When do you consider yourself to be Thai?

Chittychangchang

CCC Since I fall into the categories

Never!

Cannot see why I would like even to be considered Thai.

Have a home and family here.

Intend to die and be cremated in Thailand.

I'm afraid there is something wrong either with me or with your 1 out of 10 scheme. Back to drawing board, mate. facepalm.gif

I'm somewhere between 6 and 7 I guess. Lived here for more than half my life (57) been to almost one hundred countries and there is only one other place in the world I'd consider making my home. As for Thainess, I wouldn't want to be anything other than what I am. A citizen of the world who happens to be living in LOS.

• Like 1

If i live to be 150 i hope i never become more like a Thai or adopt 'Thainess'. You are what you were born and will always be so as we have different cultures, backgrounds and values. You don't have to become like them to live happily here.

• Like 2

The answer should be never. I have lived in Hawaii since 1982 and I have embraced many aspects of the culture, lifestyle, and food. Although I have lived here for many years and have many Hawaiian friends I would never consider myself to be something that I am not and cannot ever be.

A Thai passport...

But see Thainess as a non issue, I'll never be Thai so it doesn't matter.

That doesn't prevent me from seeing a Thai perspective or having opinions for or against Thailand the Thai way or its Western equivalents...

So... I don't see 'a Thai way' as in Thainess or a 'Western way' as in Westernised... I just see a better way, sometimes a compromise, sometimes not.... Logic and individual merit of each situation yields an individual response neither Thai nor Western...

Thainess.... Does such a thing really exist ?

Probably not! unless the NESS goes behind every Nationality in the world.

My Wife obtained British Citizenship a few months ago,does that now make her English? of course not! it means she has the same rights as any other British Citizen. As for her giving up her Thai Citizenship,she would not want to and neither would I want her to,she is, a Thai born and bred,and will remain so, for the rest of her life,our Daughter is 50% English and 50% Thai,that is how nature decreed it, and the three of us are very happy,with natures wise decision.

As for those that have leanings towards changing their Nationality to predominately Thai,it may come as a shock in later life,when you find out who you really are?