Thai Buddhism: Much deeper things have gone wrong

webfact

Its all math. And math can prove just about anything you expect to find.

There is no subject that I am weaker on than mathematics - which is to say I know virtually nothing about it beyond the basics - but the above strikes me as a truly extraordinary thing to say.

Someone better inform NASA right away...and the Pentagon, come to think of it.

Heh. Nasa crashed a probe into Mars due to bad math.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking for about 5 years to talk to some one who is really knowledgable about karma.. do you have any suggestions?

Phra Bill

LP Jaran at Wat Amphawan

In which province? According to Google there is a Wat Amphawan in quite a few different provinces, so which one is it ?

There is no subject that I am weaker on than mathematics - which is to say I know virtually nothing about it beyond the basics - but the above strikes me as a truly extraordinary thing to say.

:)

Was the math bad or was it just too malleable?

If the former, that is precisely my point. If the latter, yours...

(I'm assuming by "bad" you mean "incorrect". Or did you mean naughty math?)

Edited by SteeleJoe

As you can probably tell from my posts, I'm not a religious person. Nor am I spiritual (as I really have no idea what that means).

If you had to distill religions to a single sentence, they all pretty much say "do unto others as you would be done by".

What I do like about Buddhism is that it recognizes that unhappiness is caused by unfulfilled desires. It's answer is simple and in my view, correct.

It's easier to modify our desires and expectations than to try and change the world. I don't have to be a Buddhist to recognize and live this principle.

I had probably better leave this sub-forum before I upset the regulars here.

Please don't think that I for one am in any way offended by you, Karen. Though the lovely mods disapprove of too much science I enjoy the banter and always learn something from it. I think criticism is actually constructive as it makes me think and research and I am glad to be wrong if it gets to the truth.

• Like 1

:)

Was the math bad or was it just too malleable?

If the former, that is precisely my point. If the latter, yours...

Ah, well, er, that one was due to calculations done in Europe being in metric and nobody telling the Americans who input the data in Imperial. Doesn't prove my point at all.

Nothing to do with the maths.

The reason it happened was that some scientists used imperial measurements and others used metric, whilst each group thought the the other was using the same .

Yes, a machine can do maths.

Who discovered maths and who built the machine?

Edited by KarenBravo

I've been looking for about 5 years to talk to some one who is really knowledgable about karma.. do you have any suggestions?

Phra Bill

LP Jaran at Wat Amphawan

In which province? According to Google there is a Wat Amphawan in quite a few different provinces, so which one is it ?

Singburi

Nothing to do with the maths.

The reason it happened was that some scientists used imperial measurements and others used metric, whilst each group thought the the other was using the same .

Yes, a machine can do maths.

Who discovered maths and who built the machine?

Probably some guy (or gal) who was meditating! :)

But serously. I must apologise. As Rocky pointed out about the 8-fold path I realise I am engaging in wrong speech. I may not be swearing or abusive, but I am causing antagonism which is wrong. I believe the 8-fold path is key to ending suffering, and that it requires mindfulness to maintain. Sometimes the mistakes we make are subtle and generally only noticeable to others. So, again, sorry.

I can find nothing on this Swarmi predicting an expanding universe or predicting genes and DNA.

Please supply a link.

Try Swami Vivekananda.

I did that and can find no reference to him predicting either an expanding universe, or genes.

You misunderstand, he did not predict an expanding universe nor genes. he talked to these and other matters, since proven by science, from a basis of Hindu philosophy. A link below, but is talking in terms based upon Hinduism.

http://player2000gi.alotspace.com/vivekananda.htm

Edited by simple1

@simple1.

This is not what you claimed in your original post.

Here is your statement:-

"Off topic, but a truely amazing thinker, Swami Vivekanada (1862-1902) who was a Hindu philosopher, talked about the expanding universe, genetic inheritance and so on prior to being 'discovered". It has all since been proved by science and mathematics. Look him up, especially his 1893 Chicago speech and collection of writings".

Ironically, it was quantum mechanics that proved the interconnectedness of all the atoms in the universe.

Edited by KarenBravo

@simple1.

This is not what you claimed in your original post.

Here is your statement:-

"Off topic, but a truely amazing thinker, Swami Vivekanada (1862-1902) who was a Hindu philosopher, talked about the expanding universe, genetic inheritance and so on prior to being 'discovered". It has all since been proved by science and mathematics. Look him up, especially his 1893 Chicago speech and collection of writings".

Ironically, it was quantum mechanics that proved the interconnectedness of all the atoms in the universe.

Why are you arguing? Prediction is a statement about the way things will happen in the future, what he was saying, based upon Hindu philosophy was not a future state, but a reality, that as I said was later proven by Western research

Not irony, Kamma...

I don't think you know what karma is.

Oh yes I do. I was making a joke.

You may know what Karma is, but, you certainly don't know how to spell it...............

You must have been illiterate in a previous life (another joke).

Edited by KarenBravo

Careful with the will to ill, it makes you jump to conclusions.

In Southern Buddhism, which is transmitted through the Pali language, 'kamma' is correct.

Northern Buddhism favours the Sanskrit-based spelling 'karma'.

Edited by weary
  • Like 1

Not irony, Kamma...

I don't think you know what karma is.

Oh yes I do. I was making a joke.

You may know what Karma is, but, you certainly don't know how to spell it...............

You must have been illiterate in a previous life (another joke).

Hey, I'm illiterate in this life too you know. Can't read a word of Thai. Plus I should have been clearer, I understand Buddhist terms mostly in Pali not Sanskrit as I'm a Theravedan monk not Mahayana.

From the guidelines for posting in this forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/61517-a-welcome-message-posting-guidelines/

Do keep in mind that Buddhism, along with the Thai monarchy, is one of the most respected social institutions in Thailand. Posts whose primary purpose is to slag off Buddhism in general or Thai Buddhism in particular are not welcome. Such posts will be edited or deleted immediately, and the member will be warned and/or suspended. Proselytising is likewise unwelcome. This includes repeatedly posting dogma about any subject matter, including vegetarianism, celibacy and so on.

Do you think karma is supernatural?

Do you believe in coincidences?

How many times have you seen someone in a meditation group fall over onto the ground and snore like a pig?

* I think what you have described is. I think any discussion of karma and what it may or may not be would have to be longer and more complex than I am prepared to go into - especially as there is no singular interpretation of what it is or entails (even if one adhere to the belief that it is one of the five aspects of niyama dhammas).

* Everything has a cause and effect. That is basic logic. But do I believe some things happen simultaneously at certain times absent any conscious intentional design (human or cosmic) whatsoever? Almost certainly. More to the point, I know of absolutely no reason why they couldn't.

* Errr...never.

Phra Bill

Luang Pho Kumjon (lineage Tan Buddhadasa and P.A.Payutto)

or http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/good_evil_beyond.pdf

• Like 1

The coins that are dropped into a beggars cup by most Thais are almost never given as charity for the beggar. Those coins are to buy merit for the benefit of the donor. This is completely against what the Buddha taught.

I'm sure the Buddha taught not to be judgmental too.

How on earth can you know what most Thai people's reasoning is when giving money to beggars?

My wife seems to think most of the beggars in Bangkok are controlled by the local 'mafia' - hence no donation.