Riverwatch 2013

Greenside

re

No flooding in the area reported but will post if it starts to happen.

5 days ago the level in town was way down

on what it was when we had the last

floods in sept 11 but weve had quite a lot

of rain in the last week sad.png

pic 1 .. 11 sept 13

pic 2 .. 11 sept 11

dave2

post-42592-0-68684500-1379341470_thumb.j

post-42592-0-46565700-1379341494_thumb.j

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wont. Happen.

Didn't you see recent news articles about all the main reservoirs being at record lows? That means the only thing that's passing is very recent rain, not releases from the basins. And that means it's completely controlled through the new gates.

With the flooding two years ago, Mae Ngat Dam was not very full either. They had normal discharge rates but the Mae Ping river from Chiang Dao and the Mae Taeng River from the mountains to the west got hit by heavy sustained rain. The levels in the dams don't have much to do with flooding in Chiang Mai. Fortunately, we haven't seen rain like that for quite a while.

A few times in the past there have been advance flood warnings because they had to release water from the dam because it was full, and since the river was already high they knew it would overflow, so the level of the dam is important sometimes. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

• 5 weeks later...

I have never seen the Ping so low and slow as over the last few days - until this morning when suddenly levels and flow rates are up although the Flood Chart has not been updated since 6am today- now 12 noon.

I guess a dam has been opened up upstream somewhere? Looks much better now-no muddy river bed showing through, and good for farmers downstream I guess.

I predict a severe water shortage this coming dry season, we have a small river at the

rear of our house, in normal rainy seasons the river can rise up to the top of the 10

steps down to the river, and has been a foot over and flooded the whole garden in

the past.

This year the highest its been, is just to bottom step,so shortage of rain ,add all the

Condos,Malls and housing estates that are been built, more people ,less rainfall,

will result in water shortages, so looking ahead,I have cleaned out my water tank,

checked the pump,I hope it does not happen, but best prepare yourself, its no fun

been without water, the last month they have been working on the water pipes,most

likely connecting to the Condos that are nearly finished,and the water was off for 2

days ,two times without any warning.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I predict a severe water shortage this coming dry season, we have a small river at the

rear of our house, in normal rainy seasons the river can rise up to the top of the 10

steps down to the river, and has been a foot over and flooded the whole garden in

the past.

This year the highest its been, is just to bottom step,so shortage of rain ,add all the

Condos,Malls and housing estates that are been built, more people ,less rainfall,

will result in water shortages, so looking ahead,I have cleaned out my water tank,

checked the pump,I hope it does not happen, but best prepare yourself, its no fun

been without water, the last month they have been working on the water pipes,most

likely connecting to the Condos that are nearly finished,and the water was off for 2

days ,two times without any warning.

regards Worgeordie

Good advice-thanks. Still no entries on Flood Chart site since 6am - now 9pm. Odd coincidence that the day the water suddenly rises, the normal hourly reports stop

Fishy? What gives?