donating my remains to CMU medical school

jarhead50200

You might enjoy the book Stiff by Mary Roach. It's a fascinating read on what really happens to cadavers. Crash test dummies, police forensics to grow maggots in etc. NOt suggesting you don't donate, it's just a very good and factual read.

• Like 1

Many years ago, shortly after I came to live in BKK, i did just that.

I went to the Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, corner Rama IV and Wireless, in front of the Lumpini Park. MRT Silom station.

Took passport, a couple ID photos, went to some office on the campus (have to ask) and, voilà, I got issued a "corpse' donor card on the spot.

Note that they'll collect your corpse only in Metro BKK. Too costly for them to collect elsewhere in LOS.

And after the med sttudents have dissected you in all ways possible your remains will be incinerated, Budhist style, on the hospital grounds.

Not only I believe in making myself useful to medical science after death but the thought of having pretty female Thai med students hovering over me with their scalpels amuses me ...

A very last way to enjoy LOS !!

Thank goodness you continued on there. For a moment I thought you'd come back to tell us.

(Seriously though, thanks for the info)

What if you're in hospital "just hanging on" and they need something you've got that might be of use to someone else who may be in a position to PAY? Do you reckon you've got a good chance of recovering???

What if you're in hospital "just hanging on" and they need something you've got that might be of use to someone else who may be in a position to PAY? Do you reckon you've got a good chance of recovering???

Gotta' admit; this occurred to me, too.

"is there a building number?"

I do not know, but when and if you find one,

Be sure to print it on your toe tag,

And then tag your toe,

Whenever you feel as if you might suddenly be dying.

Call a doctor, find out if you might live.

If the doc says yes, you'll live,

Then remove the toe tag,

And make merry.

If the hospital says they will pay you money for your body, and advance it to you before you die, then let me know because I will do what you are doing.

Thank you.

Wishing you a long life, without ever being hit by an ambulance.

Theposted Link explains well, but to "how to find it?", go along path in westerly direction from lumpini intersection, after about 200 metres go into the hospital complex and look on your right for Red Cross Office. Interestingly, many Thais are donating their remains, I always thought that Asians, especially chinese were loath to do this.

Google Earth will give you an excellent view.

Theposted Link explains well, but to "how to find it?", go along path in westerly direction from lumpini intersection, after about 200 metres go into the hospital complex and look on your right for Red Cross Office. Interestingly, many Thais are donating their remains, I always thought that Asians, especially chinese were loath to do this.

Google Earth will give you an excellent view.

Yes, you are correct that Asians, especially chinese were loath to do this.

Even organ donation to save another's life after the donor dies is really comparatively rare.

They want the integrity of the body when it is put in an urn, and they also enjoy feasting while sweeping tombs and washing bones.

Great custom by the way.

But organ donation is very difficult to encourage successfully.

Attitudes are changing gradually.

I asked a simple question on how to make arrangements to donate my remains for the medical university, this question would be answered by those have had this experience, some of the replies have nothing to do with the question, in fact some of these replies are pretty bizarre. you might think you are being cute and entertaining but actually the jokesters are coming across like you are sick and depraved. my primary concerns are that my family is not burdened with the costs involved with a person dying. maybe you have no family or you don't care about your family. I just want to hear from people who have done this, the location at the University Hospital, a building number, directions, etc. that is all I asked for. if you cant answer those questions then don't waste the electricity to reply.

While I appreciate the posters concern for his family I have to admit my wife would fight tooth and nail to have my body cremated in a Buddhist manor,

To relieve her of expenses I have set up a joint bank account with more than enough money to do the job.

While I appreciate the posters concern for his family I have to admit my wife would fight tooth and nail to have my body cremated in a Buddhist manor,

To relieve her of expenses I have set up a joint bank account with more than enough money to do the job.

You can set it up to have a Buddhist cremation after they use the body for about a year, that is the usual way.

That's a good question. Check out this recent article:

http://www.naturalnews.com/041152_transplant_patients_organ_harvesting_presumed_consent.html

I'm personally going for the Thai-style 3 day funeral and cremation. I don't want anybody pulling spare parts out of this slowly rusting body until I'm sure the engine has quit for good, if you get my drift.