Yingluck rejects Yuthasak's offer to step down

webfact

POLITICS
PM rejects Yuthasak's offer to step down

The Nation

Defence aide fears 'Thaksin' audio clips tarnish ties with brass; govt says tapes doctored

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has rejected Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha's offer to resign in the wake of the posting of online audio clips of a purported conversation in which Yuthasak appears to discuss national affairs with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, sources said yesterday.

"Yingluck asked Yuthasak to go on assisting her as her deputy," a Government House source said.

Yingluck also holds the De-fence portfolio.

The government has cast doubt on the authenticity of the clips.

On Saturday, "Thai patriot" posted on YouTube four audio clips of two men who sound like Yuthasak and Thaksin talking about the political and military situations in Thailand, including in the deep South, as well as the upcoming military reshuffle and a plan to help the fugitive Thaksin return to his homeland.

The sources said Yingluck told Yuthasak not to be concerned about what was not true. He should disregard campaigns by military officers to discredit him, as they were disgruntled about being skipped over for promotion, the PM reportedly said.

A source close to Yuthasak said the retired general told his aides that he would like to give up his new post because the controversy would cause him to lose the respect and trust of military brass.

Yuthasak also called Supreme Commander Thanasak Patimakorn and Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha and the two told him that they understood him, that he should not worry, and that they promised to cooperate with him in his work, the source said.

Yuthasak had consulted with his staff and decided to hold a press conference at the Defence Ministry today about the scandal, the source said.

Deputy Army spokesman Colonel Winthai Suwaree said the issue was only mentioned in online social networks and had not been verified, so it should not be linked to the Army.

The Army would stay out of civilian politics and focus on its responsibilities in the southernmost provinces, border security, drug suppression, natural resources, migrant workers and assistance for the people, he said.

Prompong Nopparit, spokesman for the ruling Pheu Thai Party, said the party was investigating the clips and found that they had been doctored by anti-government elements.

The voices in the clips were not those of Thaksin and Yuthasak and could have been faked by anybody, he said.

AUDIO CLIP

Democrat MP Suthep Thaug-suban called on Yingluck to examine whether the clips were authentic, as their contents could destabilise the country.

If the government later carries out actions discussed in the recordings, the people should oppose them, he said.

"From what I heard in the clips, it was very ugly," he said.

"For example, there was a proposal to issue an executive decree granting a pardon without passing a bill … I believe if the government issues an executive decree for the sake of someone, the entire country will rise up."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-08

Serious stuff! This clip needs to be professionally verified to authenticate that it is Thaksin's and Yuthasak's voice.

The only credible verification would have to be done by an independent lab and nothing is independent in Thailand.

I can't see it being examined outside the country especially if there's any truth to it.

If anyone wants to see it, the numbers will be listed in his phone bill. International call and all that.

Serious stuff! This clip needs to be professionally verified to authenticate that it is Thaksin's and Yuthasak's voice.

The only credible verification would have to be done by an independent lab and nothing is independent in Thailand.

I can't see it being examined outside the country especially if there's any truth to it.

If anyone wants to see it, the numbers will be listed in his phone bill. International call and all that.

Would that be the phone records that will never be found ?

If this isn't proof enough that Thaksin, as a convicted felon, is meddling in Thai government affairs, then I don't know what else would.

TRT was disbanded for less. Why hasn't action been initiated to start the disbandment of Pheu Thai?

Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

If this isn't proof enough that Thaksin, as a convicted felon, is meddling in Thai government affairs, then I don't know what else would.

TRT was disbanded for less. Why hasn't action been initiated to start the disbandment of Pheu Thai?

Amazing Thailand.

My thoughts on this are the masses need to be educated as to who they voted for and to truly see them for what they are. Whilst it is being said that the penny is dropping I feel that it must be allowed to hit the floor otherwise the whole thing will go full circle and begin again with the same people being re-elected.

• Like 2

I don't think this is by phone. It actually sounds like it was recorded by the Deputy Defense guy or someone standing next to him. Thaksins voice is a bit muffled at times. Sounds real enough.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

Amazing Thailand.

This time around, the opposition will probably make sure that they have enough rope to hang themsleves, without the need for protests, speculation, etc. Don't think it's going to take too much longer for that to happen.

Why should he resign? Most of the cabinet went to Hong Kong to be instructed by their leader. None of them offered. Everyone knows who runs the country.

I guess the sinister bit here is the talk of issuing an executive decree to pardon the leader of all crimes and allegations so he can return and take the helm. Explains putting the puppet into the DM role. He must be hoping little sis and this guy can control and influence enough senior military officers not to oppose the executive decree. He must think they already have enough in their pocket to take a gamble like this. Or maybe he's getting desperate with all the scams and lies being found out now.

Right on. Thaksin knows this is probably his last and only push to come home a free man before the government collapses from all the mismanagement and fraud. Oh how I bet he would love to have a grand homecoming for his July 26 birthday.