Returning Expat Culture Shock......

theblether

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I

There are many things I hate about being an expat in Thailand, but this is a good opportunity to mention that there are also things I Really love about Thailand, and they are much more seriously missed when I return home (whichever place that is).Bum gunsPretty girls and generally decent looking, not obese peopleLaid back atmosphere (although its downside is strong here)FoodThe timelessness that Thai people live their lives by - not rushing through lifePretty girlsFoodWeatherSimplicity of lifeTrips to other regional countries that are quite interestingThe openness that Thais have about what we consider PC type stuff - for instance, it's perfectly fine and happens on occasion that someone in my company approaches me to tell me that I look handsome. Or, I can make comments to some of the sweet things in the department like "wow K. Cutey, did you lose a little weight? You look so sexy 'jing jing'", and there's no problem.Probably othersNow, as much as like visiting Singapore, after long assignments there, I'm happy to get the h3ll outta that boring place.
"I can make comments to some of the sweet things in the department like "wow K. Cutey, did you lose a little weight? You look so sexy 'jing jing'", and there's no problem" I would say that this is actually not appreciated if the truth were told.Not in Thailand, anyway.The people you are kidding might prefer it otherwise.They will accept this from you a farang, but I do not think this is appreciated as much as you might think.Sorry, only my opinion, and I may be incorrect, but hopefully not politically.
Typically, the ladies initiate the commenting. Also, it happens among the Thai male crowd as well.But sure, certain ladies would not like that at all. Depends on a number of factors including how the recipient feels about the commenter. Edited by PaullyW

Just one question for the Australians - if the country was so awesome 10-15-20 years ago, why the hell did you leave to live in Asia ? wink.png

Wanderings and wondering is in their nature and in their blood.

If they had not these urges

Their forebears would never have elected to travel down there in the first place.

I thought all their forbears were put on a boat for being criminals in England.

Not something they chose to do.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Just one question for the Australians - if the country was so awesome 10-15-20 years ago, why the hell did you leave to live in Asia ? wink.png

Their forebears would never have elected to travel down there in the first place.

Also later on the £10 Poms

Even though my official residence is still in the dear old USA, I bounce around the planet on a regular basis. Even being away for a few months at a time, when I return home I have a hard time adjusting. Something about viewing the world from a global perspective really opens your eyes to the craziness at home which you always took for normal. Sad to say, I really cannot identify with many Americans these days. I am a firm believer that everyone should be required to spend time overseas to hopefully gain a better appreciation for their home country's role in the global community.

As Thomas Wolfe so aptly put, you can never go home again.

Americans are fond of saying their president is "in the bubble", or exists in a bubble.

The world now sees that Americans themselves, almost all, are also living completely "in the bubble"

Reality is obviously too much for this generation of Americans, glad I am not one of this generation.

I am over the hill almost.

And they are over the Moon, completely.

Rumor.

(But still, you won't find a more likable bunch, anywhere. And they do not culture shock easily, either.)

Edited by OldChinaHam

I've been a professional expat for over 20 years, de-mobiliation is an inevitable part every assignment and I've moved between a wide range of culturally/socially and politically disparate locations.

The only time I can say I suffered reverse culture shock was on return from my first extended stay overseas (returning to the UK from a spell as a professional cyclist in Europe) - Even then I don't think culture shock was not the issue, rather my eyes had been opened to 'difference'.

The saying that 'it is not what you see when you are away matters, but what you see when you come back' is, I think, a very basic truth.

I don't say reverse culture shock does not exist, rather I think there are other more important factors to consider - perhaps the most important is the control the expat has over the re-assignment process and the level to which the expat has 'adjusted' to his/her temporary host culture.

I've taken part in demobilising expats (planned de-mobilsiations forced by circumstances - physical/mental health and often behavioural issues).

Most expats demobilising see it as a positive step, change brining opportunity, the end of good times but also of the hard work and pressure they were assigned to deal with But I've also seen guys sobbing and on one occasion on his knees begging not to be demobilised - This latter group are the guys who have real problems settling in elsewhere, be that at home or at ANother duty post.

The marked difference between these two groups is their 'adjustment' to their temporary host culture and the thin line between 'assimilating and loosing oneself in the host culture.

Anyone who bothers reading my posts will undoubtedly have come across me mentioning 'the saffron tinted spectacles' or more frequently 'don't rant against the nanny state back home because that's where you'll go when your life here goes to rat-<deleted>'.

These are not meaningless or flippant observations - The guys I know who have suffered the worst of this 'reverse culture shock' or 'demob-blues' are exactly the same guys who get lost in their temporary host culture - Their world becomes monochromatic - 'Good - Thailand' v 'Bad - Old Country'

Posts along those lines can be found regularly here on TV.

Common sense tells us Thailand is not all good (nor all bad), the old country is not all bad, (nor all good).

Spot that monochromatic 'Good v Bad' outlook and you spot the mindset that has problems adjusting when they eventually pack their bags to go home.

Then there are those who see Thailand no good and yearn to return to the mother country and think it wont have changed, change happens its how it is dealt with.

Rumor.

(But still, you won't find a more likable bunch, anywhere. And they do not culture shock easily, either.)

I have roamed the globe for many years and have to say that overall I would rank the aussies at the top of being a "likeable bunch"....sure there are a few bad ones but generally I have found most aussies to be generally pleasant folks to be around. Most don't spend all their time whining about this and that but just seem to know how to have a good time. Most also seem to be "good" travelers who can adapt to wherever they are and whatever is happening and see the funny / positive side of most situations. Good on you mates.

• Like 1

AND, please do not neglect to include all of my comment next time. The part you left out reads like this:

"But it is just these traits that make them less bothered by culture shock.

Have you seen many Australians bothered by culture shock anywhere in the world?

I have yet to see one.

The guys from New Zland too, they never seem too worried by culture shock.

Must be in the blood, too."

I've been a professional expat for over 20 years, de-mobiliation is an inevitable part every assignment and I've moved between a wide range of culturally/socially and politically disparate locations.

The only time I can say I suffered reverse culture shock was on return from my first extended stay overseas (returning to the UK from a spell as a professional cyclist in Europe) - Even then I don't think culture shock was not the issue, rather my eyes had been opened to 'difference'.

The saying that 'it is not what you see when you are away matters, but what you see when you come back' is, I think, a very basic truth.

I don't say reverse culture shock does not exist, rather I think there are other more important factors to consider - perhaps the most important is the control the expat has over the re-assignment process and the level to which the expat has 'adjusted' to his/her temporary host culture.

I've taken part in demobilising expats (planned de-mobilsiations forced by circumstances - physical/mental health and often behavioural issues).

Most expats demobilising see it as a positive step, change brining opportunity, the end of good times but also of the hard work and pressure they were assigned to deal with But I've also seen guys sobbing and on one occasion on his knees begging not to be demobilised - This latter group are the guys who have real problems settling in elsewhere, be that at home or at ANother duty post.

The marked difference between these two groups is their 'adjustment' to their temporary host culture and the thin line between 'assimilating and loosing oneself in the host culture.

Anyone who bothers reading my posts will undoubtedly have come across me mentioning 'the saffron tinted spectacles' or more frequently 'don't rant against the nanny state back home because that's where you'll go when your life here goes to rat-<deleted>'.

These are not meaningless or flippant observations - The guys I know who have suffered the worst of this 'reverse culture shock' or 'demob-blues' are exactly the same guys who get lost in their temporary host culture - Their world becomes monochromatic - 'Good - Thailand' v 'Bad - Old Country'

Common sense tells us Thailand is not all good (nor all bad), the old country is not all bad, (nor all good).

Spot that monochromatic 'Good v Bad' outlook and you spot the mindset that has problems adjusting when they eventually pack their bags to go home.

Then there are those who see Thailand no good and yearn to return to the mother country and think it wont have changed, change happens its how it is dealt with.

Did you not read what he posted?

Did you not read what he posted?

I read what GuestHouse posted and I liked it much.

But I did ask earlier about the guys sobbing and one on his knees. What is this? How can a company run with people like this?

Did John Glen start sobbing just before blast off, "No I don't wanna go"?

No. Of course not. He had the Right StuFF.

Still, GuestHouse' account is interesting, would like to read more.

Regarding Thais abroad I would imagine that it makes sense they are generally that way. As an expat here in Thailand, I don't give a toss when I meet a Thai here who can speak my language. I'm busy with all manner of emotions and difficulty or social withdrawal or work or wondering why the dogs in my neighborhood are so dam_n noisy starting precisely at midnight or struggling to learn the language of my host country or missing my relatives ect ect ect. Immigrants all over the world have this in common. We are all grumpy, hard working sacrifices to one degree or another.

Yes, agreed, but are we subjected to the same discrimination and bigotry in Thailand as Thais are in the USA or UK or EU or Australia?

I have to disagree with the '' Australia'' part. After my Thai wife had been living in Oz for about 12 years I asked her had anyone ever made any racist comments to her. Her answer, not at all. She said when she first struggled with English in the supermarket people would try and help her. My opinion is that most Australians see Asian immigrants as hard working unlike some others that now call Australia home.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Regarding Thais abroad I would imagine that it makes sense they are generally that way. As an expat here in Thailand, I don't give a toss when I meet a Thai here who can speak my language. I'm busy with all manner of emotions and difficulty or social withdrawal or work or wondering why the dogs in my neighborhood are so dam_n noisy starting precisely at midnight or struggling to learn the language of my host country or missing my relatives ect ect ect. Immigrants all over the world have this in common. We are all grumpy, hard working sacrifices to one degree or another.

Yes, agreed, but are we subjected to the same discrimination and bigotry in Thailand as Thais are in the USA or UK or EU or Australia?

I have to disagree with the '' Australia'' part. After my Thai wife had been living in Oz for about 12 years I asked her had anyone ever made any racist comments to her. Her answer, not at all. She said when she first struggled with English in the supermarket people would try and help her. My opinion is that most Australians see Asian immigrants as hard working unlike some others that now call Australia home.

Lucky for your wife, my Thai wife who is good looking, when living in Australia, was subjected to racial abuse every month or so. We lived in Sydney and SE QLD. With some exceptions she ended up generally disliking Australians as she just could not understand why people were so rude. Off topic, but personally I believe their is a strong undercurrent of racism and bigotry in Australia.

Lucky for your wife, my Thai wife who is good looking, when living in Australia, was subjected to racial abuse every month or so. We lived in Sydney and SE QLD. With some exceptions she ended up generally disliking Australians as she just could not understand why people were so rude. Off topic, but personally I believe their is a strong undercurrent of racism and bigotry in Australia.

I'd say there is a lot of this in western cultures. Looking down on foreign wives, especially Thais/Filipinos due to the stereotyping.

Edited by jackinbkk
  • Like 1

And now for the weathersmile.png :

Sunny in all positive minded areas around the globe; Showers and freezing temperatures in the negative areas.. Keep your cotes on and especially your gloves when it's bad weather..

Edited by Dancealot

Even though my official residence is still in the dear old USA, I bounce around the planet on a regular basis. Even being away for a few months at a time, when I return home I have a hard time adjusting. Something about viewing the world from a global perspective really opens your eyes to the craziness at home which you always took for normal. Sad to say, I really cannot identify with many Americans these days. I am a firm believer that everyone should be required to spend time overseas to hopefully gain a better appreciation for their home country's role in the global community.

As Thomas Wolfe so aptly put, you can never go home again.

I thought you were about to say "Look Homeward Angel".

Remember too, this is good down-to-earth wisdom from the coal country where life is poor and often rotten.

Reading Wolfe too much can make one ill,

If young and impressionable.

Edited by OldChinaHam

And now for the weathersmile.png :

Sunny in all positive minded areas around the globe; Showers and freezing temperatures in the negative areas.. Keep your cotes on and especially your gloves when it's bad weather..

It's good weather for gloves

post-60794-0-22930400-1373560357_thumb.j

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

What about Returning Double Culture Shock

This happens when you spend the first 25 years in your country of birth, then travel to c2 and live there for maybe 30 or more years, and then leave for a third country c3 where you spend another few years.

Does anyone know what it feels like, what kind of shock one can expect if one does not return to c2 for 3 or 4 years, and then suddenly moves back?

Does one feel as much Return Culture Shock as having returned to c1?

This is my position and this is what I am planning.

But I do not know what kind of shock I have set myself up for, whether it will be just like returning to where I grew up, or maybe even worse. Maybe I will no longer feel a part of the culture of c2?

There are many things I hate about being an expat in Thailand, but this is a good opportunity to mention that there are also things I Really love about Thailand, and they are much more seriously missed when I return home (whichever place that is).

Bum guns

Pretty girls and generally decent looking, not obese people

Laid back atmosphere (although its downside is strong here)

Food

The timelessness that Thai people live their lives by - not rushing through life

Pretty girls

Food

Weather

Simplicity of life

Trips to other regional countries that are quite interesting

The openness that Thais have about what we consider PC type stuff - for instance, it's perfectly fine and happens on occasion that someone in my company approaches me to tell me that I look handsome. Or, I can make comments to some of the sweet things in the department like "wow K. Cutey, did you lose a little weight? You look so sexy 'jing jing'", and there's no problem.

Probably others

Now, as much as like visiting Singapore, after long assignments there, I'm happy to get the h3ll outta that boring place.

"I can make comments to some of the sweet things in the department like "wow K. Cutey, did you lose a little weight? You look so sexy 'jing jing'", and there's no problem"

I would say that this is actually not appreciated if the truth were told.

Not in Thailand, anyway.

The people you are kidding might prefer it otherwise.

They will accept this from you a farang, but I do not think this is appreciated as much as you might think.

Sorry, only my opinion, and I may be incorrect, but hopefully not politically.

Ummm....weird....women in Thailand like to be called sexy..I know, because I am ally of the "don't want to comment because I am married" breed and Thais always tell me I should say they are sexy or beautiful or whatever Granted, I would never bring it up on my own, but I am often asked outright "Do you think she is sexy?" The answer is "Yes, very sexy."

People are always going on about Nanny State laws in Australia, I lived in Australia for 30 years (departed 2011) & never experienced laws that impacted my quality of life. Please explain what laws you object to & why.

there are loads of examples. This is the latest croc that is going to be legislated by the queensland govt:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-25/new-party-laws/4279930

An 18,000 fine and possible 3 yrs imprisonment if your child has an out of control party. Come on....

• Like 1

I will be the devil's advocate for a little bit. When I returned, it was so nice to feel a good breeze, clean air, no pollution (relative to chiang mai), and much less traffic. It was also nice to not see tons of people all the time, but some of the time is great energy. It is safer to bike in the mountains in USA, and the meat tastes great. better sushi, and people are pretty friendly. People also don't stare at me here as if I am a sex tourist; however, I don't care really what anyone thinks.

but it is nice to leave your home country for a while, get some culture (indirectly or directly), and explore this rock we are all on....

staying in one place can get boring. or maybe it's just me.

:)

I'm really amazed at the people complaining about the weather in the UK - I guess they just don't know when they are well off, or they are being thrawn and truculent. I've been back to the old country twice this year, and had cracking weather both times; sunny, mild, about 5 - 15 degrees during the day time; obviously not good for swiming in the sea, but pleasant for life about town

Really, what is it about Thailand that attracts whingers? I mean, goodness gracious me, but what kind of a miserable git complains about the weather somewhere else?

SC

Jeez SC, 5 - 15 degrees? Thats freezing cold. That is what the weather here in Perth is like at the moment (winter) and it is miserable.

We lived on the Northern Beaches of Sydney (Collared Beach) . There was a small Thai community in the area and extremely supportive of newcomers. I think this may have helped. However the general population was not really anti Asian. I had a friends father who was originally from Manchester and about 80 years old say to me '' I like Chinamen (his words) they're all hard workers and you never see one in Centre link with his hand out''. I thought that pretty much summed it up.

People are always going on about Nanny State laws in Australia, I lived in Australia for 30 years (departed 2011) & never experienced laws that impacted my quality of life. Please explain what laws you object to & why.

there are loads of examples. This is the latest croc that is going to be legislated by the queensland govt:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-25/new-party-laws/4279930

An 18,000 fine and possible 3 yrs imprisonment if your child has an out of control party. Come on....

OP: hope you don't mind if I respond.

Why do you object - look at the definition:

defines an out-of-control party as a gathering of 12 or more people, in which at least two are engaging in criminal activity.It create new penalties for irresponsible hosts, and means party guests who ignore police orders to disperse, and are then offensive or violent towards officers, could face an $18,000 fine or three years jail. if you are a police officer would you not want laws that back you up, rather than the slap on the wrist fines often handed out by the courts

It is not uncommon that party goers refuse to disperse and assault police officers by throwing bottles at them etc. Some parents are really stupid and buy large quantities of alcohol, just look at what goes on during schoolies, parents buying UTE loads of alcohol for their little darlings

Edited by simple1

We lived on the Northern Beaches of Sydney (Collared Beach) . There was a small Thai community in the area and extremely supportive of newcomers. I think this may have helped. However the general population was not really anti Asian. I had a friends father who was originally from Manchester and about 80 years old say to me '' I like Chinamen (his words) they're all hard workers and you never see one in Centre link with his hand out''. I thought that pretty much summed it up.

OP: My last post as in danger of hijacking the thread.

Did not say all Australians. Racism and bigotry is a fact of life in Australia by a fair size minority, including towards Asians. Not saying this is an exclusively Australian trait, but not let's get to stary eyed about Australians

Edited by simple1

I worked many years in Investment Banking in London and then returned to the nanny state of Australia and yes it was a shock. Working in the same industry in Sydney with the weird sydney people and their uptight personalities drove me insane. Most of them acted like they had a carrot up their bum and some of them held their noses so high that they would nearly drown in a rain storm. Needless to say I did not last long and decided to move to LOS to be amongst more normal farang....

If they are holding their noses so high how would they drown in a rain storm?

Thought it would be the opposite ... with their noses held high wouldn't it take

more rain for them to drown

@Simple1 your points are valid, one part of culture shock is recognizing the attitude towards racism in your own country. If we live in a society where racism is the norm, then only by travelling are we exposed to the stupidity of it.

That's no comment about Oz though, I don't know enough about Oz in that regard to pass comment.