Can a Philipino Maeban work in a private residence without a Work Permit?

A friend tried to employ one and failed.

The girl did 2 Mae Sai runs (had to pay tea money as well apparently) and then went to HK to work as it was too difficult here.

It was 4 years ago so maybe better now, or worse?

I think it would be possible now days. My Thai friend has a permit to bring in 50,000 Sri Lankans to work here in various occupations including household staff. They speak excellent English and a married couple would run at about Bt17,000 a month

I'm not sure ASEAN will do what you all expect regarding labour. Last time I looked at the proposed legislation (which Thailand had not ratified at the time) it was freedom of movement in employment in selected occupations only.

• Like 1

I'm not sure ASEAN will do what you all expect regarding labour. Last time I looked at the proposed legislation (which Thailand had not ratified at the time) it was freedom of movement in employment in selected occupations only.

I expecte that ,and not a free for all .If it was a free for all millions of Cambodians and Burmese would flood into Thailand .

I think it would be possible now days. My Thai friend has a permit to bring in 50,000 Sri Lankans to work here in various occupations including household staff. They speak excellent English and a married couple would run at about Bt17,000 a month

50,000 ....?? Wow..! that's amazing....! Are these people only allowed to work for him..? Or Is he an employment agency and places them in various companies and / or households..? That would be great

I'm pretty sure a work permit would be required. Which needs to be arranged by a company. An individual can not do this.

One problem you could run into is somebody turning you in to immigration. As you know, not an uncommon occurrence here.

I think you'll do better with this over in the Jobs forum. So let's move the topic over there.

Mae baan does not mean housewife, it means housekeeper. We just got work permits for a Burmese mae baan and a Burmese gardener. I would expect that it would be similar for a Filipina. An individual, not a company, can indeed do this. However, I am told that it has to be a Thai employer---a foriegner cannot legally apply for a work permit for a foriegn housekeeper

Mae baan does not mean housewife, it means housekeeper. We just got work permits for a Burmese mae baan and a Burmese gardener. I would expect that it would be similar for a Filipina. An individual, not a company, can indeed do this. However, I am told that it has to be a Thai employer---a foriegner cannot legally apply for a work permit for a foriegn housekeeper

Wifey says mae baan could mean housewife or housekeeper. Depends on the context I guess.

Wifey also says our neighbor's Burmese maid has a work permit. The Thai wife got it, but she doesn't think foreigners can get a work permit for them. A work permit is absolutely required. A few of the neighbors here have Burmese maids who do not have work permits, but they know the risk. If somebody gets mad at them, they could have immigration give them a visit.

And of course a company can get a work permit for an individual. The one neighbor who has a Burmese maid without a work permit now, got their last maid from a company who handled the permit. A bit more expensive to do this obviously, but at least it's legal.

Whew....

so a burmese/pinoy girlfriends of farang would need a workpermit?- be about right for thailand i guess, but the farang couldnt get it for her!

only way i can see myself having a gf in thailand. no i dont want to live in burma or philipines.

Edited by requiredinfo

the Philippines do not enjoy the Thai regulations "bordering country" meaning work permit possible for Burmese, Laotian and Cambodian citizens.

Yes those kinds of work permits are available for Burmese, Cambodians and Lao. They do not apply to Filipinos or other members of ASEAN and AFAIK the AEC will be about the flow of "skilled labor" between nations not just everyone.

I don't think that privilege will be extended to maids. Only professional employees.

Yes.

Under MRAs, ASEAN members have agreed on the free flow of professional-level labor in seven fields, namely engineering, architectural, surveying, nursing, medical, dental, and accounting services. For the tourism industry, skilled workers must register their profession, or obtain job certification, or pass specific job tests of the host nation. They must also obtain a work permit from the host country and comply with related rules and regulations.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_news.php?id=6796&a=3

recently the press announced that Singapore was kicking all the Thai labourers out and replacing them with Bangladeshis. reason Thai drunkenness and fighting. note bangladesh isnt asean. seems they all hate each other. come to think of it if i was doing the employing bangladeshis would be my choice for laborers too:) Malaysia tried Bangladeshis ( again in preference to aseans) a while back but found they were out competing the native Malays in the woman department, so they halted that quick smart. lol.

It is illegal no matter if she works for private person or an individual.

It is not possible for a private person to get her WP and even if you had a company, you would need to add 2 million capital per foreigner and have 4 thai employees per foreigner.

However, even if someone informed on you, its a really hard case to prove, because she could be a friend living with you, and helping out with house chores.

I do not think i have read or heard any private individual being raided or charged, because again, very hard to prove she/he is actually working inside the house, unless he/she gives a statement confirming it, but doubt anyone would give a statement because it puts them into hot water as well.

• Like 1

I think you'd have to confirm this with your friend, as there simply is no possibility in the current legal framework to import such a large workforce from Sri Lanka.

Sri Lankans do need regular work permits applied for by registered companies and fall under the 1 foreigner/4 Thai employees ratio.

The only exceptions are Laos, Burma and Cambodia, where there are special agreements to allow for easy work permit registration, mainly to alleviate a shortage in labor in certain sectors (construction, fishing,...).

So be careful with giving information which might lead people to think they can easily get work permits for Filipino's and other Asian nationalities, only to afterwards find out it is not possible.

Thank you ... I am clear on this now ... too bad because she looked liked a really great lady compared to the umteenth I have had in the past 6 years sad.png

Thank you ... I am clear on this now ... too bad because she looked liked a really great lady compared to the umteenth I have had in the past 6 years sad.png

Wifey says mae baan could mean housewife or housekeeper. Depends on the context I guess.

Wifey also says our neighbor's Burmese maid has a work permit. The Thai wife got it, but she doesn't think foreigners can get a work permit for them. A work permit is absolutely required. A few of the neighbors here have Burmese maids who do not have work permits, but they know the risk. If somebody gets mad at them, they could have immigration give them a visit.

And of course a company can get a work permit for an individual. The one neighbor who has a Burmese maid without a work permit now, got their last maid from a company who handled the permit. A bit more expensive to do this obviously, but at least it's legal.

Whew....

That is good to know ... May I ask you if it would be possible to find out the contacts for this Company ...?? I would really appreciate it /// And if you can't no sweat .. ! I understand

• Like 1

Whew....

That is good to know ... May I ask you if it would be possible to find out the contacts for this Company ...?? I would really appreciate it /// And if you can't no sweat .. ! I understand

I'll try. The one neighbor seems to be in England with her husband right now. Should be back in a few weeks.

Wifey says they have gotten several maids from this company. I'll try to get the details.

rolleyes.gif A good 30 years ago I had a Thai Chinese friend whose family ran a guesthouse. he used to (legally I guess) bring in Chinese maids direct from China to work as cleaning staff and cooks in his guest house.

he as a Thai got them Work Permits, but I don't think that would be possible for a foreigner to do.

My wife thinks there's a place right across from Foodland that helps with jobs. She's pretty sure they also deal in maids, but she thinks they'd be Thai job seekers mainly. Might be worth a shot.

Foodland Pattaya, that is.