Why can't Thai people look you in the eye?

morpho

I have lived in Chiang Mai for 2 years now and prior to moving here in 2011, I had traveled extensively around the country for 10 years. I also have traveled extensively in Vietnam, Cambodia and the Philippines.

One thing that I have noticed during my time living here is how so many Thai people, men and women, seem unable to look me in the eye when they see me. Just walking down the street and people either look away or look down. There are exceptions, mostly from young children and older people, but the majority of people in the middle seem to act in this way.

Now I know I'm not the most handsome guy in the world but I'm also not the ugliest. Plus Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Filipino people act totally different, especially in Vietnam where most of the people have no hesitation to look right at me and to even strike up a conversation.

In Thailand, I am assuming this has something to do with "maintaining face" but I really don't know for sure and am curious to know if others ever notice this and have an opinion.

Edited by morpho

The topic should read "Why can't Thai people look ME in the eye?"

The OP presumes incorrectly that Thai people don't make eye contact ('sop taa') with normal people.

Define "normal" pls.

Direct eye contact is considered in some Cultures as being quite aggressive.

Length of contact could also a perceptionaly based ... maybe your perception is biased?

Would be from the US per chance?

Just questions ... could be wrong.

I'm off to look in the mirror ...

• Like 1

If you are in CM city may have more to do with city living.

I'm from New York City and people never look strangers in the eye there, only people they know or intend to interact with. It's an urban thing, one of many mechanism for allowing people some personal space and privacy despite living crammed together.

In the countryside you'll find people more likely to make (brief) eye contact and smile an acknowledgement.

• Like 1

If you are in CM city may have more to do with city living.

I'm from New York City and people never look strangers in the eye there, only people they know or intend to interact with. It's an urban thing, one of many mechanism for allowing people some personal space and privacy despite living crammed together.

In the countryside you'll find people more likely to make (brief) eye contact and smile an acknowledgement.

Countryside: Brief eye-contact is the rule while smiling. Also upon walking the village street and crossing the pathway of a female, a slight nod of the head is all the Farang gets with no eye contact whatsoever.

Very different in Pattaya: There the Farang gets so much Eye-Contact, it could make a grown man dizzie. (And usually does).

Sometimes I wonder, if all this happens in the same country.

Cheers.

• Like 1

The OP presumes incorrectly that Thai people don't make eye contact ('sop taa') with normal people.

Define "normal" pls.

Those who Thai people are willing to look in the eye...

Define "normal" pls.

Those who Thai people are willing to look in the eye...

Fair enough.....lol

In some cultures eye contact or the staring of one person to another is considered as an offensive act, and will result in a much different reaction than the one expected.

What is acceptable in one culture does not mean it is acceptable in another culture, could have a completely different meaning.

Cheers:smile.png

probably because most thais are short <deleted> and if they look up at you they get the sun in their eyes and have to squint so its easier not to look at you............cheesy.gif

Never understand why a guy writes a thread gets a ton of answers then never comes bacl. 17 posts troll thread maybe? Either was it's safe to say with the Avi that says Marine Corps Build Men pict he is from the States.

Unfortunately, I get a lot of the Thai style stares. Might be my pasty complexion or the outfit I'm wearing, but stare they do. The only exception seems to be in some of the retail outlets, when I need assistance. Nope, not even a glance. They'll swarm when I'm browsing, but not when I need something. sad.png

I do get the eye contact when I visit some restaurants/alehouses. The staff certainly are sizing me up. My friend says it's because they are wondering how I squeezed myself into some of my clothes. I think he's hinting I am chubby. Nice friend. blink.png

In Australia making eye contact leads to four scenarios, you get a pleasant smile,you get harassed by a lonely person,you get asked for money or you get

beaten up.

I think at the end of the day it is all about the human instinct of survival .So lets not judge Thai people on your personal observations.

• Like 1

I have noticed the same thing in various locales in Thailand. People just won't make eye contact, much like they won't smile or nod or even say ka / khap when you hold the door for them. I've been in the Philippines for the last few weeks and everyone here to a person will make eye contact and smile when approaching them on the street, in the mall or anywhere for that matter. Some of the friendliest people I have met anywhere. In the US, it is the culture of fear that has been forced on the people for the last umpteen years. It wasn't that way when I was a kid growing up there.

• Like 1

few days ago in cm, a poor bloke got assaulted and chased by 2 men in a bike chase. with a samurai blade, all the way till the police station. for looking into one of the guy eyes

what a load of BS