FLIES. its a NIGHTMARE! How to stop?

thelongshoot

Ahh man.... I have no idea what is going on but moved into a new house and its like a hotel for flies. Its a nice big house, clean, not old, and the mrs seems to spend most of the time cleaning so its not a hygene thing. Plus my mate who lives around the corner says he has the same issue and its a recent thing.

There must be 100 of them in or around the house, As I write this there are about 20 of them just walking around on the lounge floor. They gather in little mobs and fly away when you get up and startle them.

Im constantly waving my arms around swatting them away and its driving me nuts!

I spent 3000 baht on a nice mosquito black hole thing that the bloke said works for flies also. It dosent. Neither does the electric zapper thing with a blue light that cost 1500 baht. Im too bloody slow to swat them and they dont annoy my mrs half as much as they do me, so she only occasionaly swats them.

Fly spray no good. Kills them for a while but reinforcments arive in 10 mins and i have a dog so dont like too much toxic spray kicking about.

Any tips? Any machine out there i can buy? They are pissing me off so much i would even say money is no object.

Apart from this - why the hell are there so many of them?

• Like 1

Ahh man.... I have no idea what is going on but moved into a new house and its like a hotel for flies.  Its a nice big house, clean, not old, and the mrs seems to spend most of the time cleaning so its not a hygene thing.  Plus my mate who lives around the corner says he has the same issue and its a recent thing.

There must be 100 of them in or around the house,  As I write this there are about 20 of them just walking around on the lounge floor.  They gather in little mobs and fly away when you get up and startle them.

Im constantly waving my arms around swatting them away and its driving me nuts!

I spent 3000 baht on a nice mosquito black hole thing that the bloke said works for flies also.  It dosent.  Neither does the electric zapper thing with a blue light that cost 1500 baht.  Im too bloody slow to swat them and they dont annoy my mrs half as much as they do me, so she only occasionaly swats them.

Fly spray no good.  Kills them for a while but reinforcments arive in 10 mins and i have a dog so dont like too much toxic spray kicking about.

Any tips?  Any machine out there i can buy?  They are pissing me off so much i would even say money is no object.

Apart from this - why the hell are there so many of them?

There is an old Thai technic ; find some empty plastic bottles (1.5 liters, pepsi or coke bottles are fine) remove all stickers , wash thoroughly, fill with plain water and place them in and around your place. I saw this so many times here and asked an old lady what purpose it serves and she told me this technic works fine with common flies.

Ahhh... The great Aussie Salute !!!

Yep... I have noticed more flies buzzing about than usual....

Ive also noticed more lazy Thais dumping their garbage on the side of roads and more Soi Dogs being fed by do gooders, tearing into garbage bins...

• Like 1

I have lived here now for many years. I too cannot tolerate fries and bugs in the house. We never have flies inside. The very first thing I did was to screen all windows large and small.

Do what most Thais don't , KEEP THE DOORS CLOSED !

One of the most important things I did was spend about 5000 baht and install a garbage disposer. Many Thais put their food scraps in bowls outside for the dogs and chickens! NEVER LEAVE FOOD OUTSIDE !

I have 4 cats I never leave their food out for the flies and critters. The cats eat 2 times a day and then their uneaten food is put away, except for dry food .

To try to control the mosquitoes we have removed all standing water that has gathered from the rains

good luckwai2.gif

• Like 1

back on the farm we got a large cardboard box, cut the top off it insert a bright light in the bottom then plaster the inside of the box with heavy machine grease. the bugs are attracted to the light and get stuck in the grease. you could probably get the whole house fitted with fly screens for about 10000 baht, worth it if your staying a while.

They come and go here, Many for a day or two and then gone. I tried the fly traps made out of plastic bottles. Didn't work. I tried putting just about everything I could think of from sugar water to chicken meat in them-- they were not interested ( I thought about dog shit--but naa). They didn't seem to be attracted to anything in particular. They just seem to hang around. There is a fly bait on the market, sold in feed stores in the States. Don't know if it can be had here. THAT really works.

I live up in Isaan. Firstly this thing with plastic bottles filled with just water seems to be a popular solution.... But is it really that great????

Up here amongst people, they hang these waterfilled 1,5l filled with water on the gates mostly because to keep the dogs away from peeing in their territory just there..... When seeing that amount of water, that gives the dog a hint that he is not needed just here, go pee somewhere else...

I agree with what some of you guys already has said, and that is that if you have flies you do also have dirt laying around, same goes for ants.. I have seen thai clean, and that kind of cleaning is completely different from western cleaning.... We call it in Sweden "Eye-servant-cleaning, meaning that the cleaning only look good from a distance, but when checking it up there is a lot of dirt.... One wet towel and sweep the whole dam_n foor in one sweap without changing the water..... They just sweap the shit from one part of the room to another part of it....

So I think that there must be dirt and NOT so cleaned areas in the house.... My wife, not saying yours, is preferring to use the chalk instead of cleaning... We have sometimes a LOT of chalk here.. hahaha..

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

Even when I rented, I installed screens on the rental! First I had the landlord give written permission for me to do so and the right for me to keep my screens when I left. Before I moved in and signed a lease.

When I built my house we built the windows and doors to the same specifications as the size of the screens, The hardest part to that was to have my Thai neighbors and family to close the doors, it took a while but open doors are no longer a problem, I also use fly paper in the outside kitchen to control flies, it looks unsightly but very effective and after getting rid of the first hordes of flies now with so few flies stuck to them they do not look so bad.

We also placed a garbage can with a proper lid, in which to place the garbage and take it to the garbage bin in front of the house every night. We have the problem mostly under control, but the whole family must work together to effectively control our fly problem.

Cheers:smile.png

• Like 1

Just squat down and park a nice brown swiss roll in the middle of your floor. The flies will only go to this. When it is all consumed, just squat and repeat.

Its cheap, effective and you won't run out of supplies of swiss roll. If you are a beer drinker, best to get the wife to make the deposit. You don't want to make a mess after all.

Good luck.

Even when I rented, I installed screens on the rental! First I had the landlord give written permission for me to do so and the right for me to keep my screens when I left. Before I moved in and signed a lease.

When I built my house we built the windows and doors to the same specifications as the size of the screens, The hardest part to that was to have my Thai neighbors and family to close the doors, it took a while but open doors are no longer a problem, I also use fly paper in the outside kitchen to control flies, it looks unsightly but very effective and after getting rid of the first hordes of flies now with so few flies stuck to them they do not look so bad.

We also placed a garbage can with a proper lid, in which to place the garbage and take it to the garbage bin in front of the house every night. We have the problem mostly under control, but the whole family must work together to effectively control our fly problem.

Cheers:smile.png

I agree that screens are the answer. I had mine put in as soon as I bought the house, and we get very, very few insects inside. The odd fly that does get in usually flys in when we're coming in or going out. Don't have any mosquitos either.

They come and go here, Many for a day or two and then gone. I tried the fly traps made out of plastic bottles. Didn't work. I tried putting just about everything I could think of from sugar water to chicken meat in them-- they were not interested ( I thought about dog shit--but naa). They didn't seem to be attracted to anything in particular. They just seem to hang around. There is a fly bait on the market, sold in feed stores in the States. Don't know if it can be had here. THAT really works.

Just about the best bait for the traps is over-ripe mango. The only thing that the flies seem to prefer is whatever I am eating at any particular time!!

Do you have a cesspit? That could be the answer.

If no cesspit obviously ignore this smile.png

"If no cesspit obviously ignore this smile.png" Great Saturday morning laugh. Thanks.

Not sure how effective this is but it sounds fairly easy and if it fails you can eat the basil.

There are about a million kinds of basil and new varieties being introduced all the time. Basil is a beautiful fragrant plant that grows easily in most climates. It even tolerates the dry, Texas heat pretty well.

Most people know fresh basil is delicious in pesto, tomato based dishes, and salads but did you also know that it is one of the best ways to keep flies out of your house? Just plant basil next to the doors, use as a foundation planting mixed in with your flowers, or plant in containers. The flies will stay far away.

You can grow basil in containers by your picnic table or on your patio and cut a nice size bunch of it to decorate the blanket with when you go to a remote picnic spot. As an added bonus, mosquitoes don't like it either. Choose your favorite, all the basil that I have tried works equally as well.

Edited by Suradit69

Put a couple dozen gecko's in your place...that'll do it.

Or you can get one of those CO2 powered pistols which

shoot 3mm plastic balls and have a go...just watch out

for your pets and the missus.