Riverwatch 2013

Greenside

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought the same thing. It seems like this new control structure is nothing more than a series of gates that will allow the water to be held back in the downtown area. In my rides around Chiang Mai I have seen several water works projects, that to me, seem to serve little to no purpose. These are scams to get government monies.

That's downstream from Nong Hoi and the bridge over Mahidol Road. I wonder exactly how it's going to prevent flooding in town?

I really have no idea what their plans may be but I would have thought that the gates would at least allow some sort of control of floodwaters from upstream?

That said,my knowledge of such things on a scale of 1 to 10 would probably be in the negative!

Lets break this down to basic rocket science

Accept the fact the river runs to a depth at a given spot below/past/South of the city......

If you put in a dam or floodgate, it will not make the river dept run lower at the same point vs no dam being built

If you put in a dam or floodgate, you can hold back any water up river that hasn't reached the dam yet

When it rains up river, the river level is prone to rise

If you close the gates at the dam it will probably mean the river will be higher in the city and can cause flooding

Maybe if you want to hold back the flood waters , a dam would be better built upriver, or north of the city.

But then again this is Thailand and that may not be the case

.....or it may not be as financially advantagous to certain folks to do that.

Take this all with a grain of salt

and some chicken fried steak

Edited by Gonzo the Face

We had a plumber who seemed sure that the water from our septic tank would run uphill to the soakaway. You really would have thought that he'd have come across the issue before, but I bet that even digging up a buried 1200L tank and relaying 30m of pipe won't change his conviction that somehow I was to blame.

That installation south of the city must be for some other purpose.

• Like 1

re

That's downstream from Nong Hoi and the bridge over Mahidol Road. I wonder exactly how it's going to prevent flooding in town?

it wont but his will for sure sad.png

pic 1 on the 7th of feb this year the last of the footbridge was demolished

pic 2 in early march they had done nothing about re building it or removing the road they built across the river

pic 3 four days ago it was about a foot below the raod

pic 4 three days ago it had risen 6 to 8 inches and was swirling round it

pic 5 this morning it was over the top sad.png

now on 20 september 05 there was nothing in the way and the river level got to pics 5 and 6

so unless they get the thing out of the way

quickly

i think floods in downtown chiang mai are a

almost a certainty this year sad.png

dave2

ps .. it may be too dangerous to try and do it now for the driver of a digger sad.png

post-42592-0-81364300-1373623965_thumb.j

post-42592-0-05820900-1373623992_thumb.j

post-42592-0-50404500-1373624022_thumb.j

post-42592-0-61480400-1373624047_thumb.j

post-42592-0-87378800-1373624076_thumb.j

post-42592-0-42051700-1373624102_thumb.j

post-42592-0-75748000-1373624130_thumb.j

• Like 1

In the past couple of times when there has been flooding in Chiang Mai this house ( near the bridge over the 121)toward Global House has always been a good indicator. If the water level was up to or above the 3rd step from the top ( mid left of the picture) then flooding was imminent.

I have twice seen the water well up the lawn during the very worst. Currently quite a few metres to go.

post-51-0-59883100-1373697273_thumb.jpg

The gates you see in the picture above actually have lots of boat propellers below the water surface pumping the water away from Chiang Mai and past Bangkok as fast as possible, preventing flooding in all locations.

Nice idea! What's going to happen there when the river is chucking 400+ cubic metres at it, I wonder?

The gates you see in the picture above actually have lots of boat propellers below the water surface pumping the water away from Chiang Mai and past Bangkok as fast as possible, preventing flooding in all locations.

Nice idea!  What's going to happen there when the river is chucking 400+ cubic metres at it, I wonder?

Well then the other benefit comes in! You see, if you look at river flow data, as the rate of water flow increases, the chances of flooding increases. By closing the gates, you can significantly reduce the volume of water/second and thus prevent flooding in Chiangmai.

Genius!

In all seriousness, those gates can do nothing but increase the chances of a flood. Even with them fully open, flow will be significantly restricted. I have no idea why they are there.

Sent from my Oppo U7011 Gemini

Because it replaces a fixed dam-like structure that obstructed the water flow. It was actually a nice spot to go watch the water, but it did of course obstruct the flow. That's all gone now, with a modern water gate structure that can be opened.

In addition a lot of dredging has taken place.

Good work.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Because it replaces a fixed dam-like structure that obstructed the water flow. It was actually a nice spot to go watch the water, but it did of course obstruct the flow. That's all gone now, with a modern water gate structure that can be opened.

In addition a lot of dredging has taken place.

Good work.

Huge amount of dredging from the floodgates way down to almost down to the bridge over the 121 and massive work on flood walls and defenses have been carried out and currently ongoing. There may have been plenty of tea money flying around but some very good work has been done.

• Like 1

Yes, and in addition to the first half of the year having been very dry, I'm not too worried for this year.

You will still get small flash-floods from sudden heavy rain that's just too much water for the drains to handle, but no widespread major flooding caused by high water levels in the river.

• Like 1

Those "weeds" are valuable and are turned in to all sorts of things,paper furniture etc.

post-51-0-40612600-1373874521.jpg

I think they are now ready for harvesting and the new floodgate has proven to be a great cachment,easy to get to them.

post-51-0-36704000-1373874602_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Aww G . you just don't understand Thai engineering......

I'm with you though..... I think when they close the locks past the city, it increases the elevation of the city proper thus no flooding.

The realistic way to look at it....... there was money involved to do the project..... money trumps common sense anyday here....

re

You will still get small flash-floods from sudden heavy rain that's just too much water for the drains to handle, but no widespread major flooding caused by high water levels in the river.

with the levels weve got so far this year

your probably right smile.png

pic 1 .. 12 july 13

pic 2 .. 7 august 13 .. this morning smile.png

dave2

post-42592-0-93091000-1375869040_thumb.j

post-42592-0-88002800-1375869065_thumb.j

• Like 1

Those "weeds" are valuable and are turned in to all sorts of things,paper furniture etc.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I think they are now ready for harvesting and the new floodgate has proven to be a great cachment,easy to get to them.

....any chance of turning the weeds into a non greed driven politician???

In today's world I doubt if there is any such animal anywhere.

post-51-0-34598300-1375870016_thumb.jpg

Don't you just love the dedication that most Thais show to their work or vocation?

I would say this is a critical period and there hasn't been a posting on the flood chart since yesterday at 6PM. But of course they will fill it all in when the information is not worth a tinkers dam_n.... just for history.

Dedication my &(%$(

The title of this thread says it all........ you want to know about flooding ....... watch the river...

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

re

The title of this thread says it all........ you want to know about flooding ....... watch the river

im on the case gonzo smile.png

its a little bit higher yesterday than last

week so not a problem yet:)

but when the crud coming down starts getting stuck on the road and cant be shifted sad.png

who knows ?

dave2

post-42592-0-92879300-1376099790_thumb.j

Dave, believe me it does give me some comfort to know that you are there with your camera.

When you mentioned the crud coming down the river, were you in any way referring to the chart watchers who do such an unstanding job???

..... and back to another river comment that has been heard, No one seems to have a logical reason to put flood gates south of the city ...... in other words after the waters have gone past the city. But I was informed of this comment yesterday and it would seem to make more logical sense than the location of the gates. I was told that [and this was given without any back up proof, other than possible logic] the location of the locks may have been influenced by someone who has river concession that so as when the dry season comes if need be they could close those locks [gates] and back up the water enableing any one with a riverboat concession to continue smooth operations when the dry season may lower the river to such level to make a problem to the craft plying the river.

Could this be credible??? The Shadow knows......

and to those of us with river concerns...... in critical times we use the river level flood chart levels to guage the rate of increase by hour, so as to make necessary on shore tasks are done if it looks like we are in for a flood.

The hourly post [if they can be believed] are a very good tool to guage by as well as our own eyes on the river. Posting every 12 or more hours, then going back and filling in the blanks is of no value other than an ackknowledgement of slacking off in the dedication to the job column. With the amount of rainfall in the past couple days to the North and up rivers, this river can rise at a very fantastic rate. 12 hours later we may be in an already flooded state.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Hey gang, if you are possibly affected by the river, now is the time to start with a little concern. Seems to be coming up around 4 cm per hour now. Lotsa flotsa in the water too.

Lets hope the flood chart gang stays alert tonight as it is starting to look like a critical period. Quite a bit of rain to the North in the past couple days has led to flooding up there and that water makes its way down to us......... Tell them to open the new gates to the South of town. No need to hold back the river now.

Edited by Gonzo the Face