eyewitnesses.

Please cite your sources if you can. Thank you.

UPDATE:

American hacked to death over Bt51

Quoting eyewitnesses, police said both men had scuffled after Pilkington threw the coffee in his paper cup at Cherdchai through the passenger side door window. Cherdchai had been yelling at the man to pay up. The suspect told police later that he took the long knife from the boot and confronted the American, but the victim attacked first.

The passenger accused him of rigging the meter and got out. Cherdchai said he was enraged and grabbed the machete, only with the intent to threaten him.

I believe that version without much doubt.

machete man surely just wanted to scare this non fare paying farang. but after he continued to attacked him he finally used the weapon he had in in his hand. in the short video you can also see how machete man is still walking backwards and probably surprised by the farangs reaction to attack him.

i have seen some complete and utter <deleted> posted on this site, but this is up there with the best/worst ever !!

u believe the taxi drivers version without much doubt ??

who else (apart from the taxi driver) has said they saw this poor guy throw coffee at the driver ??

who else has said he attacked the taxi driver first ?

unless u have seen a diiferent video from me ... the American guy doesn't react until he is struck by the taxi driver !!

and even IF (and that's a big IF) he did throw coffee or water or whatever at the driver ... he still didn't deserve to die !!

• Like 2

UPDATE:

Quoting eyewitnesses, police said both men had scuffled after Pilkington threw the coffee in his paper cup at Cherdchai through the passenger side door window. Cherdchai had been yelling at the man to pay up. The suspect told police later that he took the long knife from the boot and confronted the American, but the victim attacked first.

The passenger accused him of rigging the meter and got out. Cherdchai said he was enraged and grabbed the machete, only with the intent to threaten him.

machete man surely just wanted to scare this non fare paying farang. but after he continued to attacked him he finally used the weapon he had in in his hand. in the short video you can also see how machete man is still walking backwards and probably surprised by the farangs reaction to attack him.

i have seen some complete and utter <deleted> posted on this site, but this is up there with the best/worst ever !!

who else (apart from the taxi driver) has said they saw this poor guy throw coffee at the driver ??

unless u have seen a diiferent video from me ... the American guy doesn't react until he is struck by the taxi driver !!

and even IF (and that's a big IF) he did throw coffee or water or whatever at the driver ... he still didn't deserve to die !!

One more thing. If you look at the video the passenger had a package in his right hand. So we are supossed to believe that he got out of the cab holding the package in one hand and a coffee cup full of coffee in the other hand. And how did he open the door to get out with his d..?

And another thing. If I am the driver and I don't get paid I either drive off or get out of the cab immediately. I think it seems clear the guy got out immediately which means the passenger could hardly have thrown coffee thru the front door passenger side of the cab and hit the driver with the coffee. This whole thing stinks.

Has the supossed cup been retrieved with his fingerprints on it? Of course that could be taken care of as well but any good forensic person could determine if his prints were placed there. Hopefully no police are reading this to get any ideas. Of course cold blooded murder is not the issue. Whether the passenger had a coffee cup is the real question. Right. And we bash the Thais why???

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

I got it from the newspaper. where you got your information from?

The one thing that strkes me I have seen on this forum is people continually stating that foreiners should be more tolerant and accept the vile behaviour of the Thai minority that act in this despicable manor, and to some extent even accept it, it is what it is......

WRONG, it doesn't matter how badly somone behaves (even when intoxicated, tolerance is a 2 way street) they don't deserve to loose their life over it (self defence or defence of yourself, your family or loved ones excepted), there are "civilised" ways of dealing with conflicting issues, either party can walk away. Shouting and gestating because you are angry and frustrated is a normal way of venting you feelings, going to the trunk of your car and getting a sword (or reaching for a gun) is not.

I seriously question what would have happened if this unfortunate man had disarmed the taxi driver and this turned out the other way...........

I am sure he was carrying the sword to use with his som tam for lunch, oh no it was for "self defence", thats why it was in the trunk.......

The same goes for "Farangs" too, there have been a few too many of those incidents lately as well, buying a knife at a 7/11, taking pot shots at someone that owes you money........

A sad endightment on the human race, but it should not be tolerated, full stop !!!

Shouting and gestating because you are angry and frustrated is a normal way of venting you feelings facepalm.gif

Maybe a psychotherapist could help with your "normal way of venting your feelings" wai.gif

To be fair for both parties, taxi driver was wrong for killing for just 51 Baht but you think he wants to go to jail for killing . He has to raise his family .

Thailand is the best taxis in the Asia, In Malaysia they have special button hidden under the driver seat and the fare like magic without the passanger knowledge.

I have been taking taxi many times same route with only 2-10 baht different, Thai people may be friendly but please don't provoked them.

In any nation learn to respect people and we will get same in return. Don't think farang are more superior. If you think taxi cheated you ask them to stop and pay fares then took a new one but for my 20 years here no such incident happen.

The taxis driver here very good and polite people.

Look at other Asean countries you will know Thailand still best and safetest country to lived in.

In Malaysia, I always establish the taxi fare before I get into the taxi. The very first day I was there, I was told to always talk to the driver and determine the fare beforehand. And ask somebody in the know (friend, hotel, etc.) how much the fare should be beforehand as well.

In Bangkok taxis have meters, so the fare depends on the traffic and the distance.

Not always. I live in Phutthamonthon and 75 percent of the time I need to pay a flat rate to get over here from the other side of the river. The drivers just don't want to come over here. And the later it gets (and the more bags you have with you) the more expensive. Even when I do get a metered taxi, I always tack on 50 to 80 baht extra, because I know the drivers have a hard time getting a fare to go back. And there are times when I've agreed to 350 to 500 baht as a flat rate and the driver still gets angry and mutters about all the time it's costing him. You want to keep these guys happy when you're loaded down with shopping and don't want to get kicked out of the cab on Borom.

A similar thing with Sukhumvit to Din Daeng in the wee hours of the morning by the scam taxis when they see you have a woman and are anxious to get home. Flat rate at double the meter rate - take it or leave it and no MRT/bus service. They might be able to justify it by not being to easily get a return fare, but the traffic is very light and not all taxis take the opportunity to gouge. I had one taxi driver raise the fare from an agreed-upon 150 to 200 after we got into the taxi. Had him stop immediately and we exited without any swordplay on his part.

In daytime, especially rush hour, they will typically just shake their heads and drive away (understandably, given the typical state of Rachadaphisek during rush).

Edited by MaxYakov

I'd like to get these 'eyewitnesses" in a room seperately and ask them a few questions. I would bet a months rent the stories don't jive.

UPDATE:

Tell me why should i not believe a Thai taxi driver or Thai eyewitnesses?

So........in any conflict with a Thai, fall to your knees, perform a deep wai, beg forgiveness for being a lowly farang, and hand over any amount of money the Thai wants ??? Ok no problem...

did I say that? u seem a bit of an overly emotional person.

In all these years i've been here i've had zero serious/remarkable conflicts with thai, never. But then again, I don't live in some farang infested hole. My life here is very relax and peaceful.

my credo: AVOID FARANG at all costs ;)

Edited by stickylies

UPDATE:

well because the Thai taxi driver has just xxxxxxx killed an unarmed man with a sword would lead me to treat anything he says with a tad of suspicion !!

and u can show anywhere, where ANY eyewitnesses have said they saw the American either throwing coffee at the taxi driver or attacking him first !!

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

UPDATE:

Because the guy just murdered someone in cold blood with a samurai sword. Not too bright are you?

• Like 2

The Nation states that the blade was 16 inches in length. This is inconsistent with the surveillance video readily available for viewing which clearly shows significantly longer blade than stated. Is the newspaper assisting in a 'coverup?" It certainly appears that emphasizing the length and then distorting the obvious size of the long, samurai length blade clearly appears to be manipulation so as to downgrade the level of severity from samurai sword to machete. Shameful inconsistent and manipulative reporting.

post-35489-0-81979400-1373271327.jpg

post-35489-0-81979400-1373271327_thumb.j

So........in any conflict with a Thai, fall to your knees, perform a deep wai, beg forgiveness for being a lowly farang, and hand over any amount of money the Thai wants ??? Ok no problem...

did I say that? u seem a bit of an overly emotional person.

In all these years i've been here i've had zero serious/remarkable conflicts with thai, never. But then again, I don't live in some farang infested hole. My life here is very relax and peaceful.

Hahaha not overly emotional at all..... :-) But I don't take shit in my home country, and I don't take it here either . The conflicts I have had here resolved themselves with me neither advancing in anger , or retreating in fear, but simply stating my position and holding my ground. Regarding the " farang infested hole" I currently live in , Pattaya, I rather enjoy living here. Has to beat the hell out of watching rice grow... :-) Wait a minute... If a bunch of farangs are an infestation, are you as a farang an infestation of one out in Nakon Nowhere ?? LOL

I agree and learned that from ... Thai (they also avoid conflict!). Some years ago I bought a pack of hair elastics, worth 15 bath. When I got home and opened the package it seemed all elastics were "rotten". I told my thai pal I was going to take them back to the store (typical farang reaction, i didn't care about the 15 bath but wanted to tell the seller his goods were decayed). My friend said not to do it, just accept it and buy new ones somewhere else. Live and learn.

I don't know if you were quoting me or not, but I did state: "avoid confrontations at all costs" in an earlier reply. Conflicts will always occur, but they don't have to be escalated to confrontations.

IMHO, the victim had three choices when confronted by the taxi driver wielding a sword: 1) Start reaching for cash 2) Try a running escape 3) Do what he did. I probably would have been reaching for my cash and considered it a learning experience and either extortion at swordpoint or an armed robbery.

Edited by MaxYakov

UPDATE:

Because the guy just killed someone in cold blood. Even here he needs some kind of bs story. The best he can do is the guy threw coffee at him?

This murder news story has resonance.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coverage goes global.

If the coffee had caffeine in it ... you must acquit!

Copy and paste the headline and post it on Facebook if you have it. That is global in a heartbeat.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

well because the Thai taxi driver has just xxxxxxx killed an unarmed man with a sword would lead me to treat anything he says with a tad of suspicion !!

and u can show anywhere, where ANY eyewitnesses have said they saw the American either throwing coffee at the taxi driver or attacking him first !!

It is in the newspaper article i was quoting. eyewitnesses said that, according to the police.

I don't know if you were quoting me or not, but I did state: avoid confrontation at all costs.

I was being a bit theatrical to make a point . Each conflict should be judged by itself. So if you are in a bar, and get overcharged 20 baht, smile , walk away, and not go there again. If you are in a taxi, and he demands 1000 baht for a 100 baht ride, time to move into confrontation mode. So the conclusion is simple. Do not make everything a conflict to be settled physically, and do not be a walking marshmallow who hands money over to anybody who asks for it. In this particular case, he should have handed over the 51 baht and called it a day. That is what I would have done...

• Like 1