Four detainees die in blaze at Nonthaburi police station

webfact

FIRE
Four detainees die in blaze at Nonthaburi police station

The Nation

30209921-02_big.jpg

NONTHABURI: -- Four cellmates jailed for a range of minor offences died yesterday when a police station in Nonthaburi went up in flames and a guard fled with them still locked up.

The four men were killed in a fire at Sai Noi station, believed to have been caused by an electrical short circuit.

The fire at 4am yesterday spread quickly after files in a storeroom caught alight. The four detainees, on the first floor, are thought to have died from smoke inhalation.

They were: Jerd Songpoo, allegedly found in illegal possession of guns; Wasant Sornsil, charged with driving under the influence; Wisut Kongyuen, charged with possession of an illicit drug; and Najirapong Wonganan, charged with using a prohibited drug.

Pol Capt Somrak Yensabai said he heard a blast from the room next to the detention room. He then saw the raging fire and burnt his hands. He said he could not breathe, so he dashed out of the station to get help.

Families of the victims came to the police station to curse officers for failing to rescue the suspects. They screamed hysterically while collecting the bodies, and one tried to punch a police officer.

Governor Wichien Phutthiwinyu and Pol Lt Maj Naret Nanthachot, commissioner of Provincial Police Region 1, calmed them down by promising to investigate further and offering assistance to the next of kin.

Naret said if police were found negligent, they would be subject to disciplinary action.

The station gave each family Bt50,000 as initial compensation.

Naret said the families were more understanding when he explained that the officer on duty had tried to help but he could not find the key as the lights had gone off. The officer was also injured in the blaze. Police on the second floor could not help and got hurt jumping out the window to escape.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-08

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naret said if police were found negligent, they would be subject to disciplinary action.

by the fact that they have already handed out compensation doesn't this already infer that the police have admitted negligence ?

• Like 2

He couldn't find the keys as the lights went out?

God, I really, really hope, I do not get drunk one day and end up in one of the places, for doing something stupid like driving drunk.

RIP

• Like 2

That is only 10 or less km fom where i live.. amazing Thailand. One would say it would not be to hard to unlock the jail before running off. But he probably worried they would escape.

My prediction nobody will be prosecuted for this. Thailand land of cover-ups and corruption.

I still love this country but this is one of the parts i hate.

• Like 2

by the fact that they have already handed out compensation doesn't this already infer that the police have admitted negligence ?

Couple hundred thousand laying around in petty cash,, glad it escaped the fire.

• Like 2

Reminds me of a mate who was watching a movie one night at Emporium when it first opened. Part way through, the movie stopped and they were left in the darkness. No announcement, no word from the staff. After 10 minutes my mate walked out of the cinema, found the whole area entirely vacant so made his way downstairs via the carpark. He found the staff from the cinema downstairs, as they had all escaped as there was a fire warning.

My mate was understandably upset

Pretty harsh criticisms on an issue with little facts.

Why so quick to judge?blink.png

Maybe because those inmates were left in the care of the police with no means of escape and waiting for their death as the police officer escaped. Might be the standard of building and such but the fact that they died in such a horrible way makes for harsh remarks.

• Like 2

first of all - how many of you would be hero's have actually been in a fire situation in a building ?

Most fires smoke is what kills and it kills fast, from the pictures this fire looked pretty serious, I don't know if these guys could have been saved or not and I don't know if the officer could have made a more effective attempt to save them, in the dark (pitch black) can't breath - I challenge anyone here to do better

I've been in a situation like this and was driven back by smoke and heat - as it happens nobody died but could easily have happened - they jumped out of an upstairs bedroom window

We all know about building standards here and regulations, unfortunately they are not to the same standards as the west, should we blame the officers who attempted to save them - I think not

...and that is why we should not be outraged?

Because we know, the security measures suck?

According my earlier comment, they died because the lights went out and the guarding officer couldn't find the key in the dark (at least, it says so in the OP).

Do you know, what could have prevented that?

1) a flashlight, available at any 7eleven for 65 Baht and 2 batteries!

2) giving a sh1t!

Edited by DocN
  • Like 2

He couldn't find the keys as the lights went out?

God, I really, really hope, I do not get drunk one day and end up in one of the places, for doing something stupid like driving drunk.

RIP

It's the easiest thing in the world, don't drink alcohol if you are going to drive. Simples.

• Like 1

Of course they do, but do they care "no". they will now have a few days of speed traps to collect fines to cover this cost - thus no accountability whatsoever

• Like 2

Pretty harsh criticisms on an issue with little facts.

Why so quick to judge?blink.png

Maybe because those inmates were left in the care of the police with no means of escape and waiting for their death as the police officer escaped. Might be the standard of building and such but the fact that they died in such a horrible way makes for harsh remarks.

Must be nice to know so much and with so much clarity.

How is the weather up in the clouds? Its raining down here.

• Like 1

that will depend on whether they gave them the money with a no admittance to liability clause, as a gesture of good will, compassion etc