Uk Visas Outsourcing Centre

Looking at the info re postal applications,seems that they will not return your paperwork ect back by post,you have to use a courier service which serves only a few areas in Thailand.I assume that I could send application by post then go to Bangkok several days later to pick up the visa ect,is there a procedure for this .
From Applications made through the postal service
Once the application has been considered passports may be collected from the Visa Application Centre. Alternatively, applicants may opt to have the passports returned by courier to the local GDA agent
So I assume that when submitting the application by post one should specify where one wants to collect the paperwork etc. from. The VAC then notify the applicant when it is ready for collection. It is also possible to Track Your Application. However, to be sure I would suggest contacting them.

I assume that they wont return it all by post due to doubts about the postal system in remote areas.

bkk mike posted:

They seem efficient enough, just unable to cope with the number of applications.
Although based on the experience I quoted to phil_ne_uk, this seems to have settled down now. The person I quoted went on May 12th., when did you go?
I'm just pointing out that what they're counting doesn't give a true picture...
And I'm just asking why you think that and what possible reason would the embassy have for distorting the figures.
39938 Accepted...

(39938 / 43511) * 100 = 91.7%

91.7% + 5.9% != 100%

Government statistics are misleading. Especially UK government statistics where people are trying to hit a "target".

Lies, damned lies and statistics! Agree. However, to the best of my knowledge, there are no targets for visa applications, certainly no quota. The 'missing' applications are not counted as refusals for the simple reason that they have not been refused. They have either been withdrawn, are part of a multiple application or are awaiting a decision.
I didn't believe it at the time - but what can you do?
As Vinny said "The English (maybe Welsh) person behind the counter was mistaken. I know some people who were recently issued with 10-year UK visit visas by the British Embassy in Bangkok. However, they had visited the UK many times previously." As has your mother-in-law. I again suggest contacting UK visas, or even your MP, to ask why they would not issue her a 10 year visa.
(even Family Visit visas can no longer be appealed).
What!? Where did you see that? Can you provide a link. The embassy website is still saying
Certain categories of visa have the right of appeal. If you have the right of appeal this will be stated in your written notice of refusal. Family visitors, settlement applications and students who apply to spend more than six months in the UK - among others - have the right of appeal. For more detailed information go to Refusals and appeals.

(My emphasis)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying (!) to keep an eye on what is ACTUALLY happening at the new centre via this thread (not easy at the moment!), I am probably being naive!, but I am hoping a lot of the problems are from setting up a new operation from scratch and perhaps from also inheriting a large backlog.

The thing I do not really understand (unless I have again misread something!!) is why someone cannot put an application together, with supporting Docs and a cheque and mail it in to the Embassy / Centre or just drop everything off by Hand. 5 Minutes in and out - without all this seemingly endless queuing and re-queuing. (I know we are British, but........... :D )

If it takes an extra week to process an application by mail or hand or you run the risk of a refusal cos you forget something that they would have pointed out in person then so be it.

Oh, and why cannot they run a "fast track" service, for those with money to burn? :o

What!? Where did you see that? Can you provide a link.

That is certainly the proposal in the latest raft of immigration legisaltion, but I'm not sure if it has become law, yet. I'll check up on it.

Scouse.

See also Explanatory Notes of the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Bill 2005:

Clause 4: Entry clearance

20. Sections 88A, 90 and 91 of the 2002 Act restrict rights of appeal against refusal of entry clearance in respect of some visitors and students and categories of case specified in an order of the Secretary of State. Clause 3 substitutes for these sections one which limits all appeals against refusal of entry clearance to limited grounds (human rights and race discrimination), with the exception of those in the categories listed. The categories which retain a full right of appeal are family visitors and people wishing to join dependents in the United Kingdom (new Section 88A(1)). Provision is also made for regulations which will define in detail the relationships, degree of dependency and circumstances which count for these categories. In particular, the regulations may specify that the UK sponsor should be lawfully settled here, or that the individuals involved should have resided together for a certain length of time (new Section 88A(2). The Secretary of State may, as before, make an order specifying types of entry clearance refusal made on grounds derived from prescriptive provisions of the immigration rules where the right of appeal is to be limited (new Section 88A(3)). A right of appeal remains in all cases on both human rights and race discrimination grounds (new Section 88A(4)).

Does Scouse or anyone know if it is possible to apply by post via VFS for a settlement visa if you (ie my Thai spouse and I) are currently outside Thailand? I believe that this was possible before at the UK Embassy in order to get an interview date, but is it possible now? Thanks for any thoughts.

I don't know for sure, but it seems that the embassy is now trying to decide as many applications as possible on the papers alone, so I would think that a postal application from outside of Thailand/Laos/Cambodia will now result in a curt knockback.

Scouse.

For you information regards Courier/postal applications

Well i think the whole thing is a shambles.

My wife lives up North and has been getting ready all the paperwork for a VV

We found that you cannot get the passport back with visa on the same day anymore.

A wait of 3 or 4 days now just to find out how things have gone

OK if you live in Bangkok but my wife will need to travel back home again or pay the heady hotel prices in Bangkok.

Thus we decided to go the courier route and pay their fee.

Udon Thani is the courier base for the North East area for this service.

My wife turns up,all paperwork in hand .Bankers drafts etc only to be told they don't provide this service anymore.

Whats all this ( anymore ),i thought this only just got started.

The lady there tried her best to be helpful and looked through everything to see if things were in order.

Next idea.The postal route.Think ,why not with secure delivery and signature the other end.So we go for that.Posted about ten days ago.

We don't hear a thing but later find that everything has been returned not to the home address but the despatching post office awaiting our collection 8 days ago.No phone call to advise of this

There was a covering note stating that postal application are not accepted and my wife would need to apply in person in Bangkok.

For all this improved service we are paying an extra 455 Baht.Maybe they will waive the visa fees for to make up for this unorganised chaos.

hwest

There was a covering note stating that postal application are not accepted and my wife would need to apply in person in Bangkok.
I find your tale incredible!

The information on the website says that the postal service and courier service are still working.

I suggest that you contact them to find out what is going on.

It would be great help to others if you could post their reply.

Update on my previous post

I have telephoned both VFS in Bangkok and the courier service in Udon Thani to ask why they are not acceptng postal/courier applications.

VFS has said that postal applications only started 5 days ago and is fully functional now.

The courier service is now being offered as of two days ago,

If only they had some indication of this on their website it would have made matters less stressful for my better half.

H

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't believe it at the time - but what can you do?
As Vinny said "The English (maybe Welsh) person behind the counter was mistaken. I know some people who were recently issued with 10-year UK visit visas by the British Embassy in Bangkok. However, they had visited the UK many times previously." As has your mother-in-law. I again suggest contacting UK visas, or even your MP, to ask why they would not issue her a 10 year visa.
What!? Where did you see that? Can you provide a link. The embassy website is still saying
Certain categories of visa have the right of appeal. If you have the right of appeal this will be stated in your written notice of refusal. Family visitors, settlement applications and students who apply to spend more than six months in the UK - among others - have the right of appeal. For more detailed information go to Refusals and appeals.

(My emphasis)

Sorry - I would swear blind that they changed the rules a couple of years ago on the family visit visas. Obviously I'm mistaken.

However I am still a bit pissed off as my mother-in-law got ANOTHER two year visa from a ten-year visa application.