Schneider Main Panel

Ticketmaster

When I was setting up my electric, I really wanted 3 phase, but it was unavailable out here in the village. My plan has a lot of circuit breakers. I opted for putting most appliances each on its own dedicated circuit, water heaters ditto, have a wood shop, have circuits for future outdoor lighting and power, etc. Bottom line, I needed a lot of slots in the main panel. I trotted down to the electric shop and found the perfect 100 amp panel with 36 slots. Imagine my chagrin when I learned it was 3 phase only.

After looking all over, I could find NOTHING even close in a single phase consumer unit of any brand. I was pretty frustrated. Then one day when browsing the Schneider catalogue, I stumbled across Schneider part no. QO3-CON1PH, which converts the Schneider commercial three phase panel (100 amp only) to single phase. When I strode into the electric shop to to order the panel and the part, I was told there was no such conversion part. I explained that it changed the 3 phase panel to single phase. I was told it couldn't be done. I pulled out my catalogue and showed the owner and she was quite taken aback, saying she had never heard of such a thing. She ordered it for me and I installed it into my new Schneider 36 slot main right in her shop with a group of Thai electricians standing in a circle watching the crazy farang.

It is a very nifty part. I though some of you at there facing my dilemma might want to know.

Edited by Crossy

Have had the same dilemma, and like others here just installed 2x 14 breaker single phase load centers, with a nice beefy buss-bar on the incoming lines.

Edited by IMHO

Have had the same dilemma, and like others here just installed 2x 14 breaker single phase load centers, with a nice beefy buss-bar on the incoming lines.

That's what I was going to do before I discovered that part. But each of those panels require a main breaker and if I wanted a single main as well for everything, I would have ended up with a small main breaker only box and the two sub-mains -- three main breakers (one main and two sub-mains) instead of one. I just hated that idea.

With that conversion part, I was able to run my 50mm buried NYY cable in from the pole to a main switch, then into the single main breaker in the big panel. I have a sub-main panel in the wood shop run from a breaker in the house main panel. I also have a few extra slots for any future expansion that may arise.

That's what I was going to do before I discovered that part. But each of those panels require a main breaker and if I wanted a single main as well for everything, I would have ended up with a small main breaker only box and the two sub-mains -- three main breakers (one main and two sub-mains) instead of one. I just hated that idea.

With that conversion part, I was able to run my 50mm buried NYY cable in from the pole to a main switch, then into the single main breaker in the big panel. I have a sub-main panel in the wood shop run from a breaker in the house main panel. I also have a few extra slots for any future expansion that may arise.

Cool part, no doubt. I didn't search too much for other options though as dual load centers gives the ability to have a genset that only runs one of them during an outage, allowing me to select what's genny powered and what's not - and meaning I could get away with a smaller/cheaper 12KVA genset that powers just the essentials ;)