Returning Expat Culture Shock......

theblether

People are always going on about Nanny State laws in Australia, I lived in Australia for 30 years (departed 2011) & never experienced laws that impacted my quality of life. Please explain what laws you object to & why.

there are loads of examples. This is the latest croc that is going to be legislated by the queensland govt:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-25/new-party-laws/4279930

An 18,000 fine and possible 3 yrs imprisonment if your child has an out of control party. Come on....

In America that will get the SWAT Team called out.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Thais abroad I would imagine that it makes sense they are generally that way. As an expat here in Thailand, I don't give a toss when I meet a Thai here who can speak my language. I'm busy with all manner of emotions and difficulty or social withdrawal or work or wondering why the dogs in my neighborhood are so dam_n noisy starting precisely at midnight or struggling to learn the language of my host country or missing my relatives ect ect ect. Immigrants all over the world have this in common. We are all grumpy, hard working sacrifices to one degree or another.

Yes, agreed, but are we subjected to the same discrimination and bigotry in Thailand as Thais are in the USA or UK or EU or Australia?

I have to disagree with the '' Australia'' part. After my Thai wife had been living in Oz for about 12 years I asked her had anyone ever made any racist comments to her. Her answer, not at all. She said when she first struggled with English in the supermarket people would try and help her. My opinion is that most Australians see Asian immigrants as hard working unlike some others that now call Australia home.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lucky for your wife, my Thai wife who is good looking, when living in Australia, was subjected to racial abuse every month or so. We lived in Sydney and SE QLD. With some exceptions she ended up generally disliking Australians as she just could not understand why people were so rude. Off topic, but personally I believe their is a strong undercurrent of racism and bigotry in Australia.

I've met some immigrants who expressed the same dislike for Australia as well. But funnily enough they liked it enough to take out citizenship! It's ironic hearing a Thai complain about racial abuse perhaps they need to change their own attitude to black folk and indians before complaining about others racism against them.

Edited by Time Traveller

I'm really amazed at the people complaining about the weather in the UK - I guess they just don't know when they are well off, or they are being thrawn and truculent. I've been back to the old country twice this year, and had cracking weather both times; sunny, mild, about 5 - 15 degrees during the day time; obviously not good for swiming in the sea, but pleasant for life about town

Really, what is it about Thailand that attracts whingers? I mean, goodness gracious me, but what kind of a miserable git complains about the weather somewhere else?

SC

Jeez SC, 5 - 15 degrees? Thats freezing cold. That is what the weather here in Perth is like at the moment (winter) and it is miserable.

The weather's not miserable, you are. I'd call that sort of weather brisk.

It was great, being able to go out in the sun without sweating, and I got good use out of my gloves, too.

SC

• Like 2

Yes, agreed, but are we subjected to the same discrimination and bigotry in Thailand as Thais are in the USA or UK or EU or Australia?
I have to disagree with the '' Australia'' part. After my Thai wife had been living in Oz for about 12 years I asked her had anyone ever made any racist comments to her. Her answer, not at all. She said when she first struggled with English in the supermarket people would try and help her. My opinion is that most Australians see Asian immigrants as hard working unlike some others that now call Australia home.

Lucky for your wife, my Thai wife who is good looking, when living in Australia, was subjected to racial abuse every month or so. We lived in Sydney and SE QLD. With some exceptions she ended up generally disliking Australians as she just could not understand why people were so rude. Off topic, but personally I believe their is a strong undercurrent of racism and bigotry in Australia.

I've met some immigrants who expressed the same dislike for Australia as well. But funnily enough they liked it enough to take out citizenship! It's ironic hearing a Thai complain about racial abuse perhaps they need to change their own attitude to black folk and indians before complaining about others racism against them.

OP: based upon your post #90, promise last time!

My wife is an Australian citizen (throughout her life in Australia, always in full time employment, not one cent from Centrelink, unlike 7 million Australians who are recipents of some form of welfare). She took out citizenship as she enjoyed her personal lifestyle in Australia, entirely seperate from liking or otherwise of Australian people. Rather strange argument to excuse racial abuse of Thais in Australia based upon some Thais who are racist or bigoted.

Edited by simple1

My wife is an Australian citizen (throughout her life in Australia, always in full time employment, not one cent from Centrelink, unlike 7 million Australians who are recipents of some form of welfare). She took out citizenship as she enjoyed her personal lifestyle in Australia, entirely seperate from liking or otherwise of Australian people. Rather strange argument to excuse racial abuse of Thais in Australia based upon some Thais who are racist or bigoted.

you could also say it's rather strange to excuse racial abuse of black people in Thailand based upon some Australians who are racist or bigoted. my comment was to offer that most people only hate racism when it's directed against themselves but conveniently ignore when it happens against someone else. And what does welfare have to do with racism?

Edited by Time Traveller

what does welfare have to do with racism?

deleted - as breaking my promise

Edited by simple1

KeyLargo

"Most expats demobilising see it as a positive step, change brining opportunity, the end of good times but also of the hard work and pressure they were assigned to deal with But I've also seen guys sobbing and on one occasion on his knees begging not to be demobilised - This latter group are the guys who have real problems settling in elsewhere, be that at home or at ANother duty post."

GUESTHOUSE, I really enjoyed reading your more informative post here but...

You gotta be kidding me!

On the knees sobbing? I mean, I believe you but why would you want to retain this kind of unstable employee? What, was it a native girl he was leaving behind?

I guess being demobbed just after world war 2 in the Pacific and from Japan in 1945 thru 1955 was the same. Girls are hard to leave behind.

Remember what happened to Red Buttons.

Good novel too.

Oddly enough, the expat I had begging on his knees not to be demobbed was about to be demobbed out of Saudi Arabia - so not the girls and the booze then.

As for why would an organisation want such unstable employee, they of course do not, but assigning people overseas to often remote locations and usually with higher than normal job related stresses will inevitably cause problems for some people.

Its for this reason many MNCs and organisations such as VSO or UN Aid Programs pass staff they are assigning overseas through a pre-assignment assessment and training.

I've mentioned this before, The assessment I went through for my first assignment included Red Flag - Stops to an individual being assigned overseas. These Red Flag Stops included recent significant life changes.

Serious illness in the past two years, recent bereavement and recent divorce - issues which leave us all in a state of vulnerability.

Divorce is coincidently a prelude to many a private expat coming to Thailand - and we often see the resulting mess as guys go straight out of the divorce courts into the candy store.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

KeyLargo

"Most expats demobilising see it as a positive step, change brining opportunity, the end of good times but also of the hard work and pressure they were assigned to deal with But I've also seen guys sobbing and on one occasion on his knees begging not to be demobilised - This latter group are the guys who have real problems settling in elsewhere, be that at home or at ANother duty post."

GUESTHOUSE, I really enjoyed reading your more informative post here but...

You gotta be kidding me!

On the knees sobbing? I mean, I believe you but why would you want to retain this kind of unstable employee? What, was it a native girl he was leaving behind?

I guess being demobbed just after world war 2 in the Pacific and from Japan in 1945 thru 1955 was the same. Girls are hard to leave behind.

Remember what happened to Red Buttons.

Good novel too.

Oddly enough, the expat I had begging on his knees not to be demobbed was about to be demobbed out of Saudi Arabia - so not the girls and the booze then.

As for why would an organisation want such unstable employee, they of course do not, but assigning people overseas to often remote locations and usually with higher than normal job related stresses will inevitably cause problems for some people.

Its for this reason many MNCs and organisations such as VSO or UN Aid Programs pass staff they are assigning overseas through a pre-assignment assessment and training.

I've mentioned this before, The assessment I went through for my first assignment included Red Flag - Stops to an individual being assigned overseas. These Red Flag Stops included recent significant life changes.

Serious illness in the past two years, recent bereavement and recent divorce - issues which leave us all in a state of vulnerability.

Divorce is coincidently a prelude to many a private expat coming to Thailand - and we often see the resulting mess as guys go straight out of the divorce courts into the candy store.

I very much enjoyed your comments, this is a subject that should be interesting to all here.

Also your's were more considered and thoughtful than most.

If we read Toffler's book, Culture Shock, and one other follow up book which I cannot recall at the moment,

there was an example he gave which is very telling about ways in which some people are able to deal with the stress of culture shock, while some are not, and it seems to either be a developmental or hardwired trait which does not change,

Toffler noted that some people will become freaked out, disturbed, by seeing something like a jar of Skippy that is in every way like a regular jar, but is not.

The difference being the packaging and the text all printed in a strange foreign language. He said some people never adjust to seeing this incongruency and remain disturbed and distressed by this pervasive aspect of their new environment.

I noticed this it hand during my move to Montreal to attend McGill, When my girlfriend followed me, she took one look at the Montreal peanut butter and was never the same since. She just could not adjust and remained in a state of heightened stress.

In the cases you describe, I wonder if the company can provide even more support by hiring outside temporary consultants. For example, it would be interesting to know how the more traditional Japanese large corporations, which used to be known for concern for employee welfare and lifetime employment at the same company, handle this challenge.

I am pretty sure they do approach the problem differently.

Thanks for your reply, but like you,

I still do not quite get it.

On the knees begging not to leave Saudi Arabia???

Makes you wonder what this guy had going over there.

And the guys that come here days or weeks after a divorce,

Then I guess their main interest is not the culture and language and natural beauty of Thailand,

The flora and the fauna, either.

It is probably off to the bar in the AM

Off to the bar for lunch,

And so on.

I sort of feel sorry for these young guys.

My days of culture shock are long since over.

Bars and houses of questionable repute are also not of much interest.

It is bird watching for me,

Maybe a trip to the petting zoo.

No more stress here.

Hard to shock too.

• Like 2

I worked many years in Investment Banking in London and then returned to the nanny state of Australia and yes it was a shock. Working in the same industry in Sydney with the weird sydney people and their uptight personalities drove me insane. Most of them acted like they had a carrot up their bum and some of them held their noses so high that they would nearly drown in a rain storm. Needless to say I did not last long and decided to move to LOS to be amongst more normal farang....

I never heard this about Australia, can you develop ?

Aren't they the coolest in the world ? :-)

No. From an Australian who fled here. You don't get a nanny state (and Australia is Head Nanny of the world) without a population that laps up being controlled - and resents those who aren't subject to internal and external pressures to conform. Oz long ago ceased to be the laid back, friendly and laconic place of cultural lore.

I beg to differ on the point, the 12 months i spent in Byron Bay and Nimbin was very relaxed and chilled untill i fell foul of a group of Hara krishnas and was sent to Sydney to ring bells and chant in Kings X.

Eventually the X engulfed me and normal service was resumed.

You carn't fight the X!

Back on topic - It's always crap returning home after an enjoyable, financially rewarding expat adventure.

CCC

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare cool

It's possibly a glib thing to say but once you leave home to do a stint as an expat then you are never the same again. You look at the World through new eyes. I highly recommend it to any young person that has the chance.

• Like 1

It's possibly a glib thing to say but once you leave home to do a stint as an expat then you are never the same again. You look at the World through new eyes. I highly recommend it to any young person that has the chance.

Absolutely!

And, best to head first for ShangHai, DongGuan, ShangHai, BeiJing, and Dalian, to see how a very important 20% of the world lives and thinks.

Doing this will absolutely change you for the better in many ways.

I did it when I was young.

I do not regret a moment of any day I spent in China or in Asia.

I used to look at the world through RoundEyes.

Now I look at the world through new eyes, which I think (and am sure) are less round.

Time to break out the chopsticks and dig in.

• Like 1

Different for the different forms of Expat. For me nothing matters as I am able to live where ever in the world I choose. But to be honest the thought of having to return to Canada one day would make me sick. Dealing with Tax again and then people who think they are so much more than they ever could be. No thanks.

O

I worked many years in Investment Banking in London and then returned to the nanny state of Australia and yes it was a shock. Working in the same industry in Sydney with the weird sydney people and their uptight personalities drove me insane. Most of them acted like they had a carrot up their bum and some of them held their noses so high that they would nearly drown in a rain storm. Needless to say I did not last long and decided to move to LOS to be amongst more normal farang....

No. From an Australian who fled here. You don't get a nanny state (and Australia is Head Nanny of the world) without a population that laps up being controlled - and resents those who aren't subject to internal and external pressures to conform. Oz long ago ceased to be the laid back, friendly and laconic place of cultural lore.

I beg to differ on the point, the 12 months i spent in Byron Bay and Nimbin was very relaxed and chilled untill i fell foul of a group of Hara krishnas and was sent to Sydney to ring bells and chant in Kings X.

You carn't fight the X!

Back on topic - It's always crap returning home after an enjoyable, financially rewarding expat adventure.

CCC

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare cool[/q

uote]

You've started my feet pointing towards mecca!

O

You carn't fight the X!

CCC

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare cool[/q

uote]

You've started my feet pointing towards mecca!

Sorry, but I think this last post of yours has

Reverse Culture Shock.

Or something.

Try holding it up to a mirror,

Might help.

Edited by OldChinaHam

People are always going on about Nanny State laws in Australia, I lived in Australia for 30 years (departed 2011) & never experienced laws that impacted my quality of life. Please explain what laws you object to & why.

Happy Hours and any promotion advertising cheap drinks at bar is illegal in Western Australia.

You cannot open a bar in Perth without first purchasing a license and shutting down an existing bar.

Smoking banned from all indoor venues which led to widespread job losses in the hospitality industry.

Nanny state sin taxes on alcohol and fags mean a pack of fags is $20 and a single bottle of Smirnoff Ice wholesales for $6.

Sunday trading and opening shops after 6pm on weeknights is banned in Perth.

Incandescent light bulbs were banned years ago.

Can't own a water tank at your house without a licence.

Can't clear trees on my own farm to prevent my family being killed in a bushfire because they are native species.

Would you like me to list more?

Australia is a cesspit of nanny-state busybodies who have nothing better to do but mind your business.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 2

Agreed, Australia is an extremely overrated, boring, cultureless, and excessively expensive wasteland that is overflowing with brainwashed materialistic consumers and dole bludging wastes of space, that feel they are entitled to live off the tax dollars of others and do nothing for it. The government is a lacky to the U.S and Australia is turning into another Neo Liberal wonderland sponsored by the 'survival of the fittest' mentality and good ole 'trickle down effect' brought to you by consecutive U.S governments no matter where they sit on the political spectrum.

After living in Thailand for near to a decade I returned to Oz with my family to study for 3 years. Every day, every single day thought about coming back here. Its given me real perspective, something that I really needed, as do some others. Inspite of its many flaws I would rather live here any day. Here are a couple of 'Nanny State' beauties for you:

1)My friend was approached by the council because he and his workmates had organized a weekly 'friendly' football match between his workplace and another. Apparently it had been deemed necessary for them to look into getting some kind of licence as...god forbid someone may get hurt!!!!! A nice little fee would need to be paid of course.

2) My son was attending daycare and it seemed to me they weren't realy doing too much in the way of learning. Ok, I know that daycare isn't school but a little basic teaching cant hurt. I approached the owner of the daycare centre and asked her why I hadn't seen ANY abcs getting taught. Her answer......."we aren't teachers, we're no qualified to teach like that"...I mean..come on....what? are they going to somehow get it wrong?

3) I remember when I was a kid living in England in the late seventies, early eighties that there would often be street parties. One I remember vividly is the queens coronation thingy. Now, one thing that struck me when I arrived back again was the complete absence of streetlife in any way shape or form. I later learnt that you are basically NOT ALLOWED to have a street party any more, even if you live on a quiet street with no traffic...again, some kind of licence has to be bought, an OH & S investigation must be done...rah rah bloody rah.

People have had the life kicked out of them in that country. It felt like a prison to me living there. Its got some really nice beaches etc and for a holiday its probably ok but living there? Sorry I cant afford to pay 800 + dollars a week rent just so I can live in a city that actually has a little culture and life. I would be forced to live in the endless banal suburbs that are spreading like a cancer all over that country....Dave and the kids, barbies with the footy on Shatdee noit, a trip down to the local RSL for happy hour, talking to others about climbing the property ladder, negative gearing.....AAARRGHHH...

NEVER AGAIN!

• Like 2

I am stuck in the rut at the moment YooYung, only my rent is $1,100 per week for a 3 bed 2 bath apartment in the city.

I had to take this apartment because I had no rental history, I had no power bill history, I had no telephone bill history so no proporty managers were interested in me.

I had to go to my employers and ask them to help, so they set me up with a corporate mob who rent to expats (the rent is covered by the company for expats, unfortunately I was blessed with an Australian passport so not classed as an expat, hence I foot the rent bill myself urgh).

To get the phone and internet connected I had to sign a 2 year contract, even though my employment contract is only for 12 months. I had no option, so that means when I leave I will have to pay the final 12 months out.

To get Foxtel I had to sign a 2 year contract, even though my employment contract is only for 12 months. I had no option, so that means when I leave I will have to pay the final 12 months out.

Having tried arguing my case that I will only be here 12 months both Optus and Foxtel said there is nothing they can do, the only option is to sign up for 24 months. Urgh.

Atleast I can use my Indonesian BlackBerry with an Optus pre-paid sim card.

well said.

$1100 per week...TUKY and you have your next electricity bill to look forward to! No worries, just go down to your local and have a schooner of beer for like a minimum of $5 ! HA!

Anyway, I am the only member of my family that didn't take out citizenship after my family emigrated there. After the culture shock of going back for three years I am happy with my decision. I am NOT an Aussie but there certainly are some good things about the place....I just cant think of too many apart from the beaches at the moment.

Hey, if Tony Abbott becomes PM things will get better surely....Ha Ha Ha....

Agreed, Australia is an extremely overrated, boring, cultureless, and excessively expensive wasteland that is overflowing with brainwashed materialistic consumers and dole bludging wastes of space, that feel they are entitled to live off the tax dollars of others and do nothing for it. The government is a lacky to the U.S and Australia is turning into another Neo Liberal wonderland sponsored by the 'survival of the fittest' mentality and good ole 'trickle down effect' brought to you by consecutive U.S governments no matter where they sit on the political spectrum.

After living in Thailand for near to a decade I returned to Oz with my family to study for 3 years. Every day, every single day thought about coming back here. Its given me real perspective, something that I really needed, as do some others. Inspite of its many flaws I would rather live here any day. Here are a couple of 'Nanny State' beauties for you:

1)My friend was approached by the council because he and his workmates had organized a weekly 'friendly' football match between his workplace and another. Apparently it had been deemed necessary for them to look into getting some kind of licence as...god forbid someone may get hurt!!!!! A nice little fee would need to be paid of course.

2) My son was attending daycare and it seemed to me they weren't realy doing too much in the way of learning. Ok, I know that daycare isn't school but a little basic teaching cant hurt. I approached the owner of the daycare centre and asked her why I hadn't seen ANY abcs getting taught. Her answer......."we aren't teachers, we're no qualified to teach like that"...I mean..come on....what? are they going to somehow get it wrong?

3) I remember when I was a kid living in England in the late seventies, early eighties that there would often be street parties. One I remember vividly is the queens coronation thingy. Now, one thing that struck me when I arrived back again was the complete absence of streetlife in any way shape or form. I later learnt that you are basically NOT ALLOWED to have a street party any more, even if you live on a quiet street with no traffic...again, some kind of licence has to be bought, an OH & S investigation must be done...rah rah bloody rah.

People have had the life kicked out of them in that country. It felt like a prison to me living there. Its got some really nice beaches etc and for a holiday its probably ok but living there? Sorry I cant afford to pay 800 + dollars a week rent just so I can live in a city that actually has a little culture and life. I would be forced to live in the endless banal suburbs that are spreading like a cancer all over that country....Dave and the kids, barbies with the footy on Shatdee noit, a trip down to the local RSL for happy hour, talking to others about climbing the property ladder, negative gearing.....AAARRGHHH...

NEVER AGAIN!

You know why insurance requirements are in-place for public amenities? Some of those tough Aussies sue Councils for compensation. e.g. from an injury on a public playing field.

In the case of street parties, police presence is sometimes required due to alcohol fuelled violence. therefore review of arrangements etc

Sounds like the day care person was advising you that they did not have certified staff for teaching kindergarden aged children. If they provided education services by unqualified staff, guarantee they would be exposed to claims by some parents.

Many so called Nanny State rules have been generated by the lack of responsibility/behaviour/blame culture by some Australians..

Edited by simple1

NEVER AGAIN!

You know why insurance requirements are in-place for public amenities? Some of those tough Aussies sue Councils for compensation. e.g. from an injury on a public playing field.

In the case of street parties, police presence is sometimes required due to alcohol fuelled violence. therefore review of arrangements etc

Sounds like the day care person was advising you that they did not have certified staff for teaching kindergarden aged children. If they provided education services by unqualified staff, guarantee they would be exposed to claims by some parents.

Many so called Nanny State rules have been generated by the lack of responsibility/behaviour/blame culture by some Australians..

Yeah, I get that. Its just another example of how the place is turning into an overly litigious Disneyland like America. People just seem to lap it up

• Like 1

NEVER AGAIN!

You are the third I've heard this week to voice such an assessment of a land which many Americans view as being the second greatest paradise to theirs. People also say the level of OZ tolerability has taken a nosedive during the last 20 years.

Maybe the real problem is that Australia is becoming an even more divided society with a wealthy, educated, traveled upper crust which would have no problem paying 800USD per month, or USD8000 per month in HK, for a flat. 800 per month actually is dirt cheap for most cities, you know.

One very nice point about living in Sydney, it is closer to Thailand and SE Asia than is NYC, so this might mean it is easier to travel back and forth, which means less chance of getting bent out of shape and jet lagged, and less chance of racking up enough time in any one place to risk Return Culture Shock.

Never having been, I would like to go, but it might be a shocker, from what you are saying.

800USD per month for a small box, though, sounds pretty good relative to HK, Yokohama, NYC, LA, TPE, ShangHai.

Yep, per week. Mine is $4,400 per month.

Putting aside middleclass welfare payments, that would be more than the average net income for most Australians

Edited by simple1

Where do they charge rent by the week?

And why?

In NYC they charge rent by the day

For flop houses.

In Beijing, HK by the month, and your Sydney rents look cheap comparatively.

Decent flats in HK only 1/3rd the way up the peak have been going for USD10,000 and more for decades.

And those are cheap for HK.

What's the buzz? Tell me what's a-happening.

Tokyo for 40 years has been sky high.

Average rents have finally hit Sydney it seems.

And downsiders are bailing downunder.

Yep, per week. Mine is $4,400 per month.

Putting aside middleclass welfare payments, that would be more than the average net income for most Australians

Tell me about it mate. Really hurts the hip pocket. You should see how much tax I have paid in the last 12 months. Hard to feel good about living in Australia.