Thailand's Transport Minister hails motorcycle taxi to work

webfact

Minister of Transport Hails Motorcycle Taxi To Work

mo.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Images of Transport Minister Chatchart Sittipan riding on motorcycle taxi have surfaced and caused much interest on Thai social network.

Mr. Chatchart has previously vowed to tackle chronic problems in Bangkok′s public transportation system and instructed top officials at his ministry to regularly use public transports in order to see for themselves the woes that so many common Thais have suffered in their daily commutes.

Few weeks ago, he was even photographed taking a public bus from the Government House to catch the flight at Don Mueang Airport, although it was reported he had to switch from bus to car on the way because he was running out of time.

In an interview, Mr. Chatchart explained the story behind the pictures of him on motorcycle taxi. On that day, Mr. Chatchart said, he had a meeting with director of Bangkok Mass Transport Authority (BMTA) at 08.00 and had initially planned to to take the bus there again.

However, he said he quickly realized that he wouldn′t have enough time, so he resorted to the possibly speediest way to get around on Bangkok streets: the orange-clad motorcycle taxi.

According to Mr. Chatchart, he made suggestions to the director of BMTA that he hoped might improve public bus service. He said the measures include rearranging some bus routes to avoid traffic jam.

It is not clear who originally distributed the pictures to the social network, and Mr. Chatchart insisted it was not his doing.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM016UTFOVFl3Tmc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-07-11

Once again , nothing new in this report ,only difference a member of the past "T" party, going about on a motor bike , businessmen / ladies have been doing this for years , the only way to get across town quickly, using baby diapers.coffee1.gif

mototaxi are practical but the drivers chose that job because there is not much to do ...nothing else .... you can see them talking laughing at every soi nearly ...a lazy bunch of people nothing else ... and yes I am using them sometime what a paradox isnt it ?

Being Transport Minister for Bangkok must be a very stressful job.

There are simply too many cars, unless you offer a viable alternative things will only get worse.

The skytrain runs full at rush hour, taxi's have a bad name for cheating and refusing to do their job and use the meter, so it's hard to see how things can improve in the short term.

To make matters worse the tax rebate on cars scheme last year added 1.2 million cars to the road!

Spur of the moment decision, not a photo-op beat up, he had no part in distributing the picture.

Tell me some more fairy stories, grandpa.

You will be suggesting that he was lucky enough to find the only motorcycle taxi driver in Bangkok, with a nice new spare helmet for his passengers next!!!

• Like 1

Hey, atleast he's not out shopping.blink.png

He's getting dirty with the part of the govenment he is charged with.

Thailand needs more like him so I salute him also.

but now lets get to work and improve the transportation system.

• Like 2

This Transport Minister is rapidly stealing all the PR thunder from Yingluck, Chalerm and so on. He should be considered a clear and present danger of usurping the people's favor. Watch out for this boy, he is a contender!

I personally salute Mr. Chatchart for doing these things such as riding the bus and motorcycle taxi. He doesn't have to do them obiously; and I think it shows he is at least being proactive in perhaps setting an example for others to follow. I don't have to ride the bus either but have found I kind of enjoy them to get around in this great city of Bangkok. Just remember; some people will bitch at a picnic. thumbsup.gif

Stop smoking the weed, he did it for the photo op, both times he has failed to get a bus, to his destination, but managed to get his photo taken. Perhaps he needs someone to tell him, if he wants to take a bus, to leave earlier. I think his secretary would have more sense than him.

Not to dispute the service but I see these motorbike taxi drivers squatting to the side of 7-11s drinking beer almost every day and they don't appear to be off work ... just waiting for the rush hour. This is not everywhere; just in congested areas with lots of 7-11s.

It could of course just be something to try to take the spotlight off those in strife.

See this is the problem this lot have now.

When there is someone who does something genuine there will always be suspicion because of what has gone before.

If this minister is for real then great, and the same goes for the new minister of education.

If either of both can get up off their chuff and make a difference, an improvement then fantastic, but.....

There will always be a but until they really prove themselves.

And of course the specter of corruption is always there to add to the but.

Why all the fuss. The PTP are supposed to be in power to get rid of the Amart, yet at every point we see them being treated like the Amart....Minister takes bus,...Minister takes taxi and other such headlines, yes headlines! The President of Uruguay refused to move into the Presidential palace when he was voted in, instead he lives in his old farm house with his wife and drives himself to work everyday in his ancient old battered Volkswagen Beetle. In Thailand the MP's go to night school to do special classes on how to 'rob and thieve from your own people'. If the Minister wants to go to work on a taxi motorbike then good on him, but ditch the photo's and ditch the stand-by limousine.

By the way, have you noticed how new people appear on here who always support everything PTP does and they always have low post counts? Just sayin rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I know Khun (Dr.) Chadchart personally since 2004. He is absolutely 100% a genuine guy and only has the best intentions for Thailand and its people. Obviously in the role he has today he has to deal with a lot of political nonsense.

I have shared many a bottle of Opus One ( check it out, fantastic Californian red wine) with him and discussed his view on Thailand, corruption, Thai culture, etc., etc.

Like most foreign educated well off Thais, he knows very well what is wrong with Thailand and he is one of many who are trying to improve the lot of ALL Thais.

• Like 2