Thai Buddhism: Much deeper things have gone wrong

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coins that are dropped into a beggars cup by most Thais are almost never given as charity for the beggar. Those coins are to buy merit for the benefit of the donor. This is completely against what the Buddha taught.

I'm sure the Buddha taught not to be judgmental too.

How on earth can you know what most Thai people's reasoning is when giving money to beggars?

This is very brave of this Thai journalist to so openly criticize Buddhism in his country. I have often felt much the same when observing Thai Buddhism.

Before I came to Thailand, I became very interested in Zen Buddhism. I also frequented a Buddhist center that practiced Tibetan Buddhism. Both of these forms of Buddhism taught me many things about acceptance, patience, love, and kindness. I was actually kind of shocked - and have grown more so by degrees - when I first arrived here. Thai people eat meat, drink alcohol! I was naively thinking that a Buddhist nation would all be teetotal. But that lay people do all these things isn't really a big issue. The fact that many monks smoke, eat meat, openly carry cell phones, drink etc is highly un-Buddhist.

The truth is, Thais have their very own breed of Buddhism that is mixed up with Hinduism and Animism, and I don't know what else...Question I have always asked myself (and I know it's a rather cynical one): Are religions just a cover up for base human desires, a way to control our animal impulses somewhat? Is anyone really capable of being "saintly"?

I have been taught by experience never to criticize a monk. Karma has a way of working when one does.

There is no Thai Buddhism. There is Theravada Buddhism.

I spent time in a Mahayana Buddhist retreat in Daramasla, India, where most of the monks are 'Tibetan' - they all ate meat, which surprised me at the time, as did other practices like the Tantric ones.

Tibetans perception of what the Buddha taught are different to Thais, Indians, Japanese etc.

In Scotland some people's understanding of Christianity is totally different from someone in Utah or Rome etc.

Of course Jesus would not advocate the use of alcohol yet many Christian countries drink, a lot!

Live and let live.

• Like 2

I wonder why the author from the Nation expect Thai monks/lay people to be interested in Muslims in Myanmar. Thai people in general don't interfere with other people's business, they don't even have actions/thoughts about their own society as long as it doesn't directly hurt them. Have a look at how politics are playing out right now, that the country could go into bankruptcy soon yet only a few people come out to protests and make it known to the public.

Maybe this is not about Buddhism in Thailand but about attitude of materialism that not only infects Thais but almost all of humankind.

This is very brave of this Thai journalist to so openly criticize Buddhism in his country. I have often felt much the same when observing Thai Buddhism.

Before I came to Thailand, I became very interested in Zen Buddhism. I also frequented a Buddhist center that practiced Tibetan Buddhism. Both of these forms of Buddhism taught me many things about acceptance, patience, love, and kindness. I was actually kind of shocked - and have grown more so by degrees - when I first arrived here. Thai people eat meat, drink alcohol! I was naively thinking that a Buddhist nation would all be teetotal. But that lay people do all these things isn't really a big issue. The fact that many monks smoke, eat meat, openly carry cell phones, drink etc is highly un-Buddhist.

The truth is, Thais have their very own breed of Buddhism that is mixed up with Hinduism and Animism, and I don't know what else...Question I have always asked myself (and I know it's a rather cynical one): Are religions just a cover up for base human desires, a way to control our animal impulses somewhat? Is anyone really capable of being "saintly"?

I have been taught by experience never to criticize a monk. Karma has a way of working when one does.

I spent time in a Mahayana Buddhist retreat in Daramasla, India, where most of the monks are 'Tibetan' - they all ate meat, which surprised me at the time, as did other practices like the Tantric ones.

Tibetans perception of what the Buddha taught are different to Thais, Indians, Japanese etc.

In Scotland some people's understanding of Christianity is totally different from someone in Utah or Rome etc.

Of course Jesus would not advocate the use of alcohol yet many Christian countries drink, a lot!

Live and let live.

Sort of understand what you are getting at but what's your take on the 'jet-setting monk' from Sisaket? Open for criticism?

The coins that are dropped into a beggars cup by most Thais are almost never given as charity for the beggar. Those coins are to buy merit for the benefit of the donor. This is completely against what the Buddha taught.

Maybe the beggars should become monks then thumbsup.gif

Maybe they are monks, sent from Sisaket!

Maybe if they were driving luxury cars!

Live and let live.

Sort of understand what you are getting at but what's your take on the 'jet-setting monk' from Sisaket? Open for criticism?

Do not forget in Sisaket not only are our monks rich with child wives but we have highest amount of registered luxury cars and the best test cheating scams. Sisaket voted the most corrupt area in Thailand and where our roads cost twice as much but only last a few months.

Edited by gosompoi
  • Like 1

Maybe the beggars should become monks then thumbsup.gif

Maybe they are monks, sent from Sisaket!

Maybe if they were driving luxury cars!

And smelling of French Cologne. The cleanest beggars ever seen!

• Like 1