Returning Expat Culture Shock......

theblether

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like we've all experienced it, I remember the culture shock of moving from an American customer service oriented environment back to the brutal reality of nobody gives a toss about the customer in the UK. That was hard to get my head round.

The solution of course

Never return

No shock

But there is significant shock when you do go back, even more shock then moving to a new country, just because you expect your home environment to have remained the same, and then it ends up looking like a whole new country after 10 or 15 years.

I have not lived in my home country for about 34 years with only 2 short trips during that time and one brief stay of about a year. This time it has been 22 years since my return.

I bet things are pretty weird back home now.

Being born was not too much of a shock I guess,

Compared to the shock of returning

I expect.

• Like 1

I worked many years in Investment Banking in London and then returned to the nanny state of Australia and yes it was a shock. Working in the same industry in Sydney with the weird sydney people and their uptight personalities drove me insane. Most of them acted like they had a carrot up their bum and some of them held their noses so high that they would nearly drown in a rain storm. Needless to say I did not last long and decided to move to LOS to be amongst more normal farang....

I never heard this about Australia, can you develop ?

Aren't they the coolest in the world ? :-)

• Like 1

I dont entirely disagree with that assessment of Australia in 2013, but basing your opinion on the insane asylum known as Sydney just isnt representative of the rest of the country, IMO. although its definitely getting worse in all our cities. It's also worth noting that a high percentage of Australians were either born overseas or have parents who emigrated to Australia within the last 40 years. That doesn't make the rest of us 'Crocodile Dundee', but Sydney and Melbourne are infinitely more multicultural than the tragic country town I call home. 9 more months and I can kiss it all goodbye - hallelujah ....

(for those who feel I'm being unfair on Sydney, I grew up there and bailed in the 80s when it became apparent that the Lebanese were taking over everything west of Strathfield. I've also lived in Adelaide (2 years) and Brisbane (~20 years) and spent considerable time in Melbourne on various work assignments - Perth remains a complete mystery and I doubt that anyone particularly cares about Hobart anyway :D )

• Like 2

I worked many years in Investment Banking in London and then returned to the nanny state of Australia and yes it was a shock. Working in the same industry in Sydney with the weird sydney people and their uptight personalities drove me insane. Most of them acted like they had a carrot up their bum and some of them held their noses so high that they would nearly drown in a rain storm. Needless to say I did not last long and decided to move to LOS to be amongst more normal farang....

I never heard this about Australia, can you develop ?

Aren't they the coolest in the world ? :-)

No. From an Australian who fled here. You don't get a nanny state (and Australia is Head Nanny of the world) without a population that laps up being controlled - and resents those who aren't subject to internal and external pressures to conform. Oz long ago ceased to be the laid back, friendly and laconic place of cultural lore.

I beg to differ on the point, the 12 months i spent in Byron Bay and Nimbin was very relaxed and chilled untill i fell foul of a group of Hara krishnas and was sent to Sydney to ring bells and chant in Kings X.

Eventually the X engulfed me and normal service was resumed.

You carn't fight the X!

Back on topic - It's always crap returning home after an enjoyable, financially rewarding expat adventure.

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang

Then....................you realise there are no bum guns.

How do these people expect to get themselves clean using paper?

I keep a travel pack of wet ones at my office desk and a big pack at home. Closest thing to a bum gun here without resorting to a glass of water. Actually my missus uses the glass of water in the dunny and the other day I caught my 3 year old drinking out of it. :)

No bum gun, please save us...

Yeah! Whenever I return, even at 5 star hotels, no bum gun. And then you imagine, your fellow countrymen, or Western women.........

Then....................you realise there are no bum guns.

How do these people expect to get themselves clean using paper?

I keep a travel pack of wet ones at my office desk and a big pack at home. Closest thing to a bum gun here without resorting to a glass of water. Actually my missus uses the glass of water in the dunny and the other day I caught my 3 year old drinking out of it. smile.png

No bum gun, please save us...

Yeah! Whenever I return, even at 5 star hotels, no bum gun. And then you imagine, your fellow countrymen, or Western women.........

I know mate.

At some point you have to draw the line and stop smearing otherwise you will fill the toilet bowl with paper and block it.

Just feels so dirty.

post-5463-0-65983900-1373501513_thumb.jp

People are always going on about Nanny State laws in Australia, I lived in Australia for 30 years (departed 2011) & never experienced laws that impacted my quality of life. Please explain what laws you object to & why.

People are always going on about Nanny State laws in Australia, I lived in Australia for 30 years (departed 2011) & never experienced laws that impacted my quality of life. Please explain what laws you object to & why.

Now live outside australia for a decade or so and then return to live. You notice it then.

I think Australians have let it get to this point because they don't know any better. I would imagine most 2nd or more generation Australians have never spent more than a week at a time in other countries and even then it would be a trip to Bali.

An observation of mine is that living in another country where english is not the spoken language you dont get drawn into politics, whats going on in the country, even what sort of advertising is on tv. You tend to live life in a bubble of what you understand and what you want to understand, it is easier.

Go back to your country of birth and suddenly you understand what is going politically, what is being advertised on tv and so on. It is hard going from a fairly carefree life to being immersed in it all again.

• Like 1

Now live outside australia for a decade or so and then return to live. You notice it then.

I think Australians have let it get to this point because they don't know any better. I would imagine most 2nd or more generation Australians have never spent more than a week at a time in other countries and even then it would be a trip to Bali.

An observation of mine is that living in another country where english is not the spoken language you dont get drawn into politics, whats going on in the country, even what sort of advertising is on tv. You tend to live life in a bubble of what you understand and what you want to understand, it is easier.

Go back to your country of birth and suddenly you understand what is going politically, what is being advertised on tv and so on. It is hard going from a fairly carefree life to being immersed in it all again.

Please answer the question...

And what about culture shock?

This is actually a very important topic which is of interest to expats all over Thailand and the rest of the world.

I know that this is a factor which combines with others to cause me to feel less interested in returning to my home country for a visit. My homeland has now become foreign to me.

Stay on topic, or start a new one to talk about another subject, is good advice.

Edited by OldChinaHam

For me the biggest culture shock was the discovering that the Thai people outside of Thailand are nowhere near as happy or welcoming as in their own country. Not sure if anyone else has encountered that phenomenon.

• Like 2

For me the biggest culture shock was the discovering that the Thai people outside of Thailand are nowhere near as happy or welcoming as in their own country. Not sure if anyone else has encountered that phenomenon.

This seems to be true for all cultures. Koreans in the US, Chinese in Belize, Taiwanese in America.

I have wondered about this and I think I know why.

When outside their country and seen as foreigners in the US, Taiwanese or Chinese are afraid to open up to farang, fearing the usual prejudice and bias, not knowing we are really world travelers who are friendly and accepting farang.

But once you connect and they get to know you, then they are as friendly as ever.

BUT this is also not the topic at hand.

This is actually a very important topic which is of interest to expats all over Thailand and the rest of the world.

I know that this is a factor which combines with others to cause me to feel less interested in returning to my home country for a visit. My homeland has now become foreign to me.

Stay on topic, or start a new one to talk about another subject, is good advice.

Are people no longer capable of due diligence? I do not know why people make such a big deal out of "culture shock". If you're no longer comfortable with your new country or when returning to your home country either adjust or return to where you are at ease.

Yeah, I go to Thai restaurants and the staff who speak Thai couldn't care less when you speak Thai to them. Even though they understand, they are just not interested in asking how the hell you learned to speak Thai, etc.

I was even reading a Thai newspaper in one place and the gal serving me never wrinkled an eyebrow.

I did however find one restaurant with a little old lady running it who sat and talked for a long time, asking me about how I came to know Thailand, and explaining how she ended up here. Only trouble is, her prices are sky high, so I haven't been back.

Are people no longer capable of due diligence? I do not know why people make such a big deal out of "culture shock". If you're no longer comfortable with your new country or when returning to your home country either adjust or return to where you are at ease.

I am not overly worried about culture shock caused by returning to my home country.

It is severe during the first week, augmented and exacerbated by a good dose of jet lag, no doubt.

But it does wear off after a week to 10 days

At which time I feel right at home again.

Painful it is, at first though.

It would be good to take time to read the article.

"Due diligence" has nothing to do with it.

"The longer the length of the assignment, the higher the stress levels, said Dalton. Expats often talk about “re-entry shock,” and reverse homesickness is quite common."

Culture shock when returning home or to the office you left 3 years prior or 10 years in the distant past is not to be controlled by logic, it is a gut feeling that can be surprisingly strong and can last.

That is right. I want to hear thoughts about

this topic:

Returning Expat Culture Shock......

Relationships in the office are quite different in a western country - I have observed that work/other life is very compartmentalised in the west. There is a lot less socializing at lunch-time and after work than there used to be. Lots of people seem to eat their lunch in front of their computers rather than going out for lunch - possibly to do with affordability. I also notice that Monday-Friday and Saturday-Sunday is a huge divide. One thing I like about Asia is that one day is the same as the next in the sense that you can finish work and still stroll the shops, eat at a side-walk staff and see lots of people out and about. In the west it seems people are very work focussed during the week..get up/go to work/.finish work/ go home, cook/eat dinner, sleep/ ....again and again...until Friday when everyone seems to go mental, binge drink etc. etc., again it may be about affordability. Anyway, that is just my observation. Whenever I go back to my home country I cannot get anyone to go out to eat on a week night. "oh sorry, I have to work tomorrow, can we make it on the weekend'. Different to life in the East.

• Like 2

Back in the UK there have been so many people admitted who have little or no intention of wanting to imerse themselves in the British culture that there are many many different cultures all going on at the same time, does not seem like what it used to be and its accelerating, The UK is a rapidly changing place, I think this applies more to England that the other countries, London for example has almost half its population made up of non Brits! Most of the new births in 2012 were born to immigrants, according to a report on the BBC today. When I go back I notice that most people are not speaking English, dont have much consideration for others dress and behave in a different way to what I remember.

Yes going back would certainly be a big learning curve and thats before you throw in Health and Safety, Political correctness and whatever the EU thinks is best for us.

• Like 2

German by birth I grew up in Africa and been in Asia for the last 20. I did try working in Germany once; I lasted one year before throwing in the towel.

Sure, good food, great culture, cinemas, book shops (I spent most of my time in Vietnam and Cambodia were all these things are not exactly common.

I guess I will stay an Expat for the rest of my life and avoid culture shock....