Is 24-hour construction allowed in Thailand?

Asiantravel

I'm just interested to know if it is usual practice in Thailand to impose time restrictions on the operation of construction sites when they are situated in the middle of residential areas?

A new construction site which adjoins where I stay is still only at basement level but they have settled into aroutine of assembling the form work during the daytime and pouring concrete through the night. Last night I woke up at 3:30 AM by all the noise. I don't think I can put up with this for the period of the construction.sad.png

I seem to remember a similar problem happened sometime ago in Jomtien ?

Would I be able to determine if there are restrictions on working through the night but these people are ignoring them?

My wife phoned the town hall helpline to complain when builders were working very late near us ,they came around two days later and told them to finish earlier ,they did ,she then got a call telling her what had been done .

• Like 1

The noise abatement rules seem to be that between the hours of 2am and 6am you can officially complain.

But to whom and what might be done are something else.

Incorrect, the hours are midnight to 7 am, and if one is bothered, he/she needs to contact city hall and that site will be shut down during the off hours.

Have called and they came out within an hour,(in my case it was party) but i assume no different to construction

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

When i first came here 12 Years ago, I had the builders in my house, the Thai woman next-door brought a policeman round and he told me she works nights, and i had to inform my builders not to start work until 1pm everyday.

And they had to finish at a reasonable hour after dark.

Not your favourite near neighbour then? A bit stroppy getting a cop to tell you about her perilous sleeping abilities and shitty work hours IMHO.

Edited by NanLaew

When i first came here 12 Years ago, I had the builders in my house, the Thai woman next-door brought a policeman round and he told me she works nights, and i had to inform my builders not to start work until 1pm everyday.

Note that the nationalities are reversed here compared to the OP. In Thailand making noise is not just a right, it's practically an obligation.

I always say - as a farang married to a sweet Thai lady since 25 years - that there are many things in this country which are unacceptable but that Thailand is still the best country of all the countries between Istanbul and Tokyo to be retired.

There is only ONE thing I cannot accept ...but I have live with it....i.e. NOISE is not considered as a very irritant pollution.

It can come from construction sites or from disco's in the neighbourhood ....most of the Thai people do not understand that NOISE between certain hours of the night is not acceptable.

• Like 2

For sure there are "laws" on noise, but as with any other law.....they are ignored big time.

As long as nobody complains, construction may take place 24/7.

AFAIK there are plenty of condominium-complexes where drilling or making any other noise isn't allowed between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m.

A Thai will not easily complain, regarding a possible loss of face and that's something that constructors use for their benefit.

BTW........guests who are staying in the Bella Villa Hotel along Pattaya Klaang near Pattaya Memorial Hospital.......enjoy your stay there.

lucky your neighbour to the other side, who worked normal daytime hours, did not also bring her cop cousin around to intimidate you :-)

We live 2 miles from the Temple but are still awoken most mornings at 4 am...not just by the chanting....but also the phone ringing in the back ground...why on earth anyone calls at that hour...

I had the cops come here for noise from training (i now believe it was the bass from the sound system) This was around 8pm and not that loud. So I told this to the police (who did not want to be here). So the police told the neighbor that they should tell us first (they never told us anything else i would have done something to make it less noisy) and that 8pm was not an unreasonable late hour for sounds.

After that time I got some extra rubber mats against training sounds and using a headset most of the times. Even if I am in my right i prefer not to bother other people. Not even that neighbor who is not well loved as he makes loads of trouble.

I have a similar situation happening next door to where I live. There is a work site in situ with several houses being constructed.

Up until last week the workers would continue from 7am until whenever. Now I am talking about angle grinders, tile cutters and general noise from building works. The noise level was becoming unbearable. Knowing full well that complaining was a waste of time I have sat back and put up with it. Hoping that the local Thai community would finally get the jack of all the noise and make a complaint that might have some substance.

Last Tuesday the noise from an angle grinder was so loud and continuous I had to leave my house for the day. On returning at 6pm in the evening the noise level was unacceptable. The noise of the angle grinder continued through to 11pm that night. Finally I managed to close my eyes and I was awaken at 0130 am.

Absolutely sick to death of the situation. I spent all day working out how I could do something about the noise. But to my surprise that evening the noise stopped at 6pm and there hasn't been a peep from the building site after 6pm, since that night with the angle grinder debacle at 0130am.

So I am thinking the local Thai community had a gut full of the noise and the angle grinder blasting away at 0130am was the last straw.

Note that the nationalities are reversed here compared to the OP. In Thailand making noise is not just a right, it's practically an obligation.

And yet ... Listen to the soundscape in BKK during a bumper-to-bumper traffic-jam. There's very little horn honking ... in fact, almost none. And if you hear someone really laying on the horn, they're most likely Indian or American. (I'm American, btw.) I've traveled/lived in 60-plus countries and I've never seen/heard any other country that's like this.

And they had to finish at a reasonable hour after dark.

Not your favourite near neighbour then? A bit stroppy getting a cop to tell you about her perilous sleeping abilities and shitty work hours IMHO.
Many women work nights in Pattaya...... biggrin.png

The law states 7.00 - 5.00 in residential areas

What exactly is a residential area, especially where there is almost no zoning laws in Pattaya?

In another thread, someone was complaining about some Russian owned night market on phratumnak hill which is mainly residential except for the hotels, shops, bars, golf course, restaurants, massage shops thrown in to the mix.:blink: