Four detainees die in blaze at Nonthaburi police station

webfact

50k baht for a life... I can only shake my head.

son for a new honda wave. amazing isn't it.... well I'll pencil this down and if I ever accidentally kill someone and get asked for compensation I'll write 'em a check for 50 large and say that's the going rate...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai police runner leaving the four to die and the newspaper "excusing it away" by stating that he was injured "also." What a sham coverup of negligence.

Obviously a little early for you, but the newspaper is only reporting what the reporter was told. You imply that somehow the paper is involved in a cover up of the truth. "excusing it away" if anyone is doing that surely it is the BiB not the newspaper?

Blame this blame that !! however, upermost it is the system that is at fault. Little or no supervision during construction, poor building codes, poor electrical codes poor safety standards, No emergency lighling. no emergency evacuation proceedure or training. No Fire Safety Code Basicaly no anything and as such tragedies like this will happen. Much more can be gained by laying this at the feet of those responsible for the whole conception rather than those who had to deal with an accident waiting to happen.

It will be easy to state that the root cause of this is due to the corruption that exists in all aspects of Thai life, however , that would be wrong as corruption is meerly one of the effects of a dysfunctional culture. It is not the cause. . Attitude and culture are closer to the root cause of the majority of the maladies that beset this country.

In reality there is little to be proud of within "Thai Culture"

• Like 1

The station gave each family Bt50,000 as initial compensation. "to shut them up"

If you are ever in a situation like this in Thailand DONT accept the initial payment as it can harm you case when you sue them in a court of law.

Blame this blame that !! however, upermost it is the system that is at fault. Little or no supervision during construction, poor building codes, poor electrical codes poor safety standards, No emergency lighling. no emergency evacuation proceedure or training. No Fire Safety Code Basicaly no anything and as such tragedies like this will happen. Much more can be gained by laying this at the feet of those responsible for the whole conception rather than those who had to deal with an accident waiting to happen.

It will be easy to state that the root cause of this is due to the corruption that exists in all aspects of Thai life, however , that would be wrong as corruption is meerly one of the effects of a dysfunctional culture. It is not the cause. . Attitude and culture are closer to the root cause of the majority of the maladies that beset this country.

Very well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bath 50,000 initial compensation for the relative to stock up more yaaba, buy bigger gun, those parished is disease to comunity this serve them right....

Yes because drug uses deserve the death penalty.. god it is true that only the dumbest foreigners come to Thailand.. I just found confirmation.

I've read some stupid comments on this forum, but I think Farangdam is a clear winner.

Definitely! Must be a troll.

So, for want a of a flashlight and a fire extinguisher four people in the control of the government are dead. That's culpable manslaughter in my book.

Unfortunately, no one here is reading your book.

I am just wondering if the 50,000 baht compensation comes from the teamoney fund, in which case the money extorted from the community finds its way back to the community, or the compensation money will be earmarked as miscellaneous expenses and reimbursed from taxpayer money at a later date (plus interest).

The Thai police runner leaving the four to die and the newspaper "excusing it away" by stating that he was injured "also." What a sham coverup of negligence.

You have inside knowledge or just like to take any chance you get at Thai bashing. Or is it just the BIB you think are all dishonest and not caring?

My condolences to the families.

So much for emergency lighting and basic fire safety.

I doubt the police will want to work in that station any longer as the ghosts from the incinerated victims will be there forever asking why they were left to die horrible painful grisly deaths...........................

Welcome to Thailand stick around and you will see many things different than your home country.

I doubt the police will want to work in that station any longer as the ghosts from the incinerated victims will be there forever asking why they were left to die horrible painful grisly deaths...........

I see you are starting to learn a few things already. Yes the Thais are superstitious.

asking why they were left to die horrible painful grisly deaths.

Maybe there was no way to help them.

Why people are so eager to assume the worst is beyond me. Mind you I am eager to assume the worst of the present government. So far they have not disappointed me.

Naret said if police were found negligent, they would be subject to disciplinary action.

The station gave each family Bt50,000 as initial compensation.

by the fact that they have already handed out compensation doesn't this already infer that the police have admitted negligence ?

that will depend on whether they gave them the money with a no admittance to liability clause, as a gesture of good will, compassion etc

I don't think it matters it is the law.

Remember the red shirt bomb maker who wasn't to good at it and blew himself up. They paid compensation to his family.

The 50,000 was an initial payment maybe it came out of a slush fund that didn't burn up maybe it didn't the point is it helped the families right now to take care of the bodies.

It was the decent thing to do. Better than waiting for the government.

"jailed for a range of minor offences" -

Illegal possession of a firearm, Drink driving and possession of drugs.

These are normally serious offences and (certainly in the UK) could all result in long prison sentences (> 5 years).

This may go towards explaining the amount of deaths by gun crime, deaths by drink driving and death by drugs seen in the country.

However, these poor sods did not deserve to die and one can only hope that fire safety in public buildings gets on some politician's agenda.

• Like 1

Blame it on the Government they paid out good money to have many police stations remodeled or torn down and rebuilt. To date zilch.

I doubt the police will want to work in that station any longer as the ghosts from the incinerated victims will be there forever asking why they were left to die horrible painful grisly deaths...........................

Welcome to Thailand stick around and you will see many things different than your home country.

I doubt the police will want to work in that station any longer as the ghosts from the incinerated victims will be there forever asking why they were left to die horrible painful grisly deaths...........

I see you are starting to learn a few things already. Yes the Thais are superstitious.

Why people are so eager to assume the worst is beyond me. Mind you I am eager to assume the worst of the present government. So far they have not disappointed me.

So where do you think our super hero ran to for help. The Keystone Cops?

jb1

The guard was probably more drunk or drugged than the poor victims.

Maybe the betting parlor was the cause of the blaze? I do not trust the BIB or their stories.

PLEASE? Help me out here would someone? W T F does BIB stand for?

Boys in Brown whistling.gifcheesy.gif

Agree with Smedly on this one, have been in similar situation, people all react differently and conditions on the ground are always different,

better to be an living person than a dead hero!

RIP to the poor souls lost, feel for their families.

So where do you think our super hero ran to for help. The Keystone Cops?

jb1

The article dosen't say. You and I know exactly zip. He could have collapsed after getting out of the building.

Many Western Australian lockups are unmanned as the officers continue their standard patrol duties while prisoners are locked up. Not very safe either.

I do sincerely HOPE that at least SOMEONE would take HEED of this so very SAD incident, that'll now be someone in service of correctional services. DETAINEES has absolutely NO way of escaping mishaps like these.

Pretty harsh criticisms on an issue with little facts.

Why so quick to judge?blink.png

Quick to JUDGE? How MUCH, in your BOOKS, is only 1 HUMAN life worth? (Never mind the utter SUFFERING associated with these FOUR HUMAN deaths?). Shit, I don't know anymore.

I know drowning is one of the most horrible ways to die. I don't think there is much suffering with smoke inhalation.