Thai language for beginner

Dave8237

HI

After looking through lots of topics can't find info I am after.......lots of things go off on a tangent.

Right I am here in Bangkok, on extension to stay based on marriage. I am English.

I am trying to find a school which will do a small Thai language course for a beginner, just to hold small conversations, numbers, days of week ect ect,

I have seen on Internet many many schools, one which takes my fancy is AAA Patumwan district.

1. Anyone with knowledge of this school?

2. Has anyone used a school recently, last six months, for Thai language (basic) in Bangkok, preferably, bearish to MRT or BTS stations?

3. Don't need a long course something lasting a month, all week, few days a week, morning or afternoon.

My wife is trying to teach, but as they say never teach a spouse or relative to drive, ect,.....

So any recent experiences greatly recievied.

I don't know anything about AAA, other than it uses the method originally developed by Union and is now used by UTL, Piammitr and a few others.

This method places very little emphasis upon speaking, particularly at the lower levels, and there's very little correction of pronunciation (based upon my experience at UTL). If AAA is the same as UTL, it requires you to attend five days a week, either mornings or afternoons (and there's homework almost every day which takes another hour or so).

I'd also add that if you have no conversational Thai at the moment you'd struggle there and probably have to repeat the early levels at least once.

In short, this is a serious approach, requiring a big commitment. From what you write, I suspect this is not the right course for you.

Thanks AyG, the commitment is not a problem, as I don't work, so time spending at school or homework no issue.

But as you said with little conversational Thai, I am going to have problems.........

It seems to difficult in Thailand to find a school or company who can take someone from the early stages.

Oh well might invest in a Rosetta Stone package.....

Thanks for the information

Hi Dave,

Have you considered taking private lessons? I think this might be the best solution until you feel confident enough to take group classes.

I signed up for the Thammasat Basic Thai course, but if there aren't enough people to attend, I will probably be taking the AAA 60-hour intensive class in August. If you want I can tell you how hard the classes will be as I am myself a beginner. And as far as I understand, AAA also offers a free observational class.

Edited by Michael S

• 3 months later...
I have noticed this gaping hole in the market. It is very hard to find a Thai teacher that can effectively teach to the needs of a westerner (western languages aren't tonal), especially a westerner with no foundation in Thai or other Asian languages.

Thus, I have decided to throw my hat in the ring.

A little bit about me:

I was a research scientist in the USA but I become burned-out. I wanted to immerse myself in a cultural experience other than my own, to learn what it is like to live as another nationality, rather than just be a long-term tourist.

Thus, during my over 7 years in Thailand, I avoided tourist traps and expat communities, in general, so to immerse myself in Thai language and culture.

I originally lived in Isaan to study Buddhism and then indigenous herbs (in the South as a professor of Chemistry at Thaksin University, where all the memos and such were in Thai). I have been so successful in my goals that I occasionally must pause to think of a 'big word' while speaking English.

Thus, I am fluent in written and spoken Thai. I can speak a fair amount of Issan/Lao as well as some Southern Thai too.

I can explain the 'eccentricities' of Thai to a western student more clearly than most Thai teachers (being that I am a westerner) but my pronunciation/tone is correct, so locals won't cock their head in confusion when you talk to them...and at a reasonable price.

If you want more information, send me a PM.

Cheers,

doc