When you're UNDERCHARGED in a restaurant, do you correct it?

As I eat out a lot, this happens more often than some might think ... getting UNDERCHARGED.

Yes, getting overcharged is more common but this is about when you're undercharged at a restaurant in Thailand.

It happened to me again last night.

I "complained" about the bill, well the staff assumed I was complaining because why else would you question a bill.

It seemed to really shock the staff that I was insisting they put ON an item they forgot to charge me for.

I reckon they thought I was totally bonkers and perhaps they're right.

Well this was a place I am fairly regular at and I didn't feel right about getting a freebie there unless they explicitly say, this is a special freebie for you, going back there and being remembered as someone who underpaid before.

But I do that in any restaurant here ... insist on paying for all I should be charged for.

Perhaps that is "very white" of me but conditioning dies hard.

So how do you react when you're UNDERCHARGED in restaurants in Thailand? Do you just let it go?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It just feels like stealing to me to not insist on paying for all that was ordered.

Thinking about this a bit more, I do tend to mostly eat at places I have a personal connection to, sometimes places run by one family.

If it happened at a big corporate place like SIZZLER, now I'm thinking maybe I wouldn't bother noting an undercharge at a place like that.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

It just feels like stealing to me to not insist on paying for all that was ordered.

Thinking about this a bit more, I do tend to mostly eat at places I have a personal connection to, sometimes places run by one family.

If it happened at a big corporate place like SIZZLER, now I'm thinking maybe I wouldn't bother noting an undercharge at a place like that.

So by your own definition, it's Ok to steal from a corporate?

• Like 2

If the shoe fits. The irony is I don't recall ever being undercharged at a place like Sizzler!

More precisely if a place like Sizzler ever undercharged me I think it would feel more like a lucky break from an impersonal entity than stealing. Not suggesting this is rational as it's clearly more about my bias against big corporate concerns and a bias towards smaller businesses.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If the shoe fits. The irony is I don't recall ever being undercharged at a place like Sizzler!

More precisely if a place like Sizzler ever undercharged me I think it would be feel more like a lucky break than stealing. Not suggesting this is rational as it's clearly more about my bias against big corporate concerns and a bias towards smaller businesses.

Jing - the actual irony is that the moral view in your OP is suddenly reversed if you don't have any affiliations to the entity/person that is undercharging. I would have thought that the moral would have applied regardless of who the entity was, or indeed, how significant or insignificant the undercharge was. Just saying......coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I don't know if it really about morality. Like I said before, I think it is more about conditioning. I already said the staff last night seemed to think I was crazy for insisting they charge me more, and they might be right.

I don't know if it really about morality. Like I said before, I think it is more about conditioning. I already said the staff last night seemed to think I was crazy for insisting they charge me more, and they might be right.

It's a Thai thing. You tell the serving staff they made a mistake, the serving staff have to tell the cashier (maybe the BOSS), that they in turn made a mistake. Or more likely the serving staff have to tell the boss that they themselves forgot to add an item to the bin. Loss of face all around - much better to keep quiet initially.

It's happened to me several times. I tell the service staff they undercharged but AFTER they bring back the original change - then I leave a tip and sufficient to cover the missing item/s. That way they have time to consider how to address the issue at the restaurant. I've done my bit, it's up to them to sort out how they deal with the face issue.

• Like 1

I make a point to correct whether under or overcharged.... One place first time I ate there they overcharged me and then the next time undercharged,... I would not feel right if I did otherwise... Same w finding money in checkout line at grocery... I turn it in...

I make a point to correct whether under or overcharged.... One place first time I ate there they overcharged me and then the next time undercharged,... I would not feel right if I did otherwise... Same w finding money in checkout line at grocery... I turn it in...

Question - Does that same rule apply regardless if the undercharger is a small business or a corporate business, and irrespective of the amount?

I get all that and I would never play that game of trying to save the face of the workers there. I would assume most waiters would just take the super big tip, not going there. If that makes me a "bad expat" so be it. I point out the undercharge and get the check corrected, and then pay it. I'll probably continue to do that.

The real point was that you yourself gain face with the serving staff, but don't take their face away by insisting they resolve the issue immediately.

I get all that and I would never play that game of trying to save the face of the workers there. I would assume most waiters would just take the super big tip, not going there. If that makes me a "bad expat" so be it. I point out the undercharge and get the check corrected, and then pay it. I'll probably continue to do that.

The real point was that you yourself gain face with the serving staff, but don't take their face away by insisting they resolve the issue immediately.

I get it. Kudos for you for caring so much about their face. You haven't converted me to your ways. I don't insist on paying the correct bill because of their face thing. That's their schtick, its not interesting to me. I do because I don't want to feel like I have stolen from the place.

Not trying to convert you to my ways. I just think that when playing in a foreign sandpit, the local playground rules apply.

And unrelated to your OP, it seems that so many foreigners get in trouble here because of either a) not knowing enough about the culture, including "face", or b ) knowing about such things but taking actions that fly in the face of "face" (pun intended).

Half the problems that Falang raise on TV in the way of issues or questions for help is because of a) or b )above.

Edited by Gsxrnz

Iam happy to pay my way and not a cent more (hence no tip's) and if I notice that I have been under charged Iam happy to point this out and pay the corrected amount, after all if the till is short the staff will have to pay.

• Like 1

I probably should have done a poll about this. I reckon most people would not bother to correct undercharges ... but that doesn't mean they'll post about it here ...

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If they undercharge me i tell them just the same as overcharging. Has happened to me a few times that they handed me back too much money at market stalls. I explain the mistake and they are quite surprised i mention it.

I treat others the way i like to be treated.

Yep same here.

I've been given too much change by a shop girl or cashier somewhere and I hand it back. It can take a bit of effort to make them realise I'm not complaining about being shortchanged.

I hear some employers have a three strike rule on till discrepancies. Anything more than 5 baht X 3 and you're out.

Of course I always speak up in this case, ditto if given to much change at a store. Obvious thing to do IMO. If you are aware you were undercharged and say nothing, you are knowingly taken what is not rightfully yours aka stealing. That a waiter or shop made it easy for you by an error on their part doesn't change that fact IMO.

Another reason besides not wanting to take what isn't due me is that the waiter or salesperson may later end up in trouble or having to pay out of pocket to make up the difference, so simple consideration for others dictates that you help avert this. Definitely likely to happen in a shop as the register tally will come up short at the end of the day; may or may not happen with an omitted item on a restaurant bill depending on the internal controls in place at the restaurant.

I would add that more times than I can count, I have mistakenly paid too much for something at the local market and had the seller inform me and return the excess amount. Usually happens in the crowd and confusion of a fresh market but also occasionally in a store. So Thais are not strangers to the concept.

I got about 20 paces outside of the local 7-11 one night and heard somebody yelling something. I turned around and the poor clerk was running toward me. He'd shorted my change by 2 baht and wanted to make sure I got it. Good grief.

I probably should have done a poll about this. I reckon most people would not bother to correct undercharges ... but that doesn't mean they'll post about it here ...

So you only posted this to stand out as better than the rest. When the posters, that posted on the topic actually proved to be more honest, than you expected, you are claiming the silent majority would have served your purpose better.

Your brothers in Knesset would be proud !

So you only posted this to stand out as better than the rest. When the posters, that posted on the topic actually proved to be more honest, than you expected, you are claiming the silent majority would have served your purpose better.

Your brothers in Knesset would be proud !

This topic has nothing to do with Israeli politics, dude. w00t.gif

• Like 1

I don't wish to embarrass anyone when they charge me different prices for the same food on different occasions. Some days the food tastes better than on other days. Maybe some of the waitresses like me better than others. Many of the dishes don't have a written price. So whatever they charge me, I just pay.

But I never eat glop from Fast Food Joints with their fixed prices.

I always eat Thai food in restaurants frequented mostly by Thai people and these places don't use English language menus.

If one of the girls mistakenly gave me an extra 100 or 500, then I would let her know of course. But that has never happened.

These girls are too cute and work too hard to underpay.

• Like 1