Phuket: Foreign reporting meeting attracts low turnout

webfact

<deleted>..is the meaning of this, what kind of an insult is this to people who just come here to have a nice holiday. I have absolutely nothing to hide and I think on my next holiday here I book hotel from night to night I use to stay here for about 2 months so thats to be about 60 records from each time all in all about 120 per year I suggest everybody do the same so we can keep the police busy, he talk about easy becauce the internet but I know that's its a fact that someone have to have a printed copy here in Thailand..

i run a small hotel/bnb on samui and its always been the law here [for 12 years ] to register all guests

with immigration

nothing new here to complain about

my understanding is it is for tourists only [not legitimate long termers]

if you have been here for years on a tourist visa , your already breaking the law

if some some of my guests break the law / break a part of the property/ damage the rental car etc and dont pay up

we simply call immigration and those offenders are not leaving the country

its simple protection on property/hotel owners part as well

also in case of death by accident [or not as the case may be ]its a simple check to find a missing tourist

this policy is also enforced in many other countries of the world

What the hell is this nonsense?

TO ALL HOTEL OWNERS:

I will not stay at a hotel that I believe is going to report me to the police.

I'm fairly confident that most westerners will feel the same way.

I have nothing to hide. It's the principal of the thing.

Same happens in lots of countries, even in Europe. So looks like you'd better stay home - where the police also know where you are.

Most Westerners don't care. Why would I care that the police know I'm in a certain hotel? Could help in many circumstances.

Seems to always be the phuket police going on about this. Is this just some local phuket policy or nation wide?

My wife owns some apartments in Pattaya, and in May she had a visit from immigration, she had to go down to Jomtien immigration office and register, and provide info on any expats staying in the apartments. Immigration were very helpful while she did this.

So this is not just in Phuket.

Oh, and she does pay taxes, so no issues with sharing information.

"Accommodation owners should check the foreigner’s passport photo matches the person’s face, because sometimes there are issues with a person using a fake passport, Capt Angkarn said. Also required in the reporting form is the type and number of the visa, their arrival date to Thailand, the issue date and expiry date of the visa, and the number of entries to the country available (single or multiple)."

I thought that was immigrations job to do when people first arrive?

• Like 1

TO ALL HOTEL OWNERS:

This is nothing new. This has been in affect for years at least 20 years I know of. So what would happen if your family, back home was not able to contact you about something serious?????? This is too help you!

Seems to always be the phuket police going on about this. Is this just some local phuket policy or nation wide?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is already a old law and it is nation wide required but not really enforced.

• Like 1

maybe the guys up in their ivory tower might consider to stop this nonsense

on the otherhand, this is thailand, so i guess they will try to make a big buck out of people who don't follow their stupid rules

In the last 6 weeks or so, I've stayed n 3 hotels in the Ban Chang / Rayong area. On each occasion, my girlfriend registered with the hotel with none of the hotels asking to see a copy of my passport. Strangely though, the hotel in Rayong did want to see a copy of my driving licence presumably as I had driven there and was leaving the car in the hotel car park.

Alan

Three years ago I wanted to go with my Thai wife for 29 days visit to the Netherlands.

Her visa denied due the fact that I had no income from the Netherlands, I live and work in Thailand since 2003.

Second attempt with invitation letter from my sister she got a visa for 34 days.

Within 24 hours after arriving she had to make a report at local police, we did and found out that the police in the Netherlands changed to provincial immigration offices.

But we could report by internet, thanks for the information by a help full police officer.

We made the internet report and got an e-mail reply to report in person at the immigration office 35 Km away from the place we stay.

We went and than they told her she had to bring the person who invited her together with salary slips and ID.

I showed the e-mail from their office and asked where that was stated.

You should know was the answer. A second officer at the desk was more polite and asked why I was with her. I explained that I'm the husband, showed my passport and told him my sister is working and living 100 km away.

We stay in the house of my parents. He was okay with that answer.

He took her papers and asked Us to wait, we did for almost 1 hour.

Then he give her a yellow card that had to be signed by immigration when leaving the country and send by post to the Dutch Immigration.

For me this looks more hassle than show my passport when checking into a hotel or my 90 days visits to immigration by myself.

The yearly visit for extension we do together and after the 30 minutes we go for a nice lunch and some shopping.

• Like 1

Please be the eye on behalf of the police, this police captain requests. Seems like there is little interest in a US type spy system here in the LOS. Many of us have left the west partly because of the type of spying going on there, on their own citizens. Now, Thailand wants to get into the act too? Hope the resistance continues. Hooray to the resort people who say NO to the nonsense.

• Like 2

Look like we are not welcome anymore... You feel it from the arrogance of certain Thais, increasing everyday.

Look like they don't need us anymore..(?) sure ?

We are not welcome and never was, all they want is our money, just transfer your money to your wife or GF and everybody is happy :-)

Then they need to change their attitudes, in the same way that racist bigots in the UK had to change their attitudes to foreign immigrants since the 1950s. Many of us have families and are here to stay - get used to it!

Edited by sausageandmash
  • Like 1

TO ALL HOTEL OWNERS:

my friend its the law, your principal has no bearing on the matter

Whether it's the law or not, the fact that it's a stupid law, the fact that the meeting had such a low turnout and the fact that most people don't care and won't obey it anyway, makes it irrelevant - rather like your last comment.

• Like 2

Look like we are not welcome anymore... You feel it from the arrogance of certain Thais, increasing everyday.

Look like they don't need us anymore..(?) sure ?

We are not welcome and never was, all they want is our money, just transfer your money to your wife or GF and everybody is happy :-)

Then they need to change their attitudes, in the same way that racist bigots in the UK had to change their attitudes to foreign immigrants since the 1950s. Many of us have families and are here to stay - get used to it!

What makes you so sure you are "here to stay." A simple change of the visa laws and you are gone.

My wife owns some apartments in Pattaya, and in May she had a visit from immigration, she had to go down to Jomtien immigration office and register, and provide info on any expats staying in the apartments. Immigration were very helpful while she did this.

So this is not just in Phuket.

Oh, and she does pay taxes, so no issues with sharing information.

Oh so you bucked the trend on this forum, and 'married up'? laugh.png

Homeowners were only required to fill out a form once a guest arrives. For example, if a guest arrives and stays for a week continuously, only one form is required. However, if they leave the accommodation provider then return again, another form is required.

So no need to report if they stay less than a week ??

Myself live out in the sticks, so when friends and relatives come to Thailand my house is used as a base, so will pick them up from the airport, maybe will stay a day or 3, then they take a small bag and go off for some days, then come back, before going to some other place and coming back.......... so most that come for 3 or 4 weeks stay with me for 1 - 3 nights maybe 7 + times in a month ........ You need to report that ? at end of there total stay ? each time they stay over night ?

if they leave the accommodation provider then return again, another form is required. I must drive 13 km to the nearest Village Police Station after every visit ? so is as clear as mud to me.. and non the wiser

can you imagine filling out the form, taking it to police, taking the form back because a piece of info is incorrect, doing to form again and hope police accept it

It's done on line now, however system is very unstable and often can crash after spending hours doing it.

Often have problems to log in

It is not optimized at all.

It's only in Thai yet you must fill out in English

No way of knowing if its been submitted, so if police claim nothing received no way to prove otherwise.

And online 30 day automatic calculator is wrong, adding further time to input

Homeowners were only required to fill out a form once a guest arrives. For example, if a guest arrives and stays for a week continuously, only one form is required. However, if they leave the accommodation provider then return again, another form is required.

So no need to report if they stay less than a week ??

Myself live out in the sticks, so when friends and relatives come to Thailand my house is used as a base, so will pick them up from the airport, maybe will stay a day or 3, then they take a small bag and go off for some days, then come back, before going to some other place and coming back.......... so most that come for 3 or 4 weeks stay with me for 1 - 3 nights maybe 7 + times in a month ........ You need to report that ? at end of there total stay ? each time they stay over night ?

if they leave the accommodation provider then return again, another form is required. I must drive 13 km to the nearest Village Police Station after every visit ? so is as clear as mud to me.. and non the wiser

Where did you read that for a stay less than a week reporting is not required?

So you report that so and so stayed over night, but not there any-more ? friends stop on route to some place and stay overnight [only required to fill out a form once a guest arrives] ? or you have to drive around trying to find a Police Station open as soon as they arrive ? I no longer drive after dark so no chance of that..

So you report that so and so stayed over night, but not there any-more ? friends stop on route to some place and stay overnight [only required to fill out a form once a guest arrives] ? or you have to drive around trying to find a Police Station open as soon as they arrive ? I no longer drive after dark so no chance of that..

If you have a guest at your house (even only for one night) you need to do the reporting within 24 hours of his arrival.

It does not matter if he is leaving within 24 hrs of his arrival.

The next place where he is staying has to do the reporting again. ( as it is a new address)

But as i mentioned before this is only theoretical and i don't think that anybody is doing this for his private house. (if he has a guest in his house)

Most Thais wont do it because they might have to pay tax on the income from the home they rent !!! The rent is paying for the loan they got from the bank. I have stayed in the same place for more than 4 years and doubt the authorities know, but I always put my address on my arrival card. Believe it or not the number on the arrival / departure card is what they use as an ¨index¨" in their data base.