Crossing to Laos, from Kalasin, only cross and return

pillenwerfer

I have been asked to accompany someone (a Thai) to travel to Laos just for a passport stamp.

I live in Bangkok, so would travel to Khon Kaen ? to collect her.

Her sponsor (son in law) is paying all expenses, and is generous to a fault.

I am not looking to make any money from him, but no expense barred, what is most

comfortable and easiest way to do this please ?

If you don't have a car, then the best way is to take a bus from Morchit Mai bus terminal to Khon Kaen, meet your friend there, then get a bus direct to Vientiane (Leaves at 7:45am or around 12:30ish from the air conditioned bus terminal). There are also a tonne of buses to Udon or Nong Khai if those times aren't good for you, although constantly switching buses isn't that convenient.

Cost will be around 1000฿ each way from

BKK to Vientiane, give or take a little (+around 1000-1500 for visa on arrival when you get to Lao)

Another way is for you to take the very comfortable NakhonChai Air bus from Mochit -- they have their own very nice separate terminal -- to Khon Kaen. I would then arrange (or have pre-arranged) a rental car with a driver to take you to the bridge at Nong Khai and then drive you back to Khon Kaen. Probably around 1500 + fuel for the car + driver. Then you can return to BKK at your leisure.

Of course, you can always fly ThaiAir BKK - KKC -BKK but the 6 hour bus ride is pleasant enough and they leave every half hour so so door-to-door time is close to the same.

while there may be many I have used this one -- right near Kosa hotel -- Telephone number in link:

http://www.farangfriendly.com/khon-kaen/mueang-khon-kaen/car-rental-leasing/narujee-car-rent-khon-kaen-city

Note that if you want to stay in Laos instead of just crossing over and returning that would change the one-day rental car situation.

Edited by JLCrab

If someone eles is paying, I would recommend the follwing website....

http://www.savanvegas.com/

Several choices as to transportation....

As someone eles warned, besure to obtain a "ReEntry Permit" from your Thai Immigration Office prior to leaving... Thus avoiding having to change your current "Permitted to Stay Until" stamp...

Pianoman